Keep or Move on ?

Ilikemy3s

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
Looking to the group for general consensus or advice if others went thru the same decision of put money into a 360 or move on

Here is my dilemma .. 05' SWB TB LT 4x4 4.2L Bought in 2015 with 85K miles on the clock. Now have over 240k. (would have more if not for pandemic) Drive 40 miles each way for work as well as weekend stuff. Took several 1100 mile trips to Maine and or Florida. Truck not beat on.
Everything works but ..
  • the CD player
  • lumbar support on driver’s seat
  • 1 light on dash
  • 1 light for defroster button
All maintenance done on time if not before. Including ..
  • fluid changes and related filters
  • Breaks and tires
  • Batteries and bulbs
  • Plugs and coil packs replaced @100K marks
  • Oil has usually been Mobile 1
Replaced items so far ..
  • Power steering pump and the related lines
  • Fuel pump and water pump with thermostat
  • Throttle body and fan clutch
  • Idler and tension pulleys with serpentine belt
  • Both front wheel bearings
  • Front ball joints
Everything else is original that I know of since I got it. It drives and shifts well.

This is my 2nd 360 and I really like the platform as it suits my needs and is big enough. And overall, the truck does not owe me a dime. Do I drop some money into it and do like a major overhaul ( shocks, full suspension, alternator and so on) , or do I look for good / well maintained like an 09 model?

Thoughts ?

flyboy2610

Aug 24, 2021
Lincoln, Ne.
Just my thoughts: With used car prices the way they are right now, you would probably be better off re-building your suspension and putting in a new alternator.
But in the end it's decision only you can make. How much for the suspension parts and alternator versus how much for a newer TB minus what you can get for yours.
I'm one of those guys who believes in hanging onto a vehicle until it absolutely won't move under it's own power anymore, but that's just me.

azswiss

May 23, 2021
Tempe, AZ
Some serious intangibles here beyond the cost considerations/tradeoffs. You know exactly what has been done to & for your '05 over the past 150K miles vs. what the seller (can or does) say about the '09 (note: I am assuming it has somewhere between 75K - 125K miles). Personally, I place a substantial premium on knowing the historical details.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I wouldn't worry too much about the original owner. The vast majority of people who buy a new vehicle keep up with maintenance to maintain the original warranty.

Some things to consider. I would assume the tranny is original. Even with very regular fluid and filter changes, at that mileage, it's on borrowed time. The engine, albeit a little more robust, may start showing some signs of aging like the timing chain guides and tensioner, cam phaser, valve lifter wear, etc., all not easy jobs to fix. There is no way to know what is going on with them. The bottom end I wouldn't worry too much about. They are bulletproof if maintained well. I would still say that the tranny is the weakest link here.

My 02's tranny failed at 340k km (211k miles) and that's what sent it to the big wrecking yard in the sky. It was well maintained, had a shift kit but was well used and was poorly maintained by the PO. @trailblazer075 , in France, his just quit at 360k km (224k miles) but he is looking at getting it rebuilt because it is like a collector vehicle there, is in pristine condition and is excessively well maintained. PO history is unknown. His problem right now is finding someone over there that can rebuild it and getting the parts.

I would weigh the cost of a tranny rebuild into the equation as that will likely happen sooner rather than later. If the overall condition of the truck itself is worth that expense, then drive it until it needs it.

And the used vehicle market right now is in a tailspin. Gas guzzlers are being dumped in favour of more fuel economic vehicles. Dealers are being told to offer 20% less on their trade in because nobody wants them. Now this might be an opportunity for you to buy another one at a good price because, to be honest, these are gas guzzlers at an average of 16-17 mpg.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I am of the opinion to keep driving her until she blows!

You have a good maintenance history with the truck, and you know its history, and only you know if it has been beat on in the last 155k miles.

Replacing the front suspension can be done fairly easily. The lower control arm mounts can be a bear, depending on frame condition, than finding a alignment shop to get it straightened can be the next hurdle.

I replaced my front suspension about 18 months ago, and I wish I never had. Have not been able to get the alignment straight since. Then the right front upper control arm likes to back out its bolts on its own.

Do you have any tell tail signs of something going on that would require concern? Or just doing preventive?

Just remember, you could dump money into the front end, and the next day a tranny goes out, or something else. My experience always points to a cascade effect.

Reactions: NJTB

cornchip

Jan 6, 2013
While I miss driving my TB.....I don't miss being stranded like 6 or 7 times. I've moved on and couldn't be happier.

Reactions: Matt

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
This is my 2nd 360 and I really like the platform as it suits my needs and is big enough. And overall, the truck does not owe me a dime. Do I drop some money into it and do like a major overhaul ( shocks, full suspension, alternator and so on) , or do I look for good / well maintained like an 09 model?
When I redid the front suspension on my Envoy, I posted back that it "drove like a new truck". I'll bet you say the same. Put those nice Bilstein 4600s on (blue / yellow), and see if you don't smile ear-to-ear as well.

The top end / external engine parts Moose mentioned are the only thing you need to worry about. But they *can* be fixed, and parts are available.

Some serious intangibles here beyond the cost considerations/tradeoffs. You know exactly what has been done to & for your '05 over the past 150K miles vs. what the seller (can or does) say about the '09 (note: I am assuming it has somewhere between 75K - 125K miles).
This. You *know* the history of your current truck. That's invaluable. Any other used vehicle you buy is a crapshoot for the first 10,000 miles / 1st year. Or longer.

If the engine is still running good... I'd hang onto it a while longer. You can find a replacement trans without too much trouble (still cheaper than new vehicle).

I wouldn't worry too much about the original owner. The vast majority of people who buy a new vehicle keep up with maintenance to maintain the original warranty.
This ain't Canada, bub. :dielaugh:

Here in 'Murica, everyone thinks they're driving maintenance-free vehicles. And GMs 'run broken' better than most, out there.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
This question comes up here from time to time and it seems that after everyone has commented the OP does something other than the suggestions.
I'm thinking that a decision has already been made by the OP....:twocents:

Reactions: cornchip and Matt

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Here in 'Murica, everyone thinks they're driving maintenance-free vehicles. And GMs 'run broken' better than most, out there.
I know. I watch Just Rolled In on YT. Scary shit!

• Wow
Reactions: Tankcruiser

aaserv

Dec 1, 2019
N of Baton Rouge, La.
I use a search engine just for autos called AutoTempest. It searches everywhere for whatever vehicle you list. For me i have it set for 03-09 Envoys w 5.3L and 2 wheel drive. Im amazed at how many very good looking 360's that are available all over right now. Garage kept O9's w under 120K are out there. And the prices are not as high as Id figure they would be. Ofcourse Im just looking at ads ,pics and the info given. Although a lot of them come with fairly up to date car fax reports they could also have been hit by a train and been rebuilt for all I know. Im just saying their out there. As I type this there are 23 available that fit my criteria from $4600 to $11995. Some beautiful Denali's. 4 with LESS than 120K miles on them. None however are within a 1 days drive from me . There is 1 in s. florida Id jump on in a second if it was closer to me. Another in the Carolinas and 2 in Arizona.
I just know I paid almost $3000 for mine and put $3000 more in it and havent touched the transmission or rebuilt the engine yet.... For $1500 -$2000 more than Ive got in mine I could be driving 1 of these Denali's ...fully loaded at that! And I would feel a lot better about putting $3000 into 1 of these than the 03 clunker I bought.
Id at least take a look and see whats out there 1st............

Reactions: Mooseman and Matt
Dec 5, 2011
Central Pennsylvania
I'm pushing 300k miles on an 02 Olds Bravada. The only thing that doesn't work is the ECAS (air suspension compressor) which I ripped out and replaced with a "Tee" and keep filled from a portable compressor - rarely. I occasionally get a p0440 or p0442 but I'm not about to replace the EVAP stuff and chase that nightmare. I keep a code reader in the car, reset it, and go. Maintenance has been on schedule (more or less). I've replaced brakes more than most (including upgrading to cross-drilled/slotted rotors with e-coat and powder coated calipers). I've replaced front wheel bearings a few times but I'm very hard on them (I do EMS/Fire, so drive like an asshole more often that most). I run a fullsize lightbar (whelen Liberty LFL) and an old school Kicker amp - so if anyone is stressing an alternator, it's me... and it's original and running beautifully. I've replaced the exhaust manifold and O2 sensor as well as the cam phaser (while I was there). I've replaced transmission cooler lines and did a full fluid flush and switch to DexVI along with a filter change (noticeable difference) along with all fluid changes underneath (critical to prevent crow-hop). I don't know what I'll do when it dies.... I may be willing to stuff a new motor/tranny in it... especially considering used car prices today. Just my 2 cents.... roughly 300k miles and drives like a champ.

Ilikemy3s

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
This question comes up here from time to time and it seems that after everyone has commented the OP does something other than the suggestions.
I'm thinking that a decision has already been made by the OP....:twocents:
have not made up my mind yet as still deciding. I like the new Colorado or Canyon 4 door pickups and would not mind a newer ride, but I also like not having a payment as well as I tend to think the older rides don;t get second look about people trying to break in or take it. plus i like the complements of a well maintained high mileage good working truck. BUt I am getting older and this body is getting harder to do certain things .. so I am back and forth ..

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
06_4.2_4x4_ls

Members Online