NEED HELP keyless remote, won't go into program mode

doubleeagle

Original poster
Aug 21, 2018
Tennessee
I bought a 2001 Silverado 2nd hand and it did not have a remote. I just figured that it did not have that feature. after reading the OM, realized that it did so I ordered the remotes for it. When I try to enter program mode, the locks don't cycle but you can hear similar clicking in the dash. now... the power locks work perfectly on a day to day. can anyone tell me what might be disconnected that would interfere with entering program mode?

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Are you sure that it has the keyless feature OEM? Was there an aftermarket system put into it?

doubleeagle

Original poster
Aug 21, 2018
Tennessee
I bought a 2001 Silverado 2nd hand and it did not have a remote. I just figured that it did not have that feature. after reading the OM, realized that it did so I ordered the remotes for it. When I try to enter program mode, the locks don't cycle but you can hear similar clicking in the dash. now... the power locks work perfectly on a day to day. can anyone tell me what might be disconnected that would interfere with entering program mode?
I also need to add that I called the dealer with the last 6 of the vin and they gave me the 2 possible part numbers for the remote so I would think that would mean that it is supposed have the feature... am I wrong?

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Do you know if an aftermarket alarm was installed? A lot of times when those are installed they run jumpers or bypasses.

doubleeagle

Original poster
Aug 21, 2018
Tennessee
Do you know if an aftermarket alarm was installed? A lot of times when those are installed they run jumpers or bypasses.
I was thinking that something was bypassed but the alarm works just like the factory alarm says it should so I assumed it was factory... I could be wrong

I was thinking that something was bypassed but the alarm works just like the factory alarm says it should so I assumed it was factory... I could be wrong
Used car lot installs a tracker, I thought that might have been it but they said that they don't disconnect anything, just wire up a hot and ground

doubleeagle

Original poster
Aug 21, 2018
Tennessee
I just found out that it is possible that I have the wrong remote due the split year of 2001. I have ordered the other remote, but this still doesn't explain why I'm having the trouble with program mode

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
I would see if it programs properly with the proper one.

doubleeagle

Original poster
Aug 21, 2018
Tennessee
got it straightened out. aparently if the truck doesn't sense a viable remote, it will not go into program mode. I ordered "the other" remote that 2001 called for (split year) and it programmed straight away with no issues what so ever

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online