last minute P0440 code

meerschm

Original poster
Aug 26, 2012
Just wanted to share.

I sold my TB, but last Tuesday, I had arranged to drive to my office to meet the then-prospective buyer at lunch time.

a few miles from home, the MIL ( or Check engine light) came on. I detoured back to the house to pick up my OBB Link cord, so i could hook up to my laptop and read the cause of the code. (and reset the light)

was the P0440, which as we all know is the vapor pressure test in the emissions system, frequently caused by a loose gas cap, but sometimes a more expensive problem.

on the way to work, I also filled it with gas, wanting to be a nice guy to the buyer. I was honest, and told him about the light, that I thought it was the loose gas cap, but that I would fix whatever it was prior to the sale.

on deeper reading, I ended up driving to work a couple days, to burn off some gas, since the vapor pressure test will not run until you get below 85% fuel level.

when I completed the sale today, I shared that the check engine light was, indeed caused by the loose gas cap, and explained the bit about having to get below 85% to run the test again. he asked how I knew that level of detail.

I told him it was in those books he did not want to buy. (service manual set)

Thanks for all the help over the past couple years, and for the chance to read through the manuals looking to help other folks with challenges, and for the odd strange diversion into the details of practical automotive technology.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Should have left a note saying GMTNATION.COM in there. Then the new guy can enjoy having a place to come to when eventually something fails, instead of trusting it to Google.

meerschm

Original poster
Aug 26, 2012
It sounded like he had a neighbor he planned to lean on.

he has my e-mail, and if he ever does call looking for help, I will be sure to point him here.

you guys (inclusive) are great.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online