Just a thought...

Busterbrown

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
After reading 200+ posts yesterday regarding the previous entity, I think this community can move ahead by leaps and bounds if members redirect their energy(ies) toward self-promotion. It's been touched upon in an earlier thread. But if anyone recalls, Google uses "page rank" as its mechanism for search inquiries. Google's web bots (or spiders) crawl the net in order to determine what urls are of highest importance and places them accordingly in order when a search is indexed. The more links / urls that Google's spiders see on other highly ranked sites, the quicker GMTN overtakes the top spot.

Arbitrarily searching for "trailblazer forums" tonight resulted in the obvious top spot. But...(and it's a big one)...the ranks of other, less-obvious choices were close behind. The masterminds over at VS don't control public web content and can't filter highly-ranked "affiliates" of GMTN. S10forum.com, GMTrucks.com, and even Gamestop.com are all highly ranked when that term is searched. This means, add your supporting URL's to the cows come home and watch Google pick up GMTN like the next Facebook. Planting seeds is big business when it comes to SEO. Believe it or not, but people are hired by SEO companies to do this 24/7 for their clients.

So, scour the net folks. Much more productive than beating the dead carcass of a mule.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
When many of us can, we're writing and submitting articles. I have some friends in the SEO business, but don't know all their secrets.

What specifically would you recommend? Linking in our posts here to other resources, or posting elsewhere using linkbacks to GMTN?

Jman423

Administrator
Mar 24, 2014
United States
Busterbrown said:
After reading 200+ posts yesterday regarding the previous entity, I think this community can move ahead by leaps and bounds if members redirect their energy(ies) toward self-promotion. It's been touched upon in an earlier thread. But if anyone recalls, Google uses "page rank" as its mechanism for search inquiries. Google's web bots (or spiders) crawl the net in order to determine what urls are of highest importance and places them accordingly in order when a search is indexed. The more links / urls that Google's spiders see on other highly ranked sites, the quicker GMTN overtakes the top spot.

Arbitrarily searching for "trailblazer forums" tonight resulted in the obvious top spot. But...(and it's a big one)...the ranks of other, less-obvious choices were close behind. The masterminds over at VS don't control public web content and can't filter highly-ranked "affiliates" of GMTN. S10forum.com, GMTrucks.com, and even Gamestop.com are all highly ranked when that term is searched. This means, add your supporting URL's to the cows come home and watch Google pick up GMTN like the next Facebook. Planting seeds is big business when it comes to SEO. Believe it or not, but people are hired by SEO companies to do this 24/7 for their clients.

So, scour the net folks. Much more productive than beating the dead carcass of a mule.

There are two parts to our site: technical and social. Just as you are more than welcome to say what you want (this thread) without fear of retaliation, the members and staff are socially conversing about the happenings over the past few months, and current ones as well.

No one is pretending that this conversation is supposed to be technically helpful to anyone, we are just sitting around having a good time. There is nothing wrong with that.

As for the page rank and search engine part, I spend a WHOLE lot more time working on the technical side of things than I do participating in threads, technical or not. We have done pretty well in the short time we have been open, we already show up on Google, and it is only getting better with each passing day.

Your suggestion is not out of line in any way, but there is also no harm in having an abundance of social interaction on this site along side the technical discussion. What is the difference if there is only technical threads and no social threads? There would still only be the same amount of technical threads and they would be answered in the same amount of time. Socially, we are a tight community. Not all communities can say that... TrailVoy was always that way, and we are continuing in that tradition.

Busterbrown

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
the roadie said:
What specifically would you recommend? Linking in our posts here to other resources, or posting elsewhere using linkbacks to GMTN?
Very simply put, create URL relationships with sites that are already heavily weighted in Google's ranking algorithm. For example, 355nation.net has a much more significant presence (per Google) in it's page ranking. Frequent search terms for our platform usually indexes a few 355nation pages. Plant some seeds on those respective pages and let the google bots do their job. A "XDA-developer.com" was indexed yesterday when I search "trailblazer community". We all know that the content is not related. But if signatures or threads link to GMTNation, the spiders will relay healthy page ranking variables to Google and VOILA! This community will grow exponentially.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I guess I don't have a good understanding of how Google works, apparently :crazy:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
javier perez

Members Online