K&N Air Intake Issue

Droid

Original poster
Feb 12, 2013
Hey guys!

So i bought a K&N Intake and installed it in my voy today! sounds great right? except that the fan on the motor beat the hell out of it the first time I started it. what the hell? i bought the correct model for the V8 SLT 5.3L Envoy XL and it doesn't fit?!? i mean i was able to install it fine, and its the right model but the fan hits it when it spins, anyone had this issue? any luck talking to K&N? it was purchased from Amazon but its sealed from K&N brand new and the instructions are for the right model. the pipes all fit together and the filter is in the right spot but it hits... i dunno what to do any ideas?

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
:pictures: ?

Can you trim the intake tube an inch or two?

Droid

Original poster
Feb 12, 2013
Playsinsnow said:
:pictures: ?

Can you trim the intake tube an inch or two?

i was gonna try but there isn't much on the end of the tube to start with. maybe an inch. i was gonna cut the lip off with a dremel or a hack saw and try it tomorrow. but i mean i bought it from them because it should just go right on with no issues, i shouldn't have to jimmy rig a specific kit. i coulda built one my self if i was gonna go that route!

if i pull the whole intake back towards the cab of the vehicle, it BARELY clears the fan. like maybe 1mm.

i'll take pictures tomorrow and show how it looks. just annoying :sadcry:

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Sounds like something isn't seated together properly.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Thats sounds strange. Did you get the K&N 57-3048 model, 57-3048 - K&N 57 Series FIPK, Performance Intake Kit direct from K&N. According to their site, that is their only intake that fits your vehicle.

Is the 90* elbow coming out from the throttle body the part of the intake tube that is contacting your fan? Wonder if you can use a dremel to cut back on the end of the intake tub that butts up against the throttle body :undecided:

I did a quick search for your issue and found a thread on the OS. Most of the owners mention that there is about a 1/4" gap or less between the intake tube and fan, but none of them mentioned anything about needing to modify the intake tube or the intake tube contacting the fan. Here was a couple pics I grabbed from TXBlazer's post with the same intake. Looks like he has a small gap between the tube and fan.

View attachment 33324

View attachment 33325

I would definitely make sure the coupling is snug and allows your intake tube to be all the way against the throttle body. If the coupling does not allow the end of the tube to touch the throttle body then I would find a different coupling. When my couplings split that came with my K&N intake, I upgraded to these and they fit perfectly. 3-1/2" ID Venair Silicone Coupling, 3" Long, 4 Ply Polyester, Black : Amazon.com : Automotive. The ID is 3.5". Not sure the size of your intake tube, but you can measure the OD of the tube and see what will fit.

Make sure the hose clamps are as tight as possible to prevent the intake tube from moving away from the throttle body. Mine tend to loosen up over time so I usually make sure they are tight every couple weeks.

I would definitely take some pics and contact K&N and see what they say. You might be best off removing some material from the end of the intake tube that touches the throttle body to give it some more clearance.

You could install some e-fans, then problem solved. Let us know which route you took and how it worked out. Does not look like there are many threads out there with owners having this issue.

Attachments

• PICT0154.jpg
    PICT0154.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 16
  • PICT0155.jpg
    PICT0155.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 15

Droid

Original poster
Feb 12, 2013
yes its all seated properly, though it seems that the whole intake sits a little further than center in the circular opening in the heat shield. i'll get some pictures later on today but mine literally scrapes (BAD).

dmanns

yes thats the model i have, and it looks the same as the pictures, and i can see that it is close but my fan blades literally scraped the plastic k&n pipe that connects to the throttle body. my frame is not bent and my voy has never been in an accident either, its very weird.

High Voltage

Nov 18, 2011
My fan hit my pipe when i first installed it. Loosen the clamps and try and get some clearance.
It's tight but doable.

Droid

Original poster
Feb 12, 2013
Filter and hole:
View attachment 33331

Clearance:
View attachment 33332

Side View:
View attachment 33333

Overview:
View attachment 33334

Lip:
View attachment 33335

Fan Video:
[video=youtube_share;aRVtQSnd-s0]http://youtu.be/aRVtQSnd-s0[/video]

I was going to try to cut off the "Lip" part of the connection that butts up with the throttle body, im just worried about how little room is left for the clamp to grasp. the "clearance" photo is when im pulling (or pushing) the intake towards the cab but everything is tight and the "lip" is butted all the way against the throttle body. im not sure what the hell is going on, and the video is showing the fan, does it look normal? any ideas guys? in the video it was clearing the intake pipe, but shortly after without fiddling with anything it started hitting it again. :sadcry:

Attachments

• Filter_zps7340508f.jpg
    Filter_zps7340508f.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 3
  • clearance_zps4fecf84d.jpg
    clearance_zps4fecf84d.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Scrape1_zpsb247dcd1.jpg
    Scrape1_zpsb247dcd1.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 5
  • overview_zps45653bd4.jpg
    overview_zps45653bd4.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Lip_zps87976e6a.jpg
    Lip_zps87976e6a.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 3

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
What if you cut off what you can on the end of the intake tube and buy a longer silicon coupling? They make couplings that are 90* elbows which would give you more length to clamp onto.

When you said shortly after the video the intake tube slid towards the fan, did your worm gear hose clamp loosen up on the tube or the throttle or was everything still tight? Is vibrations from the engine causing the intake tube to slid out of the coupling?

If you do not feel comfortable modifying the intake tube, then I would upgrade the coupling to a silicon one that is longer and also upgrade the worm gear hose clamps to t-bolt clamps. They function similar to the worm gear hose clamps, but they come with a self-locking nut to prevent the clamp from loosening. Hopefully that will prevent your intake tube from contacting your fan.

Droid

Original poster
Feb 12, 2013
dmanns67 said:
What if you cut off what you can on the end of the intake tube and buy a longer silicon coupling? They make couplings that are 90* elbows which would give you more length to clamp onto.

When you said shortly after the video the intake tube slid towards the fan, did your worm gear hose clamp loosen up on the tube or the throttle or was everything still tight? Is vibrations from the engine causing the intake tube to slid out of the coupling?

If you do not feel comfortable modifying the intake tube, then I would upgrade the coupling to a silicon one that is longer and also upgrade the worm gear hose clamps to t-bolt clamps. They function similar to the worm gear hose clamps, but they come with a self-locking nut to prevent the clamp from loosening. Hopefully that will prevent your intake tube from contacting your fan.

I was worried about the connection to the throttle body after removing the lip, however I got brave and decided to just cut it off. What else do I have to lose, if it's not currently working anyway right?

Grabbed a hacksaw and went for a tapered cut. Took a little more off the top to kind of lift the "hump" in the tube away from the fan a bit. I ended up with about a 1/4" off the top and about an 1/8" off the bottom and now I have some-what decent clearance. Kinda frustrated that the fan tore up the brand new tube but nothing a little paint won't fix.

The worm clamps still hold it securely in place even without the lip on the plastic section, though the T-bolt clamps might find their way in there with some new silicon if it starts giving me anymore trouble. Good idea :smile:

I might get brave with my heat gun and widen the opening so that it actually slides over the throttle body instead of butting up against it, but I am happy with the outcome now, and the sound is pleasing:wootwoot::biggrin:, even if the pipe looks like it just got back from being dragged behind the voy for a few days.:hissyfit::rotfl: LOL

thanks for the opinions and feedback guys!

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
I am glad to hear you were able to modify the tube. If you could expand the end of the tube, I would be careful not to expand the ID too much so that you have a gap around the throttle body. Hopefully your fix took care of your issue. Did you ever contact K&N or send them any pics about this issue?

Droid

Original poster
Feb 12, 2013
i had a job interview today so i haven't yet, but i have all the pictures and will most definately being doing so. just so they know and can possibly modify the tube, though i doubt they will for a 10 year old model LOL

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Droid said:
i had a job interview today so i haven't yet, but i have all the pictures and will most definately being doing so. just so they know and can possibly modify the tube, though i doubt they will for a 10 year old model LOL

You never know. Although I could not find much information out there about this particular issue, I am sure K&N would appreciate the feedback. Maybe other owners have complained about it. Hell maybe they can send you a prototype based on your recommendations and feedback. May be a 10yr old vehicle, but the 5.3L is a commonly used GM engine in multiple platforms.

lint

Dec 4, 2011
Do you think someone may have put and after market fan or water pump on'' if its behind the fan'',there and it is just a hair closer to the engine, just and odd thought. i know nothing about the v8 on the TB

Droid

Original poster
Feb 12, 2013
it started hitting again the other day so i cut it some more and now it works much better. its super tight and i tightened it after running the car for a while to make sure it was tight after expansion. only problem is now the heat shield doesn't line up with it:hissyfit:

so i took it off and i'll have to cut that now too. somethings gotta be up but its working great now and i have about a 1/2 inch clearance, just very limited on the connection for the coupling on the throttle body end of the plastic pipe. might look for that angled coupling if this gives me any greif.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Droid said:
it started hitting again the other day so i cut it some more and now it works much better. its super tight and i tightened it after running the car for a while to make sure it was tight after expansion. only problem is now the heat shield doesn't line up with it:hissyfit:

so i took it off and i'll have to cut that now too. somethings gotta be up but its working great now and i have about a 1/2 inch clearance, just very limited on the connection for the coupling on the throttle body end of the plastic pipe. might look for that angled coupling if this gives me any greif.

5.3 got dicked on intake mods, whatnot with the throttle body already trying to eat the cooling fan. :eek:

You'd have loved the intake on late 80s to early 90s Ford F-series with the 302 or 351. Actually had two throttle body plates, so you could do a double CAI! BAM!

Any chance of pictures when you're done with all your adjustments and fine-tuning?

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
I have a cold air intake for the ss. Throttle body same spot of course. I had to adjust the silicone tubing just right so the fan wouldn't hit. I have the cold air inductions cai.

Droid

Original poster
Feb 12, 2013
IllogicTC said:
5.3 got dicked on intake mods, whatnot with the throttle body already trying to eat the cooling fan. :eek:

You'd have loved the intake on late 80s to early 90s Ford F-series with the 302 or 351. Actually had two throttle body plates, so you could do a double CAI! BAM!

Any chance of pictures when you're done with all your adjustments and fine-tuning?

yea i'll get some pics, and some more after i paint it lol it still looks like trash from the fan and i had to remove that heat shield. i'll post some tonight before it gets dark.

jrSS said:
I have a cold air intake for the ss. Throttle body same spot of course. I had to adjust the silicone tubing just right so the fan wouldn't hit. I have the cold air inductions cai.

got any pics? who is yours from?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Blckshdw said:

Wonder if the factory engine cover helps keep the intake tube away from the cooling fan :undecided:

It appears that the cover fits over the front of the intake tube. If the cover is bolted down to the top of the engine, that might prevent the intake tube from slipping forward and contacting the fan.

Is there an option for an engine cover on the 5.3L, maybe the Saab or SS engine cover. Aftermarket option?

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
dmanns67 said:
Wonder if the factory engine cover helps keep the intake tube away from the cooling fan :undecided:

It appears that the cover fits over the front of the intake tube. If the cover is bolted down to the top of the engine, that might prevent the intake tube from slipping forward and contacting the fan.

Is there an option for an engine cover on the 5.3L, maybe the Saab or SS engine cover. Aftermarket option?

Freak out has one on his denali. But no the engine cover does not " force" the tube out of the way.

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
All the more reason to grab Efans!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online