Jack Stand Question

woody79

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
Quick newbie question here ....

I plan on changing out the fluid in both of the differentials and eventually the transfer case. My question is ... as stupid as it sounds, what is the best location under the truck to place the jack stands? I know were to place the jack that comes with the truck when changing a tire. Just don't know if that's the same locations as you would use for jack stands.

:helpme:

Also I was thinking of getting these stands from Harbor Freight as they are on sale. Does anyone know if these are a good buy?

3 Ton Jack Stands

Thanks in advance for any help/tips.

- woody

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
I have those same jack stands and they work out well. I have had the truck on 4 of then and completely off the ground with no issues.

As for placement, just keep them on the frame as far to the front and rear of the truck as you can.

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
Looked at them and noticed the chocks for sale also. Recommend you chock the wheels to be on the safe side.

Dec 4, 2011
Mark20 said:
Looked at them and noticed the chocks for sale also. Recommend you chock the wheels to be on the safe side.

Hard to chock the wheels with all four in the air LOL but I agree if you only have two up. In addition to as far forward and rearward, I like to space them out width wise as well. In the front I usually put them on the outside of K member near the pivot for the lower control arm. Just make sure that they are locked into the frame you don't want any sliding to happen. A good rule of thumb is to try and push the vehicle when it is on the stands and if it isn't rock solid start over.

woody79

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
Regulator said:
I have those same jack stands and they work out well. I have had the truck on 4 of then and completely off the ground with no issues.

As for placement, just keep them on the frame as far to the front and rear of the truck as you can.

Thanks man. Good to know someone else uses these.

Mark20 said:
Definitely a good idea to chock the wheels when jacking thanks:thumbsup: I tend to use the chocks that come with the truck, they work great for me.

RedEnvoyDenal said:
Hard to chock the wheels with all four in the air LOL but I agree if you only have two up. In addition to as far forward and rearward, I like to space them out width wise as well. In the front I usually put them on the outside of K member near the pivot for the lower control arm. Just make sure that they are locked into the frame you don't want any sliding to happen. A good rule of thumb is to try and push the vehicle when it is on the stands and if it isn't rock solid start over.

So just for clarification, were on this pic would you place the jacks?

View attachment 17292

Image courtesy of Haynes Repair Manual

Thanks for all the replies guys. Just want to make sure I do this properly and safely. I have never had the truck on 4 jack stands before and don't want to do any undue damage to the truck frame etc.:thumbsup:

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 21

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
I use these stands, too.

susp107.jpg

I put them in these places. The location under the outer part of the lower control arm would be in cases where I wanted the suspension compressed for some sort of test, not working under the vehicle where I wanted the frame up high and the suspension dangling.

View attachment 17293

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 33

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
great visual reference there. That is the same locations that I work with. I usually have them on the frame area, rather then the lower control arms, and have never felt like the truck was unstable in the slightest.

woody79

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
the roadie said:
I use these stands, too.

susp107.jpg

I put them in these places. The location under the outer part of the lower control arm would be in cases where I wanted the suspension compressed for some sort of test, not working under the vehicle where I wanted the frame up high and the suspension dangling.

View attachment 1747

Thanks Roadie, that's a great help. What about the rear?

View attachment 17294

Attachments

• rear.jpg
    rear.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 11

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
Always be careful! Somebody is awfully lucky in this video and his guardian angel was watching real well.

[video=youtube;PR9aDu_ud-g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PR9aDu_ud-g[/video]

I had a friend I spoke with one morning on my way in to work (via amateur radio). He was retiring at the end of the week and taking the day off to do some work on his car. That afternoon someone told me he was killed by his car falling on him. To this day I am wary of being under a vehicle when it has less than 4 wheels on the ground.

mika

Dec 6, 2011
I guess I am lucky to work in a steel company, I use 4 pieces of solid 7-1/2" diameter steel 15" high, then I put a piece of 2 x 4 8" long between the block and the frame. The TB does't budge a inch, but as Roadie's pic shows, go as far forward as possible, all the whieht is in the front. Just make sure the vehicle is solid on it's perch before removeing any wheels lt alone going underneith.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online