Key won't turn at random

Dadwagon

Original poster
May 21, 2020
West coast
I'm finding that when my Buick has been run for about ten minutes and turned off, randomly it will lock the ignition in place so I can't turn the key to start the vehicle. Battery is new-ish, power doesn't seem effected. Key (a copy) glides in and out just fine, the shifter boot isn't getting stuck. After rocking the car, jiggling the key switch, reinserting the key, pounding on the plastic around the ignition, popping out the shifter boot...it will go back to normal after a couple of minutes. Given the truck has thrown up a code and put the engine into limp mode after being run, shut off for a few minutes, and restarted, I'm jumping to the conclusion this is a bad ground wire that needs cleaning. When I first bought the truck, the third ground wire to the fuse box was unhooked (the smaller ground closest to the motor, furthest from the fender).

Could a rusty/dirty ground wire cause the ignition to lock up? And do our trucks have the unlock or button somewhere that "unlocks" the ignition, or is that just on older vehicles? Feels like I'm missing something that the owner's manual isn't telling me about something I did to make this happen.

Thanks for any advice!

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
What happens if you remove the key and try the other side of tbe key?

I wasn't aware there was an electro-mechanical lock in the cylinder, just the shifter.

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
@Dadwagon There's a manual release under the cylinder. You have to pull the steering column apart to access it, just follow this link to get at it. I would probably leave the column off, so you can still safely remove the key so your not stranded anywhere until you get it sorted out.

@gmcman I'm wondering if the switch down near the shifter is flaking out, it seems like thats almost always the cause for the ignition to lock out like he's going through.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
His problem isn't being able to pull the key out, it doesn't want to turn to start. There is no electrical device that will stop the key from turning. Proof of that you can disconnect the battery and the key will turn. You just won't be able to pull it out.

I think it's either a problem with the key itself or the key cylinder.

Reactions: mrrsm

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Coincidentally I'm having a similiar issue when going to turn the key, sometimes the cylinder won't turn. Flip the key over and all is good, I'm guessing just wear and tear.

Dadwagon

Original poster
May 21, 2020
West coast
Thank you all. This occurs very seldom maybe once in 100 uses and usually the key will work if removed and reinserted. I’ll check out the button under the ignition column.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Is my 2002 different then?

You kinda answered your own question here lol My 05 doesn't have that plug, I had to split my column trim open to get to that button when I needed it.

Dadwagon

Original poster
May 21, 2020
West coast
That button cover is wild! I have to go look and see if mine has that but I'm sure I would have noticed by now. But never assume, things like this are a mystery unless you're looking for them. Thanks for the picture review.

Reactions: mrrsm

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online

No members online now.