SOLVED! Knocking in suspension. Help greatly appreciated

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
If its still my links causing the knock could I just disconnect them and drive it as a test? Not sure if I would have to undo the entire bar or just links.

Just undo the links and zip tie the bar out of the way that way you can determine if that is the root cause.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Just undo the links and zip tie the bar out of the way that way you can determine if that is the root cause.

Definitely a good suggestion. There is no issue driving without them. I did it for years and am doing it currently. Just be a lil careful on big turns if you are not used to it.

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Definitely a good suggestion. There is no issue driving without them. I did it for years and am doing it currently. Just be a lil careful on big turns if you are not used to it.

I learned that 1 from you :2thumbsup: many, many moons ago. I even used it on the Voy and tbss to trace things down.

Reactions: HARDTRAILZ

MBS1994

Original poster
May 26, 2019
Colorado
So do yourself a favor. There is that diagonal bar under your hood, one above the battery, and one above the air filter. Make sure that the 2 bolts for the one on the air filter are tight, and the 3 for the one at the battery are tight. I had a knocking for 6 months on mine last year. I replaced a lot of stuff trying to track it down. The bolt was loose for the one over my air filter, and every time my body flexed (going over whatever bump, or dip in the road), it would bang because the bolts were not tight.
I'll most definitely check but if feels down real low

HOLY SHIT... This is one of the videos that got this dangerous idiot banned from the facebook groups. This is the kit called the DEATH LIFT. He is not one that should be used as an example of anything but an uneducated and irresponsible internet poster that will literally get people hurt with his unfounded suggestions and advisement of truly dangerous components.
Oh so maybe don't take his to heart and maybe just a few key points

I'm sure its probably a yes but I don't trust my self enough but that would clarify if its links and or bushings right? I'm gonna like around with a pry bar also

Does anyone think a good impact would help with all this? Just go over every single bolt I touched to make sure they are nice and tight? Or no?

Reactions: mrrsm

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Not reliable or? Maybe just a torque wrench
If you put an impact to a nut or bolt that only need 33ft lbs it will go snap!

Best bet would be to back them out clean the thread and nut add some loctite and use a torque wrench. I keep that screen shot of the specs everytime I work on the front end. I've also got the spec's for the rear.20190517_130217.jpg
20190517_131712.jpg

MBS1994

Original poster
May 26, 2019
Colorado
If you put an impact to a nut or bolt that only need 33ft lbs it will go snap!

Best bet would be to back them out clean the thread and nut add some loctite and use a torque wrench. I keep that screen shot of the specs everytime I work on the front end. I've also got the spec's for the rear.View attachment 88930
View attachment 88931
Ugh I'm getting so frustrated of this lol. Yes if I could have those torque specs on the rear also I'd appreciate it

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
This is from tbssowners.com for the rear I don't think there's much if any difference between the full line of 360's. Screenshot_20190529-165018_Samsung Internet.jpg

You will find the service manuals for all 360's and 370's in @Mooseman Signature, those things come in handy all the time for me.

Don't get yourself frustrated think of it as a learning curve! No one was born knowing this stuff we all just picked it up, some faster then others but we get with the program. :2thumbsup:

MBS1994

Original poster
May 26, 2019
Colorado
I'm just
This is from tbssowners.com for the rear I don't think there's much if any difference between the full line of 360's. View attachment 88935

You will find the service manuals for all 360's and 370's in @Mooseman Signature, those things come in handy all the time for me.

Don't get yourself frustrated think of it as a learning curve! No one was born knowing this stuff we all just picked it up, some faster then others but we get with the program. :2thumbsup:
[/QUO

I'm just ready to do the exhaust, some thing I've actually done before 😂 I'll definitely keep trying as time allows but might break soon and take it to a......mechanic....[/Q

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
As mentioned, it's a learning experience. We all started there. I had a helluva learning curve when I had my first TB and an engine swap right off the bat. And it was a basket case.

You could use an impact for removing and installing bolts and nuts but final torque has to be with the torque wrench.

MBS1994

Original poster
May 26, 2019
Colorado
As mentioned, it's a learning experience. We all started there. I had a helluva learning curve when I had my first TB and an engine swap right off the bat. And it was a basket case.

You could use an impact for removing and installing bolts and nuts but final torque has to be with the torque wrench.
I think I was probably rushing or falling in the trap of tight is tight mindset. I honestly think my best bet is going to be to back off all bolts, clean threads, lock tight them, and torque spec it all. Guess its better than where I am at now.

Oh and on that topic, how am I supposed to torque the strut nut to torque spec if I have to have a allan key to hold it in place?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Beats me. I just made sure that when the nut was snugged down the spring was compressed enough to put zero pressure on the upper mount (otherwise you might not be able to get the nut tightened down and you'll get a clunk there. Been there, done that too!). Then I gave it a final yank to make sure it was tight and left it at that.

MBS1994

Original poster
May 26, 2019
Colorado
Beats me. I just made sure that when the nut was snugged down the spring was compressed enough to put zero pressure on the upper mount (otherwise you might not be able to get the nut tightened down and you'll get a clunk there. Been there, done that too!). Then I gave it a final yank to make sure it was tight and left it at that.
Um I'm scared of the answer but was that BEFORE you put it in the car lol

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
For use with Metric Allen Fasteners to restrain them... $15.00 @ Amazon:

1559202494015.png

...while using a Right Angle Crow's Foot on your Torque Wrench for securing the Nut... $14.00 @ Amazon:

METRICROWSFOOTSET.jpg
As long as the Torque Wrench-to-Crowsfoot relationships are Maintained at a Right Angle to one another...you need not be concerned with having to do any exotic "Torque Math" to approximate the use of a Normal Socket:

"If the Crows Foot is put on at a 90° angle and not at the end increasing the length, it will not effectively change the torque value. The overall length of the lever will be the same for the applied force."

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The torque wrench is more for critical components like axle nuts, ball joints, brake caliper bolts and especially internal engine components. For the strut mounts with the Allen keys, I'd just tighten it down until the stud stops turning on its own and then use the torque wrench. For end links, I use the breaker bar because those have to be over-tightened to prevent them from getting loose and egging out the mounting holes.

Reactions: xavierny25

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Um I'm scared of the answer but was that BEFORE you put it in the car lol
It was in the vehicle. I heard the clunking during the test drive.

MBS1994

Original poster
May 26, 2019
Colorado
Hmmmm anyone see a issue lol I think I found part of my problem

Attachments

• 20190530_141053.jpg
    20190530_141053.jpg
    380.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 20190530_141039.jpg
    20190530_141039.jpg
    340.9 KB · Views: 35
  • 20190530_141028.jpg
    20190530_141028.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

Mathoran

May 3, 2012
Don't think loosening the bottom will do anything. Probably have to take the strut/spring assembly apart again and re-assemble with the strut centered. I don't remember there being that much play in the upper mount though.

Just looked at mine. Stock mounts are different. They stick up through that big hole. Yours look different.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Did you use new mounts or reuse old?

Mathoran

May 3, 2012
Looks like that kit replaces the upper mounts.

Install Instructions

seems like those black bushing in photo 3 and 4 should center the strut unless its supposed to change the geometry, but that's just a guess since I don't know what the inside of the spacers looks like.

MBS1994

Original poster
May 26, 2019
Colorado
Looks like that kit replaces the upper mounts.

Install Instructions

seems like those black bushing in photo 3 and 4 should center the strut unless its supposed to change the geometry, but that's just a guess since I don't know what the inside of the spacers looks like.
I was just looking at it on my break and that side is real loose up top. Think if I tighten it down it will straighten it out or do I need to pull it apart?

I was just looking at it on my break and that side is real loose up top. Think if I tighten it down it will straighten it out or do I need to pull it apart?
Just realised. I asked twice. My apologies. I'm just frustrated

MBS1994

Original poster
May 26, 2019
Colorado
Stupid question maybe but springs scare me. With that top bolt loose if I undo the arm from the strut is there a chance everything comes undone?

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Never Remove that Restraining Nut from the Center Shaft of the Shock Absorber WITHOUT FIRST COMPRESSING AND RESTRAINING THE ALREADY COMPRESSED COIL SPRING...

You're being Wise when listening to your "Inner 6th Sense of Mechanical Caution". This is The Signature Thread on this Important Subject.. .and well worth your time to read; observing proper precautions to avoid experiencing serious injury or death as a result of not using the Right Tools and Following the Proper Procedures:

Image Courtesy @hockeyman... Notice that the 'Unknown Injured Party' either placed the Two Strut Compressors TOO CLOSE TO ONE ANOTHER on a single side... or they Slipped and Wound up suddenly being on the SAME SIDE... allowing the Compressed Spring to Explosively Release from their Control and Strike and Injure the Poor Fellow. Notice also that he was apparently using an Electric 1/2" Impact Gun... which is a SERIOUS NO-NO ... and for which he obviously Paid Dearly for his Mistake:

WTFHAPPENEDHERE.jpg

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online