Key will not turn forward? Ignition locked?

Gearheadvr4

Original poster
Apr 17, 2013
Have an odd issue with the SS today. I cannot turn the key forward. It's just locked in place. I pulled the ignition switch, the gear on the switch moves freely and if I move the gear it will allow me to move the shifter.

Not sure if it's related but I did have a low battery and tried to crank the SS, the starter clicked a few times and then the battery pretty much died. It's charged now but did I possibly pop a fuse maybe for the brake or something ignition related?

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I would charge the battery first and see if that fixes it. Low battery causes all sorts of issues usually.

Gearheadvr4

Original poster
Apr 17, 2013
I swapped batteries and fully charged the original one. That wasn't the problem unfortunately. A low battery or it not fully being in park will prevent the key from being removed. I have the opposite problem, it won't move forward.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
When the ignition switch on the escalade went bad, the key would not move. but one time it was the ignition switch and the other it was the tumbler. is yours not moving forward at all or only one or two clicks?

Gearheadvr4

Original poster
Apr 17, 2013
not moving at all, I can remove the ignition switch and move the gears on the switch manually.

Last edited:

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
So you are referring to the gears on the ignition switch correct? Sorry if i'm running you around but I am trying to figure this out while studying pipe network modeling and the one is severely degrading my rationality.

Does the key itself turn with the ignition switch out? Can you make the truck start with it out? (manually turning the gear all the way.) I would surmise if the key still doesn't turn that it is the tumbler itself but I have never heard of that going bad on these really. I have to mess around with the key on the envoy for what ever reason sometimes, usually pulling it out slightly fixes it or jiggling it around, but that would be the tumblers themselves again...

Gearheadvr4

Original poster
Apr 17, 2013
Yes, on the switch itself. The key will not turn even with the ignition switch out. I turned the switch gears all the way forward and it wouldn't start.

Very frustrating, the key was working then 5 min later just refused to budge.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Then I would have to say that the tumbler mechanism itself has failed, but just in case I am sure that someone else will confirm. I would wait to double check that. I am not that familiar with the whole operation.

Gearheadvr4

Original poster
Apr 17, 2013
Would the ss normally start if you just pull the switch and move it forward or does the key have to be turned?

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
The remote start has a bypass module for it to work so... I would think the key has to be turned for it to start... Once again not familiar with the whole operation beyond the switch itself.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
This is something fairly uncommon for this platform. First time I've heard of a tumbler failing. AFAIK, the theft deterrent system has to get a signal from the tumbler to allow it to start (in other words, the key wasn't punched out or the wiring was cut to bypass the ignition switch).

BUT, you might be in a pickle. The instructions to remove the cylinder says to turn the key to the Run position. Anyway, I attached the document from GM-SI.

Attachments

• Ignition Lock Cylinder Replacement.pdf
    355.2 KB · Views: 5

Gearheadvr4

Original poster
Apr 17, 2013
Yeah, Im really at a loss. I have been with the platform for a long while and this is the first I've seen of this failure. Plenty of posts of guys with the key stuck but never like this.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Try striking the key with a rubber mallet if you have one, I would guess a plunger is stuck or something, maybe you can get it to break free.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I'd be careful doing that as this may trip the VTD. Maybe try some spray oil in the cylinder.

Reactions: littleblazer

Gearheadvr4

Original poster
Apr 17, 2013
I tried some graphite oil made for locks, still stuck... If for some reason the starter or the wiring was shorted would that prevent the key from moving? Is there some kind of electrical lockout for the key?

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
It is fully mechanical from my understanding.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The only thing that could happen is that you can't turn the key enough to get it out if there is no battery power. Other than that, it would still turn normally.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
x2 --^--

RealFixesRealFast has a Great Video that tears into the problem completely with a superb explanation of what is happening inside the tumbler:

• Wow
Reactions: 808

Gearheadvr4

Original poster
Apr 17, 2013
Sadly it looks more and more like the tumbler. I just don't understand why. I had no issues with the key and was using it just moments before. I have a couple other things to try but I may have to contact a locksmith.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Try the bump method. I did get it to work. just kept hitting the key with my palm. if you're afraid of using a mallet or anything. At least you could get it out.

Gearheadvr4

Original poster
Apr 17, 2013
Can someone try to turn the key forward without stepping on the brake or touching anything else on their trailvoy? Will it rotate?

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
????? that's how all vehicles work... normally one MIGHT have their foot on the gas pedal but not sure many / any would press the brake... unless of course, they want to shift the gearing for a "neutral start".

OF course, returning the key to the "OFF" position thereafter is a different problem especially without power.

Gearheadvr4

Original poster
Apr 17, 2013
I'm just trying to diagnose the switch before I call a locksmith. Our trailblazers are different from other vehicles. For instance we do not have a steering wheel lock and as you mentioned we cannot remove the key without battery power...

Our Tahoe key rotates without touching the brake or anything else.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
The key should rotate without touching anything else in the truck.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
On a lighter note:
1940-FORD-STEERING-COLUMN-DROP.jpg
Oh...how I long for simpler times....:sadcry:...Mike.

Reactions: mrrsm

Chilly

Jan 16, 2016
Idaho
I just fixed my tumbler that had the problem shown in the above video, at 140k miles. Vibration technique with the air tool would not work. Rather than pull the steering column or call a locksmith, I used channel lock pliers to break the plastic part off the tumbler which surrounds the key when the key is properly inserted. Removing the key, and putting it back in, was not the problem, but the tumbler refused to turn like it should when key was inserted. Had to break off the plastic piece off the tumbler and also part of the associated tumbler metal in order to see the channel where that little locking piece sits, which locks the tumbler in place (not letting it turn) when the key is not inserted. My tumbler was worn out and the vehicle key would not lift that stop piece up out of the way so the vehicle key could turn the tumbler. That little stop piece is like the flywheel key on a small engine which holds the flywheel in its proper place in relation to the crankshaft (a flywheel key). Once able to see into the channel (like a flywheel key channel), I was able to insert a makeshift tool from a computer repair tool kit (anything that would fit into that channel might work, just keep trying) and I was able to use it and see it manipulate that stop key. I kept messing with it, turning the vehicle key back and forth in the tumbler and finally was able to get that stop piece to lift out of its channel enough that it released and the tumbler was able to turn toward the start position. After getting it into the start position, I inserted a probe into the hole on the top of the tumbler housing and, as it should, out popped that worn out bastard part that is usually called the key lock cylinder. From now on, I will replace that problem part at least every 100K miles, and maybe more often like 50K if I can afford it. This was easily one of the most frustrating repair jobs I have ever encountered on the '06 Blazer. Cost me just $42.00 on Amazon for a new tumbler and key.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Worn or damaged tumblers are actually rare, only having seen one or two posted on here. My old 02, with over 300k km (186k miles) never had an issue. I have seen worn keys cause some issues through but it comes gradually with difficulty getting it to turn without having to jiggle the key.

I think replacing the tumbler like that would be a waste of time and money.

Chilly

Jan 16, 2016
Idaho
Can't disagree with you on this. It may not have actually been the tumbler, but the key being worn out a bit too much could very well make the difference. I did have new keys made for this vehicle last year, and I did try one of the new ones during the process, but without success. Good advice to wait until symptoms of failure begin to happen before throwing money at a fix. So many other things can go wrong that spending money on replacing parts just to avoid facing a failure before there are symptoms is a way to waste money for sure.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online