Keep 02 Envoy or trade for 96-99 GMT400 Tahoe/Yukon

shovenose

Original poster
Apr 24, 2016
SF Bay Area, CA
Would it be stupid of me to sell my 02 Envoy and buy an older Tahoe/Yukon with the money? I know the Envoy runs and drives fine, and any used vehicle would be a total crapshoot, so part of me thinks this is a bad idea, but on the other hand, the Envoy could break down at any time too, and then it would be worth nothing (if engine or trans went out).

I just have a soft spot in my heart for GMT400s as that was my first vehicle. I regret selling my 96 Yukon when the tranny died instead of getting it fixed. I really loved that truck. I like the Envoy, but I don't love it.

I don't doubt that the Envoy is a more modern design, and the highway mileage of the Envoy is definitely better. (though around town the Envoy does suck as much as a GMT400). While it handles far better than a GMT400, I find it hard to park due to its odd shape and blind spots.

On the other hand, I really like the boxy shape of the GMT400 SUVs, and I much prefer column shifters over console shifters. I mention this a lot because it's important to me - nobody else understands.

I guess, I don't have a specific QUESTION here, I just want to get other people's input on whether or not I'm stupid for wanting to do this.

This is an example of the type of vehicle I would like to get instead of the Envoy: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ctd/5695251936.html

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
There's nothing really we can say. Only you know what you want. That Tahoe looks to be a good solid machine. And you just bought that other Burb too. This may come down to the devil you know vs. the devil you don't know. And you can't just go on "what ifs".

I'm sorta debating something similar now. My TB is approaching 300k km, rust is getting a good foothold and I'm wanting a pickup truck (Silverado or Sierra). The TB runs and drives fine and should for a while but the rust will eventually kill it. If I do get an affordable truck, it was likely abused or will likely need repairs, which I don't have time to do so I decided to keep the TB.

Reactions: stickypoop

shovenose

Original poster
Apr 24, 2016
SF Bay Area, CA
There's nothing really we can say. Only you know what you want. That Tahoe looks to be a good solid machine. And you just bought that other Burb too. This may come down to the devil you know vs. the devil you don't know. And you can't just go on "what ifs".

I'm sorta debating something similar now. My TB is approaching 300k km, rust is getting a good foothold and I'm wanting a pickup truck (Silverado or Sierra). The TB runs and drives fine and should for a while but the rust will eventually kill it. If I do get an affordable truck, it was likely abused or will likely need repairs, which I don't have time to do so I decided to keep the TB.

Yeah, I know, you're right, only I can decide this. To me it's a matter of - if the transmission took a dumb in my Envoy in a month, I would not repair it. If I bought that Tahoe, and in a month the tranny died, I would spend the money to get it fixed. On paper, that is really dumb, but to me, it's not.

shovenose

Original poster
Apr 24, 2016
SF Bay Area, CA
Alright so as you all probably know I ended up with a 1999 Suburban as a replacement for the Envoy. Yesterday, the Envoy was handed off to my boyfriend. So, it's staying in the family and I'm still going to drive it once in a while. But I just want to mention how well the Envoy drives and handles compared to the Suburban. The Envoy sure looks boring but it drives and handles the best of any vehicle I have ever driven, even with almost 200K miles. I'm a very aggressive, impatient driver and the Envoy doesn't have a problem with that. While in the Suburban I don't feel nearly as safe driving like that. I guess I'll have to learn to drive patiently now :biggrin: but really GM did an amazing job with the TB/Envoy/etc. platform.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
The 800s drive as good as or better then the 360s, just saying... :rolleyes: (accredited to new tech)

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
The 800s drive as good as or better then the 360s, just saying... :rolleyes: (accredited to new tech)

The 800 platform is older so how the hell do you call that New Tech?

The 360/370 drive better than the older 800/820/830.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
The 800 platform is older so how the hell do you call that New Tech?

The 360/370 drive better than the older 800/820/830.
The first generation 800 was 99 I have no experience with those trucks. 360 was 01/02 model year and at the time was nicer. The escalade, the only 800 SUV I've driven (03) had a much more sophisticated suspension set up with magnetic shocks up front and gas air in the rear. That truck handles and drives as well as the tb/voy Imo. The "second" generation 800 which is the setup on the 06-07 sierras is very nice. That truck also drives as well as the TB/voy imo.

Both frames were designed around the same time but the truck itself got more tech. I was however referring to the fact that the 800 was a huge improvement over the 400, hence new tech. Sorry about that.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
800 frames were actually modular to match the 40 or so configurations it could be had in. So you could have a variety of results in ride n such. Escalade were nice but far different ride from even an 07 Classic which was the last of the 800s

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Yea. The 900? Is that way as well iirc. I always found it interesting the earlier trucks used torsion bars up front (escalade included) then some switched to strut style but others still have a torsion setup. If you ever try to track down the little changes it runs away real quick. I don't even remember if it's true or not but the first few nnbs trucks, the HD variant, we're updated 800s underneath and a little while later it went the 900 series. That may be wrong though

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I just know my 900 rides pretty darn well, and I still take it kinda quick through turns lol. It isn't quite as planted as a GMT360 of course due to higher center of gravity but hey.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
The better ride is also a function of the wider stance and longer wheelbase. My solid axle burban rode better than many IFS rigs due to that.

Reactions: $ Khalid ! 9130

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online