Key fobs quit working

djthumper

Original poster
Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
I went to get into my truck this evening and my key fob did not work to unlock it. My wife's did unlock it, when I got home her fob no longer worked. My first thought was the batteries since I have no idea how long they have been in there. No go. I checked and tested under seat fuses 3 and 19 after checking that my license plate lights and rear wiper was still working. I remember something from the OS about the wires between the body and the lift gate. How much of that do I need to take apart and trace things down? Is there anything else I should check before diving into the lift gate?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
If the wiper works, then the data communication and power part of the harness are OK. The remote unlock receiver part of the LGM might have a problem, or the antenna ( a small dangling wire IIRC) could be shorted to sheet metal. Try the key fobs while holding them near the rear license plate. Typically where the wires break is only inside the rubber boot at the liftgate hinge line. See if you can swap PGMs with a local buddy. Sorry I'm not closer. :frown:

n0kfb

Dec 8, 2011
I recomend buying and trying a replacement fob before tearing into anything. They are quite inexpensive on EBAY.

Good luck!

-- Dan Meyer :coffee:

djthumper

Original poster
Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
OK going to check out the hinge line area for a possible break. I tried standing at the rear near the plate with both fobs and it didn't work.

I have been thinking about geting a remote start alarm system put in. Is this something that would be by-passed when setting up the remote lock feature on the alarms?
:crazy:

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
djthumper said:
. I have been thinking about geting a remote start alarm system put in. Is this something that would be by-passed when setting up the remote lock feature on the alarms?

Since this hasn't come up before, to say yes would be a guess, but I have evidence that to me says that it very well could. The r/s gets a lock/unlock request from its fob, and it sends a signal to the passlock/door lock bypass. The bypass in turn sends a lock/unlock request over the vehicles data bus to the DDM, PDM, BCM, and LGM. Since this works for non-RKE equipped TB/EVs, it very well should work in yours. The key word is should.

djthumper

Original poster
Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Well, I haven't even torn into it and it started to kind of work again. I hopped in and ran some errands and it started working better. I got home and I had to be almost on top of the truck to get it to lock and unlock. I know they have an exercise on the air force base so maybe they are doing some jamming stuff. I will just wait it out I guess.

JerryIrons

Dec 20, 2011
I've had a key fob stop working because the contacts inside weren't connecting with the battery well. I fixed it by cleaning up the contacts and putting in a piece of cardboard to push the battery closer. Also a button can get stuck and then it won't work either, I've had to push them all (even the side one) to get it unstuck.

If it lights up when you push a button then I would say the key fob itself is fine.

Crap guys sorry I just realized about 1/2 hour after posting that I have a remote starting system with different key fobs.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.