Key pulls out of new ignition lock cylinder

chuey_316

Original poster
Nov 10, 2019
SW MI
My niece has an 02 Envoy, and a few days ago she shut it off, and it kept running, but she couldn't get the key to turn fully to the off position. We've told her that if she has any issues to come to my house, but she took it home and while they were trying to get the key out, they broke the ignition.

Fast forward to today. I went and bought a new lock cylinder, and drove out to her house. I removed the old one, and adjusted the ignition switch. Put the new cylinder in, and the truck starts, and shuts off fine now, but the key is able to be removed while the engine is running. She's not worried about it because the old one did it too, but I know that a new one should not do that. It does it with both keys.

I told her to bring it to me after classes this week so I can take it back and have the store exchange it with another one, but I wanted to see if anyone else may have some insight 1st. I thought that maybe the tumblers are sticking, and possibly some silicone spray, or powdered graphite may help, but honestly it shouldn't be needed with a brand new part.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Are you using a new key with that new cylinder? Or did you have the new cylinder repinned to work with the old key? If that's the case, the key could just be so worn it lets the key out.

Reactions: Redbeard

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online