Just ran out of gas... on half a tank, nice.

MichEnvoyGuy

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
Lol...I was driving down the road and the truck stalled out. Funny, I have a half tank of gas! As soon as I coasted to a stop the gauge pegged below "E" and my "low fuel level" message comes up on the DIC. :mad:

Ive read here before and know its a common issue. I have 157000 miles now and I have run concentrated Techron through my tank for years, probably starting in 2006, because I knew it was a common issue for the sending unit to go wonky. I guess I probably skated along long enough, its probably time for a new sending unit. I might've gotten swept under the rug by the T360 karma gods but apparently the run has been lifted....lol

So is the fuel pump and sending unit one piece? Can I replace just the sending unit?

jbones

Dec 5, 2011
MichEnvoyGuy said:
Lol...I was driving down the road and the truck stalled out. Funny, I have a half tank of gas! As soon as I coasted to a stop the gauge pegged below "E" and my "low fuel level" message comes up on the DIC. :mad:

Ive read here before and know its a common issue. I have 157000 miles now and I have run concentrated Techron through my tank for years, probably starting in 2006, because I knew it was a common issue for the sending unit to go wonky. I guess I probably skated along long enough, its probably time for a new sending unit. I might've gotten swept under the rug by the T360 karma gods but apparently the run has been lifted....lol

So is the fuel pump and sending unit one piece? Can I replace just the sending unit?

I thought there was faulty gas gauge recall not to far back?

edit: Never mind, I see that was GM SUV 2005-2007.

CookieMan12

May 11, 2012
MichEnvoyGuy said:

It was supposed to be a bulletin, or something to that effect, rather than a full recall. I took mine in a couple of months ago, and they changed the sender for free. It may have helped me that the girl who checked me in went to high school with my sister, though. I believe the sending unit is separate from the fuel pump, but am not sure. I asked that they change my fuel filter while they had it apart, but one tech told me they couldn't because the filter is built in to the fuel pump, while the salesman told me that it got changed because it was all one unit. :confused:

strat81

Dec 29, 2011
MichEnvoyGuy said:

They are separate pieces. You can replace just the sending unit.

With that kind of mileage though, if it's the original pump, I'd replace the whole assembly, pump and sending unit. Dropping the tank is a PITA - you don't want to drop it for the sending unit and have to do all of the work again in 5k miles when the pump dies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online