Just had Tranny rebuilt now having electrical problems

sunnyTB

Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
First let me thank those who pioneered this site. Glad I found you!

I just had the tranny rebuilt in my '04 TB I6. It ran ok for a little while (a day or so), but now it will not start after I drive it even for just a few minutes. It doesn't even turn over; almost no electical power at all. The interior and dash lights will barely light up. After it sits for a while, it will start up and run fine. I went ahead and replaced the battery because it was over 3 yrs old; didn't help. I drove a few miles right after replacing the battery, stopped for a while and now it won't restart. Again, virtually zero electrical power.

Before I took it in to get the tranny rebuilt it was running just fine; no electrical issues at all. Is it possible that some electrical component of the tranny is draining power? Or, does it sound like something got shorted out?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I just want to know the best approach to find out what's going on before I either take it back to the tranny shop or somewhere else.

jham

Nov 20, 2011
sunnyTB said:
First let me thank those who pioneered this site. Glad I found you!

I just had the tranny rebuilt in my '04 TB I6. It ran ok for a little while (a day or so), but now it will not start after I drive it even for just a few minutes. It doesn't even turn over; almost no electical power at all. The interior and dash lights will barely light up. After it sits for a while, it will start up and run fine. I went ahead and replaced the battery because it was over 3 yrs old; didn't help. I drove a few miles right after replacing the battery, stopped for a while and now it won't restart. Again, virtually zero electrical power.

Before I took it in to get the tranny rebuilt it was running just fine; no electrical issues at all. Is it possible that some electrical component of the tranny is draining power? Or, does it sound like something got shorted out?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I just want to know the best approach to find out what's going on before I either take it back to the tranny shop or somewhere else.

welcome to the site. Did you check the Alternator?

sunnyTB

Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
jham said:
welcome to the site. Did you check the Alternator?

Not yet; I just got home from being stranded. I'll have it checked out tomorrow. I really hope that's all it is.

I'd hate to be tracking down some short or other electric issue. Mechanical issues I at least understand somewhat. Electrical (power source) problems scare the crap out of me.

After I get the alternater checked out I'll post the results.

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
Look, we are doing a whole lot of guessing here.

If it worked fine before the tranny swap, or rebuild, then it probably is something to do with the tranny work.

You need to do some testing.

What is the state of the battery after you drive it for awhile? (Read the volts and record)

What is the state of the battery after it sits for awhile (read and record)

If the voltage has dropped off, you have a module that has not "gone to sleep"

You will have to start pulling fuses, but come back here with the voltage readings and let us know (it might be somewhere else).

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
It would also be a good idea to check all the ground connections. :twocents:

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
RayVoy said:
You will have to start pulling fuses,...
... and OWN A VOLTMETER. :wink:

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
I agree with Wooluf...chances are you have a ground strap loose. Start at the battery and follow the leads and be sure they are tight and the grounding (black) cables are tight and where they are secured are clean.

I haven't tore mine out yet but is there a ground wire attached to the trans at the bell housing?

Heck, take it back and tell them you are having the issues described and suggest that they may have left a cable loose.

sunnyTB

Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
Thanks for all the input guys; found the problem. (Remember, I just got the TB back from the tranny shop). Get this....I checked the fuse box under the hood and noticed the high beam relay (43) was missing from the no. 43 slot. It was inexplicably placed in the no. 49 slot for electric adjustiable pedals. Not only is this the wrong relay for EAP but my truck doesnt even have EAPs. Not sure why the tranny shop would have any reason to mess around with these relays but there you have it... Anyway, switching it back seems to have fixed the problem.

On a side note. Ive been reading through a lot of the threads on this site. Lots of great info. Keep up the good work and thanks again.

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
Hmmm, having that relay plugged into that position must have created a current flow circuit that, over time, killed the battery.

Well done :wootwoot:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.