JBA Cat back exhaust

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Anybody have any experience with them? http://m.summitracing.com/parts/jba-40-3027
How does it sound? I need to replace mine as it was a Walker replacement and it's rusted out.

This seems to be the only one available for the EXT in stainless at a reasonable price. I could go with the Magnaflow but it's pricey, doesn't fit my truck (although it would probably just need an extension) and those cans are ugly.

Cable810

Dec 5, 2011
I think there are some sound clips on youtube. I think I've read that some people think it sounds ricy.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yeah, it's hard to judge a sound from a recording but it does sound tinny/ricy. I've read some complain that the Magnaflow actually is quieter than the stock setup. Probably those cans don't help. I might just look into getting one custom made locally but it probably would be pricier than the Magnaflow.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
What part of your system is rusting out? Maybe just get an OEM muffler and be done with it.

Pittdawg

Dec 5, 2011
Mooseman said:
Yeah, it's hard to judge a sound from a recording but it does sound tinny/ricy. I've read some complain that the Magnaflow actually is quieter than the stock setup. Probably those cans don't help. I might just look into getting one custom made locally but it probably would be pricier than the Magnaflow.

I have the magnaflow muffler with oem piping. It is definately not quieter than stock and I don't see how the full catback version could be either.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Mine was replaced by a previous owner with a regular steel Walker system, cat back. Tailpipe fell off, muffler if rusting out and the pipes aren't any better.

The full Magnaflow cat back system has cans so maybe that's what the complaint was about. Did listen to a clip and I wasn't too impressed with it.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I guess the walker unit uses cheap steel? The OEM system is steel and while mine is rusting (and it leaks right before the muffler now), it is also the original from 11 years ago. Given how rusty everything else is on this truck the OEM systems seem to be pretty durable aside from the junk trash can under the rear bumper.

Maybe you can get a whole OEM system from a yard or a partout truck.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I do believe the original system is stainless, albeit not the shiny kind.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Is it? Mine looks pretty darn brown and scaly.

WishinforanSS

Jun 13, 2012
take one for the team and pick up that jba set up lol. i have been wondering how it sounds. i found one clip on youtube and liked it, i didnt think it was too ricy.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I just installed the JBA and it actually sounds pretty good. Just a tad loud in the lower RPM but then I think it does tend to get ricey north of 4k. When accelerating normally, the floor vibrates and I know that nothing is touching the body or frame. It's just from the sound. It has that throaty sound that I love but that disappears over 4k. I'll try and get some sound clips and post them up.

Just one thing though, this kit, as-is, does not fit the EXT. All they would need to do is make a longer front pipe. What I did to make it fit was use clamps like these Dynomax 35978 Dynomax Strap Band Clamps . The JBA kit came with normal u-clamps. If I would have mounted it as instructed, I would have been missing about 3-4 inches. What I did was basically connected the muffler using the band clamps with about 1/4 inch gap between the pipes and the muffler with the band closing that gap. By not inserting the pipes into the muffler, I gained that 3 inches I was missing. The rest fits just as in the shorties except that the front hanger does not line up (the first pipe after the cat) so I just turned that hanger pin around towards the tranny as it was contacting the frame. No big deal as it is already well supported by the cat pipe double hanger but I will probably look for something to support it eventually. And by using these clamps, I made this system completely removable. I could even replace the muffler with a Magnaflow if I wanted to try that. I did use the u-clamp on the resonator because it also has a hanger welded to it for the rear.

Stay tuned...:cool:

Jan 2, 2012
Congrats on the new exhaust system! I used to have an old JBA system on my LS and was pleased with the fit and finish. I believe my kit didn't have an exhaust gasket with it for the cat to muffler connection but I wound up just making one as the old one fell apart when I replaced the system. I will say since the JBA is a turbo muffler versus a chambered muffler like flowmaster, it did tend to sound a bit ricey till you put the hammer down. I drove mine on multiple long trips and got tired of the drone around 2K at highway speed (3.42 gears). Going up hills without down shifting seemed to make the drone worse. Other than that I didn't really notice it if I was driving around town (constant shifting). I have a few sound clips floating around on youtube as well if anyone would like to hear until Mooseman gets his up. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpCyPF0B2nk

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Took some videos but the camera doesn't pick up the sound very well. Will try another one later. I'll even try and do a "chase" video with my son following behind recording my acceleration.

What I can say is that it's loud! Either that or I'm getting too old. The drone is deafening inside the truck, just as gearhead described it. Outside is not as bad but could be annoying to the neighbours when I leave for work early in the morning.:redface: I don't know if it's the muffler or the tip acting like a megaphone, it's just loud inside. So much that the floor vibrates between 2000-3000 rpm.

I'm seriously looking at Dynomax® Performance Exhaust | Mufflers | Dynomax VT™ Muffler as a replacement. Looks like it eliminates drone and is straight through so when you stomp on it, you hear it. Price is even comparable to regular Magnaflows. Only thing through is that I would need to get a pipe extension as it is shorter.

Jan 2, 2012
Please keep us updated! I've been looking at the VT muffler as well but haven't had the time to mess with it. I'd like to get one installed at one point to see just how well the mufflers' valve system works. Sry about your JBA system, it seems as if that is suited to ppl that enjoy alot of noise or maybe for a rig that doesn't see alotta highway action. :undecided:

Mypetropig

Dec 29, 2011
Have you looked onto adding a j-pipe? I have read that they completely eliminate drone.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
Mypetropig said:
Have you looked onto adding a j-pipe? I have read that they completely eliminate drone.

Like a side exit tip? This interests me a lot.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You'll have to educate me on what a j-pipe is. Getting one done in stainless can't be cheap. My wife is already pissed that I'm looking at buying another muffler.:banghead:

Mypetropig

Dec 29, 2011
A j-pipe is a piece of exhaust pipe that is basically shaped like a J and varies in length. Its welded into the pipe to capture unwanted exhaust frequency acting similar to the trash can that dawns the back of our trucks. It can be placed out of sight and shouldn't be terribly expensive. I'm sure a good muffler shop could make one in no time.

Here are a couple of links, one of the is just images to give you the concept and the other explains them a bit. I am kinda learning about them myself so I hope this helps you out.

Being Drone free.. Well almost J pipes theory and application.

https://www.google.com/search?q=j+p...Q&biw=1440&bih=785&sei=C5omUo7JDcu_sASh2oH4BA

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph5432

Members Online