Killing the TPMS on the Trailblazer

$ Khalid ! 9130

Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
KSA
Hi everyone

Has been a while since I was here due to my finals going on atm. But have got some free time now and what else to focus on except my ride.

Anyways I have had the TPMS light on my Trailblazer ever since I got the car. Now the TPMS is not mandatory here in Saudi Arabia and neither required for our MVPI (Motor Vehicle Periodic Inspection).

I for one check my tire pressures every week or so. And since the car is used it has tires that are about 8 years old and I don't think I will be replacing them anytime soon (Dad ain't paying soo soon). And since my Trailblazer is an LS I get nothing but the ugly TPMS light on the dash every single time. Now if I had the DIC panel and all with the tire pressure reading, I would plan on keeping the TPMS.

I have read through some of the other threads and can't seem to find a way to either disable the system or the light on the dash.

Any comments, ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated as always :smile:

$ Khalid ! 9130

Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
KSA
either electrical tape over the light, or open up the cluster and remove the light...

mine is on all the time.

Haahahha. Why didn't I think of that!

I was looking for a more "technical" solution :2thumbsup:

It is slowly getting to me. At first I was like no big deal but it is slowly getting to me :Banghead:

paul2005tb

Nov 26, 2014
Massachusetts
kinda like my engine light due to the SAIS got to me 4 years ago... it is still getting to me and eventually Im going to call PCM4Less to get it fixed

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Doubt they can do anything. It's not in the PCM, but the BCM.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Haahahha. Why didn't I think of that!

I was looking for a more "technical" solution :2thumbsup:

It is slowly getting to me. At first I was like no big deal but it is slowly getting to me :Banghead:

Below is some info from one of the other many TPMS threads on this topic. You can give the fuse trick a try if you can live without RKE.

I know disabling the TPMS was talked about a lot with the SS owners with those members running aftermarket wheels or drag setups. A few of them tried to use the TechII and also went to the dealership to have the TPMS disabled and both attempts were unsuccessful. They can see the TPMS on is enabled on the TechII, but does not give them an option to disable.

However, I have also read that SS owners have pulled fuses #3 and #19 from the rear fuse box. This disabled the TPMS for them, but also disabled remote keyless entry. If you can live without RKE, then this would be an option.

Reactions: $ Khalid ! 9130

fletch09

Nov 20, 2011
i too had try to get the TPMS disabled because i run different wheels in winter.
talked to a friend that is a certified GM mechanic and at least in the US, it is not illegally possible for them to do it. i just live with the light for approx. 6 months :twocents:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Since it's just a light, I'd try to find which wire feeds that light and cut it.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL

$ Khalid ! 9130

Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
KSA
Below is some info from one of the other many TPMS threads on this topic. You can give the fuse trick a try if you can live without RKE.

I know disabling the TPMS was talked about a lot with the SS owners with those members running aftermarket wheels or drag setups. A few of them tried to use the TechII and also went to the dealership to have the TPMS disabled and both attempts were unsuccessful. They can see the TPMS on is enabled on the TechII, but does not give them an option to disable.

However, I have also read that SS owners have pulled fuses #3 and #19 from the rear fuse box. This disabled the TPMS for them, but also disabled remote keyless entry. If you can live without RKE, then this would be an option.

Yeah I had seen them but I can't live without the RKE. I was concerned more about just getting rid of the light in the dash rather than the whole system :2thumbsup:

i too had try to get the TPMS disabled because i run different wheels in winter.
talked to a friend that is a certified GM mechanic and at least in the US, it is not illegally possible for them to do it. i just live with the light for approx. 6 months :twocents:

No such thing as WINTER here, so I have it on all the damn time :Banghead:. And really if it was with the DIC then I would pay to have them fixed so I could keep track of the air pressures. But since mine don't have a DIC the system is pretty much useless to me as I check my pressures regularly due to old tires (greater possibility of getting in nails and what not :blinkhuh:)

Since it's just a light, I'd try to find which wire feeds that light and cut it.

I will have a look at the wiring diagrams and check it out :compu-punch:

:iagree: and do an LED swap of the filament bulbs while you're at it. :biggrin:

Ohh I would really love to do that Carlton, but I am not really "experienced" enough to do all the soldering and de-soldering at the moment. Also it doesn't help that it is really hard to get parts (LEDS and what not) here :cry:. Although if you are willing to do it for me LED Master I wouldn't mind :tongue:. This is where I wish the bulbs were like my 2000 model Camry with which a simple bulb swap was required :sadcry:

coolasice

Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
I will have a look at the wiring diagrams and check it out :compu-punch:
The light is commanded on by the pcm/bcm via the databus. there is no wire. it is controlled explicitly by the instrument cluster via transistor/wire traces or what not. the easiest option would be to disassemble the IPC and either remove the led, or apply tape over the gauge face to cover it.

kickass audio

Aug 25, 2012
As previously said, the easiest and cheapest solution is to take your cluster apart and just pull the light for the TPMS system. I don't know if you have a DIC cluster if that would display a warning on the screen about the tire pressure or if it just lights up on the dash and that's it.

The more expensive fix is to buy a module that gets paired up to your truck and acts as the sensors on your truck and sends the command to the truck as if all the tires are fine.

$ Khalid ! 9130

Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
KSA
The light is commanded on by the pcm/bcm via the databus. there is no wire. it is controlled explicitly by the instrument cluster via transistor/wire traces or what not. the easiest option would be to disassemble the IPC and either remove the led, or apply tape over the gauge face to cover it.

I will think about removing the led only. Or I will just have to live with it :frown:

As previously said, the easiest and cheapest solution is to take your cluster apart and just pull the light for the TPMS system. I don't know if you have a DIC cluster if that would display a warning on the screen about the tire pressure or if it just lights up on the dash and that's it.

The more expensive fix is to buy a module that gets paired up to your truck and acts as the sensors on your truck and sends the command to the truck as if all the tires are fine.

TBH if I had the DIC I would have gotten it fixed at the dealership since its more useful and you can monitor your tire pressures etc. But its a non-DIC truck as I mentioned above (if you missed that) so yeah....

I have never heard about the module you are talking about. Time to check the World Wide Web for more info :popcorn:

kickass audio

Aug 25, 2012
I will think about removing the led only. Or I will just have to live with it :frown:

TBH if I had the DIC I would have gotten it fixed at the dealership since its more useful and you can monitor your tire pressures etc. But its a non-DIC truck as I mentioned above (if you missed that) so yeah....

I have never heard about the module you are talking about. Time to check the World Wide Web for more info :popcorn:

I tried to look for it and can't for the life of me find the module I saw last year. Someone made a bypass module themselves that they stuck under their dashboard to trick the TPMS system to think it was inflated properly. I guess you can only just disconnect the light on your dash and be all set. Sorry I couldn't find the video I found last year.

$ Khalid ! 9130

Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
KSA
I tried to look for it and can't for the life of me find the module I saw last year. Someone made a bypass module themselves that they stuck under their dashboard to trick the TPMS system to think it was inflated properly. I guess you can only just disconnect the light on your dash and be all set. Sorry I couldn't find the video I found last year.

NO biggie. I guess I will just have to live with it now.... Until I get enough $$ and mental preparation to do a DIC cluster swap! THE MOD BUG has got meee....:missing:

Reactions: Blckshdw

kickass audio

Aug 25, 2012
NO biggie. I guess I will just have to live with it now.... Until I get enough $$ and mental preparation to do a DIC cluster swap! THE MOD BUG has got meee....:missing:

I wonder if when you swap in the DIC if it will even give you the pressures for each tire or if it will just be a readout message on the screen. I couldn't tell you as my 04 doesn't have the stupid TPMS system in it (thank god). It is super easy to do the cluster though. It would take maybe 15 minutes of your time. Hell you don't even need a soldering gun to do it, you could just break off the light from the circuit board if you're careful enough and not break the PCB for the cluster. Don't let the picture of the instrument cluster intimidate you, it's super easy to do. I only had mine get complicated because the one stepper motor shaft pulled out with the needle for my gas gauge so I had to take a stepper motor off my old non-dic cluster and then since I broke the circuit traces off the PCB I had to wire the gauge to nearby points on the circuit board and glue down the stepper motor.

$ Khalid ! 9130

Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
KSA
I wonder if when you swap in the DIC if it will even give you the pressures for each tire or if it will just be a readout message on the screen. I couldn't tell you as my 04 doesn't have the stupid TPMS system in it (thank god). It is super easy to do the cluster though. It would take maybe 15 minutes of your time. Hell you don't even need a soldering gun to do it, you could just break off the light from the circuit board if you're careful enough and not break the PCB for the cluster. Don't let the picture of the instrument cluster intimidate you, it's super easy to do. I only had mine get complicated because the one stepper motor shaft pulled out with the needle for my gas gauge so I had to take a stepper motor off my old non-dic cluster and then since I broke the circuit traces off the PCB I had to wire the gauge to nearby points on the circuit board and glue down the stepper motor.

Thanks for the encouragement. It'll probably be no big thing when I get down to actually doing it. However from what I've seen in my dads Yukon it shows the tire pressure in each tire. Surprised yours didn't come with a TPMS. Isn't it like mandatory in the US

kickass audio

Aug 25, 2012
It is mandatory in 2005 and up. I missed that by a year. I will have to deal with the B.S. safety feature in my next vehicle after I ditch my Envoy in a few years unless something major goes on it. I hope to get 5 or more years out of my truck.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
From Wikipedia:

The Act mandated the use of a suitable TPMS technology in all light motor vehicles (under 10,000 pounds), to help alert drivers of under-inflation events. This act affects all light motor vehicles sold after September 1, 2007. Phase-in started in October 2005 at 20%, and reached 100% for models produced after September 2007. In the United States, as of 2008 and the European Union, as of November 1, 2012, all new passenger car models (M1) released must be equipped with a TPMS. From November 1, 2014, all new passenger cars sold in the European Union must be equipped with a TPMS.

So basically, the technology was started in late 2005 (2006 model year) and mandated in late 2007 (2008 model year)

$ Khalid ! 9130

Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
KSA
It is mandatory in 2005 and up. I missed that by a year. I will have to deal with the B.S. safety feature in my next vehicle after I ditch my Envoy in a few years unless something major goes on it. I hope to get 5 or more years out of my truck.

I hope you do. These were really built to last!!! Me I am more of old cars type. I would never go for the new "junk"

From Wikipedia:

So basically, the technology was started in late 2005 (2006 model year) and mandated in late 2007 (2008 model year)

Thanks for the info @Mooseman appreciate it :thumbsup:

vipergg

Dec 7, 2011
It is a BS system too, any kind of exterior radio interference sets mine off so you cant beleive it anyway. To say nothing about the seventy dollar plus cost per tire to replace them all after seven to eight years.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
You can get sensors off ebay stores for cheaper. I got 4 AC Delco sensors brand new for my truck for $75 total. Installed when I got new tires so no extra labor charges

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.