Key Fob failure

308sako

Original poster
Apr 1, 2012
So after 7 years of good luck I finally got distracted and "washed" my keys... wifes vehicle surived and the Trailblaser '05 was ok until it dried out? Did I ruin the key fob or only need to reprogram once again. I did but a fresh battery in, and the second fob reprogramed without difficulty.

Appreciate the help.

Unknowingly I used the search function and found some information on the other site regarding this. I posted a mandatory thank you, and was then chastized for not posting a link to the posts I read which were helpful. So I suggested to that individual to use the search function, as that is what got me through the issue. Once again I failed Internet... and was not comprehended... So in advance I apologize to all current and future members of GMTnation if I once again somehow fail the Internet.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
One thing I would check is pull it apart and pull the circuit board off of the rubber button pad. Check for any goop-like stuff on the board. Sometimes that can build up and make the buttons not work so well.

When you program the fobs, you have to do both together. Doing just one will erase the other. If the buttons weren't working quite right on the first one then it might not program.

Worth a shot before buying a new one.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
How long and how did you dry it out. One of the best things that I have found to help draw out moisture is putting them into a bowl of rice for a day or so.

What part of town are you in? Check-in here http://gmtnation.com/f52/las-vegas-check-32/

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Ace1875 said:
what i have noticed in many years is that water doesn't kill electrical boards. it when electricity is ran through them while they r wet is when they r killed.

I concur with that. Whatever you do, DON'T TRY IT until you take it apart and dry it out. You may also need to clean the contact points with some alcohol and swabs.

308sako

Original poster
Apr 1, 2012
Sparky said:
One thing I would check is pull it apart and pull the circuit board off of the rubber button pad. Check for any goop-like stuff on the board. Sometimes that can build up and make the buttons not work so well.

When you program the fobs, you have to do both together. Doing just one will erase the other. If the buttons weren't working quite right on the first one then it might not program.

I will try to clean in inside and alcohol based swab is a great Idea.

I used some canned air and 12 hours open desert air to dry the original.

I did not realize that both fobs had to be done simultaneousily... that alone could be the issue.

Will post back after trying again.

NW part of the valley here in Vegas

308sako

Original poster
Apr 1, 2012
Sparky said:

Well I took off the rubber and cleaned with alcohol the back, used some compressed air and went to the store and did some chores came back and ran the reprogram sequence.

Yes this worked! Fantastic, I do love the internet and people sharing knowledge.

Thank you all. :biggrin:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Excellent :thumbsup:

n0kfb

Dec 8, 2011
If you do choose to buy replacements, I've found them on EBay for under $40.

-- Dan Meyer :coffee:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online