Latest Body Modification

Grimor

Original poster
Mar 28, 2013
I call it the Never let someone else drive your truck mod...
View attachment 32361
View attachment 32362
View attachment 32363

So, the story is that a semi decided to occupy the same lane as her at the same time so she (yes I let a girl drive my truck) had to leave the road and bounced off a telephone pole. No one hurt, air bags didn't pop, I think the tire might even be ok, looks like it just broke the bead. On a side note, those tires are great, good snow traction, very little road noise.

Attachments

• IMG_20140127_121013.jpg
    IMG_20140127_121013.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_20140127_121005.jpg
    IMG_20140127_121005.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_20140127_121048.jpg
    IMG_20140127_121048.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 59

Sir ffeJ

Dec 1, 2011
ouch, glad to hear she is ok.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Glad no one got hurt, but damn that had to suck to see that kinda damage to your truck. Hope the insurance company plays nice with you.

amweaver47

May 15, 2012
At least the only thing injured was the TrailBlazer. Sucker did a number on that pole though; That's a splinter I wouldn't want to have.

Grimor

Original poster
Mar 28, 2013
Blckshdw said:
Glad no one got hurt, but damn that had to suck to see that kinda damage to your truck. Hope the insurance company plays nice with you.

The Ins agency (USAA) is already talking about totaling it out. I'd like to get it fixed but if they total it out I'd still buy it back.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Wow that sucks! What kind of damage can we not see? That is probably why they want to total it...

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
Play tough witaren'turance. Might be 70% damage of value for a totalled loss.

Glad your friend was okay and that you had a TB to lend. The outcome could have been much different.

Argue the newer tire value too! They look nice, argue for any possible value increase.

Hopefully you aren't terribly screwed on your next insurance policy.

Grimor

Original poster
Mar 28, 2013
Playsinsnow said:
Play tough witaren'turance. Might be 70% damage of value for a totalled loss.

Glad your friend was okay and that you had a TB to lend. The outcome could have been much different.

Argue the newer tire value too! They look nice, argue for any possible value increase.

Hopefully you aren't terribly screwed on your next insurance policy.
I have all the receipts since I bought it not too long ago. side steps, front hitch, new tires (only a couple thousand miles), etc.. so I'll definitely be pushing for a higher value.

If they put the value less than 6k, I'm sure it will be a loss. But we'll see what they say. If they total it, I should be able to buy it back for 10-20% of value. I'll keep the thread updated with results.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
How fast was the pole hit at?

To me it just looks like front/left body damage, and a headlight assembly, and done. What else was damaged on it?

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
IllogicTC said:

To me it just looks like front/left body damage, and a headlight assembly, and done. What else was damaged on it?

Bumper cover, liner, possibly the bumper.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Ouch! Well, upgrade time I guess :crazy:

Grimor

Original poster
Mar 28, 2013
IllogicTC said:

bout 30mph. To get back to how it was; fender, bumper cover, bumper(maybe), hood, tire(maybe) headlight, drivers door (fender slid back and curled the front of the door) and whatever it takes to get the alignment right. Other stuff might be radiator, AC condenser, Tire Rim... I haven't actually seen it in person yet.

JamesL3

Oct 16, 2013
Northfield, OH
Sorry to hear. In my recent experience in a somewhat similar scenario, they will most likely place the driver at fault. You'll be out of pocket on the deductible in order to get it fixed. Hopefully it's not going to be totalled out. Good thing everyone's ok. Besides the TB at least. Keep us posted!

triz

Apr 22, 2013
Looks to be about 2000-2500 worth of damage. Glad she's okay.

seanpooh

Jan 24, 2012
My 02 was totaled because repairs would cost ~$5,500+$500 deductible for having 183K miles at that time.

Your 06 has to be worth more for it not to be totaled out.

The bright side is if it is totaled and you buy it back, get all the parts from RockAuto and buy more upgrades with the left over check.

Grimor

Original poster
Mar 28, 2013
just got the update earlier today. it's going back to the body shop with a check for 4 grand to get fixed

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
That's not too bad.

seanpooh

Jan 24, 2012
Nope, your ride will will be on the road in no time. Body shop can't fit me in until March. Better that way, can't let the snow ruin the new paint job.

Grimor

Original poster
Mar 28, 2013
So, I talked to the Body shop and told them I just ordered a WIY (weld it yourself) bumper kit from Bartonmd so they aren't going to order the front bumper parts. Save a little money since I was planning on ordering one anyway. I just went with the body lift one so now I'm kinda obligated to do the body lift soon.

I wonder if I can get the body shop to put it on.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Lots of lift guys up in/near Chi to help you otherwise.

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
Grimor said:
So, I talked to the Body shop and told them I just ordered a WIY (weld it yourself) bumper kit from Bartonmd so they aren't going to order the front bumper parts. Save a little money since I was planning on ordering one anyway. I just went with the body lift one so now I'm kinda obligated to do the body lift soon.

I wonder if I can get the body shop to put it on.

I guess you should have waited on new tires, your going to need them a little (or a lot :biggrin:) bigger.

Glad no one was hurt.

Grimor

Original poster
Mar 28, 2013
Still hasn't been touched by the body shop, but the good news is that Chevy has a price match policy for aftermarket parts, so getting OEM parts.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Grimor said:
Still hasn't been touched by the body shop, but the good news is that Chevy has a price match policy for aftermarket parts, so getting OEM parts.

Oh really, I didn't know they did that :undecided:

Grimor

Original poster
Mar 28, 2013
I don't know any details other than this message from the body shop

You are correct that if we find hidden damage, we will call U.S.A.A.
As far as After Market parts they are just that “After Market”.
We have used them in the past and the fit is what it is.

My parts dept. just got done looking up the parts for your truck.
G.M. has a price match program and we can price match ALL the parts with new G.M. parts for you.

And these are body parts, so I don't know what else it would apply to

Grimor

Original poster
Mar 28, 2013
Well, the body work is done, just got back from paint. I had em remove the pin stripe while they had it.

View attachment 33058

I should of saved some money and not had them replace that front bow tie, I think I'm going to shave it.

Attachments

• IMG_20140305_181641_992.jpg
    IMG_20140305_181641_992.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 25

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Grimor said:
Well, the body work is done, just got back from paint. I had em remove the pin stripe while they had it.

View attachment 20491

I should of saved some money and not had them replace that front bow tie, I think I'm going to shave it.

You going to drive it without a bumper cover or is that still left on the to-do list?

Grimor

Original poster
Mar 28, 2013
dmanns67 said:
You going to drive it without a bumper cover or is that still left on the to-do list?

I have a 3" body lift WIY bumper from Bartonmd that I'll be putting on as soon as I get the body lift on. Was hoping it would be warmer by now but one way or another it's getting put on soon. I've seen people drive around with the cover off, it's not the worst looking thing temporarily.

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
I wonder if the price match is for all of us, or if it applies only to licensed body shops or something. It might even be their local shop. I've checked and can't find anything, and called a friend (he works in the parts dept at a Buick - GMC dealer) and he'd never heard of it.

Grimor - can you check with your body shop when you get a minute? If it's there but just unpublished, we might be in for a windfall.

Thanks

Grimor

Original poster
Mar 28, 2013
mcsteven said:
I wonder if the price match is for all of us, or if it applies only to licensed body shops or something. It might even be their local shop. I've checked and can't find anything, and called a friend (he works in the parts dept at a Buick - GMC dealer) and he'd never heard of it.

Grimor - can you check with your body shop when you get a minute? If it's there but just unpublished, we might be in for a windfall.

Thanks

yeah, I'll ask if I remember when I talk to them again. Got the truck back today but the broke mirror is still broke. The body shop guy said the adjuster didn't wanna pay for it saying it was broke before. So I called bullshit and sent them (my ins) pictures from a few months ago and told them they need to fix it. I don't think it'll be a problem, my ins really has been pretty good about everything so far.

Grimor

Original poster
Mar 28, 2013
well, another wonderful day in trailblazer land. Picked it up, a couple little issues to address with the body shop but nothing major. Going to pick up my kid on the highway, doing about 65 and get a CEL. Not the end of the world but didn't have the code reader in at the time. Hit the gas to get around a car and instead of kicking down the engine revs and then makes a weird squealing sound. before I can get to a place to stop; a loud clunk, total loss of engine power, oil smoke from under the hood and out the exhaust and I coast to a stop in Neutral. Nothing other than the CEL, no temp or oil lights. no big oil puddle under the truck. and the engine is full of oil but it smells a little burnt. Engine code was just P0014

Now the truly awesome part, it sounds like the engine is locked. I hit the key and the starter hits but won't crank the engine at all. the hazards are on for about an hour and when I get back in the battery is about dead.

I called my ins, I don't have roadside assistance or towing on my plan but I just said it was related to the accident (who knows) and had them tow it back to the body shop.

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
Grimor said:
Now the truly awesome part, it sounds like the engine is locked. I hit the key and the starter hits but won't crank the engine at all. the hazards are on for about an hour and when I get back in the battery is about dead.

Crap. Hope it gets worked out. If it is related, the body shop and the adjuster didn't do a good job. Hopefully it gets resolved soon. Good luck with it.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
oh that sucks big time.

willbill92

Feb 15, 2014
Grimor said:
The Ins agency (USAA) is already talking about totaling it out. I'd like to get it fixed but if they total it out I'd still buy it back.

My Voy was hit in a parking lot a few years back and it was pushed about 30-40 yards from where it was parked and the insurance company didn't total it. (they should have because my frame is twisted like hell) But when it was hit it was still under the dealer warranty so I had the damage assessed there and they said it was fine and all they did was put some new doors on her. If you look closely at the side pics of my voy you'll see that the door seams aren't straight but at this point I am glad they didnt total her because she has been a pretty damn reliable car. :thumbsup:

willbill92

Feb 15, 2014
Grimor said:

Did you try to spin you fan if you still have it connected to your water pump that is. I had my water pump go a couple weeks ago and it sounded like the engine was locked but the fan would still spin. And when I tried to start it it wouldnt do anything until I had it fixed.

Grimor

Original poster
Mar 28, 2013
willbill92 said:
Did you try to spin you fan if you still have it connected to your water pump that is. I had my water pump go a couple weeks ago and it sounded like the engine was locked but the fan would still spin. And when I tried to start it it wouldn't do anything until I had it fixed.

I can spin the fan, but the clutch isn't engaged so it's just the fan.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
06_4.2_4x4_ls

Members Online