Kooks 4.2L I6 Header

novajoe

Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
I am sorry that kooks did not take the time to redirect the account. I was laid-off in November. Here is the update. My Trailblazer will be in for final test fitting on Jan 8th. If you have any questions please contact Koolaid at Kooks (yes that is his name).
koolaid@kookscustomheaders.com

Or PM me and if I have the answer I will tell you.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Sorry that you lost your job, that really sucks :frown:

novajoe

Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
Sparky said:
Sorry that you lost your job, that really sucks :frown:

Yes it does but I can always find something new! I have been hitting the pavement I lately so have'nt been on-line a lot.

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
According to the PCM4less Facebook page, they have an I6 Trailblazer with Kooks headers on it at the shop for tuning and dyno.....

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
jimmyjam said:
According to the PCM4less Facebook page, they have an I6 Trailblazer with Kooks headers on it at the shop for tuning and dyno.....

Good to know, Ive been wondering when Im going to get the email saying they're going to charge my CC and ship mine. :thumbsup:

novajoe

Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
Well the wait is over! Kooks has my TB at the shop and it should be done on Monday!

I would also like to thank the staff at PCM of NC they are extremly knowledgeable and friendly. They did the bone stock pulls this morning.

Attachments

• preheaderdyno.jpg
    preheaderdyno.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 59

scorpio1

Dec 12, 2012
Not a bad set of baseline #'s for completely stock. And I can't wait to see what the header can do for a stock 4.2!

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Be nice to have a baseline number for those like myself which are not completely stock and may have wrung most of the power available out of it and see if headers could add to that....got tune, catback, intake opened w free flow filter. Pretty common mods for us and effective. I wonder if there is anything left for the headers to do.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
novajoe said:
Well the wait is over! Kooks has my TB at the shop and it should be done on Monday!

I would also like to thank the staff at PCM of NC they are extremly knowledgeable and friendly. They did the bone stock pulls this morning.

What are the before mpg numbers? That has been a big promise of these headers.

novajoe

Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
HARDTRAILZ said:
What are the before mpg numbers? That has been a big promise of these headers.

In town average 13.4
Highway average 20.1
3 month total average 17.8

This TB does the same drive daily so it should be very easy to repeat this test once the header is installed.

Pittdawg

Dec 5, 2011
novajoe said:

Those numbers look exactly right for a 2004 4X4. 275hp/tq x ~29% drivetrain loss equals 196hp/tq. Whatever gains the headers give you should be slightly upgraded for 2 wheel drive guys with deeper gearing (i.e. 3.73 and 4.10). I assume you have 3.42 gears correct?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Pittdawg said:
Those numbers look exactly right for a 2004 4X4. 275hp/tq x ~29% drivetrain loss equals 196hp/tq. Whatever gains the headers give you should be slightly upgraded for 2 wheel drive guys with deeper gearing (i.e. 3.73 and 4.10). I assume you have 3.42 gears correct?

Deeper gearing...lower gearing... will actually decrease the HP and torque numbers.

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
Good numbers, is this with 87 or 91/93 octane?

Be happy to see the before/after numbers as well, personally the MPG is icing on the cake as I think I need a new cat and possibly a manifold (have to double check). Coupled with my K&N FIPK2, Magnaflow dual catback, and custom tune this header should complement everything nicely! :thumbsup:

Ill tell everyone this, my SS sounds a LOT better with my Kooks and my mileage has either stayed the same or better. Wont know for sure until I get my tune finished and drive it for a week to get real world #s.

Pittdawg

Dec 5, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
Deeper gearing...lower gearing... will actually decrease the HP and torque numbers.

Interesting...i thought at least torque would increase due to greater torque multiplication?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Pittdawg said:
Interesting...i thought at least torque would increase due to greater torque multiplication?

Its actually really complicated why, but it does work out that way. I did not think it would make any difference, but it does. While your dyno numbers go down with lower gears, your performance goes up in real life. Kinda surprising.

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
novajoe said:
I run 93 in the Trail Blazer. It has always run better with 93.

Good to know, this makes a big difference though. Ive done a lot of testing over the years with 87 and 91 octane on my 02, even all stock I was getting KR and slight pinging on 87. 91 livened it up a bit and removed most of the KR. Then tuned it and got 0 KR on 87 and 91. :cool:

Kuchar09

Dec 4, 2011
Well I took my TB to the dealer today and have a cracked manifold so I decided take the jump on the last available header (I believe) and gave Koolaid a call for all my info.
Not to sound stupid but are there any options that I should be considering to add to my order?
He mentioned something about green tips but I didn't have much time to ask him what exactly that was. I also see that some people are adding a coating to their purchase... Guess I have a little research to do.

novajoe

Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
Kuchar09 said:
Well I took my TB to the dealer today and have a cracked manifold so I decided take the jump on the last available header (I believe) and gave Koolaid a call for all my info.
Not to sound stupid but are there any options that I should be considering to add to my order?
He mentioned something about green tips but I didn't have much time to ask him what exactly that was. I also see that some people are adding a coating to their purchase... Guess I have a little research to do.

I belive he was talking about Green cats. Kooks is the first company to get an EPA certified hiflow cat. This cat is supost to prevent the SES light problems with useing a hi flow cat without a tune. As far as options on these headers would be Coatings, extra O2bung, and Green cat. unless they added something else that I wasn't told about.

Kuchar09

Dec 4, 2011
novajoe said:
I belive he was talking about Green cats. Kooks is the first company to get an EPA certified hiflow cat. This cat is supost to prevent the SES light problems with useing a hi flow cat without a tune. As far as options on these headers would be Coatings, extra O2bung, and Green cat. unless they added something else that I wasn't told about.

OK thanks I think that's exactly what he was talking about since I brought something up about needing a tune and he said it would be highly recommended without that... Thanks!!

scorpio1

Dec 12, 2012
My biggest worry assuming they turn out to be a good upgrade... is Kooks will do this run and if sales dont trend high right away they will discontinue it before po folk like myself can wrangle the cash to get one. I went through this with my beloved J-body Cavalier a lot. Its disheartening to build vehicles that lose the only support they get.:crazy:

novajoe

Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
A couple pics of the header build.

Attachments

• tbheader.jpg
    tbheader.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 280
  • tbheader2.jpg
    tbheader2.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 278

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
Bartonmd said:
I would think the header would need to be done, first... Look a little closer at the picture...

Mike

Lol, bet it sounded nasty if they fired it like that. :cool:

novajoe

Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
There were a couple of kinks in the inital design. Chris told me it should be done on Friday. Then it is off to the dyno.

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
look at all that room in there.... has to be one of the easier header installs

novajoe

Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
It looks so much better than the rusted hunk of cast iron. I can't wait to see how it looks when it is finished.

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
jimmyjam said:
look at all that room in there.... has to be one of the easier header installs

Looks a heck of a lot easier than installing headers on a SS, especially 1 7/8" headers. :duh:

Kooks Headers

Jan 17, 2013
I would like to introduce myself I have been doing the Technical support at Kooks for the past 15 months. I am a World Class GM Tech, with 20 years experience and hold 13 ASE Certifications. I am fully confident I will be able to assist you with your Truck.
Stay up to date on our FaceBook page;
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kooks...s/200935330944
Instagram @kooksheaders

Drew Amitrano
Sales & Tech Representative
Kook's Custom Headers
141 Advantage Place
Statesville, NC 28677
Phone - (704) 768-2288 x218
Fax - (704) 768-2266
Email - drew@kookscustomheaders.com
Web - Kooks Custom Headers - Home

Attachments

• IMG_0316_zps8350046a.jpg
    IMG_0316_zps8350046a.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0315_zpsba9eb290.jpg
    IMG_0315_zpsba9eb290.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0314_zps79e8d15c.jpg
    IMG_0314_zps79e8d15c.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0252_zps0be231d7.jpg
    IMG_0252_zps0be231d7.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0250_zpsfaccc0d6.jpg
    IMG_0250_zpsfaccc0d6.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 11

fishsticks

Nov 21, 2011
The last set of headers I did was on an LT1 F-body. Let me tell you a story... :biggrin:

Joe, do you have am email contact I can get a hold of over there? The card I gave you way back when expired in Dec. I need to update my information.

Hope your job hunt is going well.

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
fishsticks said:
The last set of headers I did was on an LT1 F-body. Let me tell you a story... :biggrin:

Joe, do you have am email contact I can get a hold of over there? The card I gave you way back when expired in Dec. I need to update my information.

Wonder if it involves dropping the subframe with the engine/trans still attached so you could swap them? Just did that on my dad's Audi A6, to replace the cats that's what's involved. Let me just say, never again unless I have a lift.

For the SS you just have to unbolt both engine mounts and the trans mount, then gently shove with as much force as you can the engine to the opposite side so they'll drop in. Fun stuff.

novajoe

Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
fishsticks said:

Yes I am sending everyone to Koolaid (yes this is his name) he will get you taken care of. koolaid@kookscustomheaders.com

novajoe

Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
ScarabEpic22 said:
Wonder if it involves dropping the subframe with the engine/trans still attached so you could swap them? Just did that on my dad's Audi A6, to replace the cats that's what's involved. Let me just say, never again unless I have a lift.

For the SS you just have to unbolt both engine mounts and the trans mount, then gently shove with as much force as you can the engine to the opposite side so they'll drop in. Fun stuff.

Just sold my 94 WS6 TA with a built 396 LT4 M6 and longtube headers. Even going in from the bottom was tight.

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
novajoe said:
Just sold my 94 WS6 TA with a built 396 LT4 M6 and longtube headers. Even going in from the bottom was tight.

But were you able to do it without dropping the subframe? I didnt even try to do the manifolds on this Audi, the cat/downpipes were bad enough. No wonder the dealer wanted 3500 to replace the cats, probably 2000 is for labor alone. I have 30 hours into it already, still have an exhaust leak to fix.

fishsticks

Nov 21, 2011
ScarabEpic22 said:
But were you able to do it without dropping the subframe? I didnt even try to do the manifolds on this Audi, the cat/downpipes were bad enough. No wonder the dealer wanted 3500 to replace the cats, probably 2000 is for labor alone. I have 30 hours into it already, still have an exhaust leak to fix.

Jack motor up on either side, and you need to remove the steering linkage. Also, everything on an FBody SUCKS to get at with stock manifolds and the Y pipe bolts like to seize.

I despise working on VWs. My wife has one.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timmerk

Members Online