J-2534 and GM TDS

Emtcee1973

Original poster
May 16, 2021
I have a question about potentially programming modules. I want to be able to program any module on either of my GM vehicles myself in the event one would need to be replaced without taking it to a dealer. I think it can be done with a laptop and a J-2534 pass-through but my question is in order for me to access GM's TDS do I need to be a technician or can anyone subscribe? If so then is there anyway around having to be one??

Thanks.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Anyone can get a subscription. I got one for my Caprice and another one for a 2008 TB I was programming a PCM for someone. A subscription is good for 2 years for the one VIN.

Emtcee1973

Original poster
May 16, 2021
Thanks for the reply, I just tried to order a subscription from the AC Delco website but when I tried to sign up for their account it asks for "Vehicle Security Credentials" and I can't skip that particular section.. Am I missing something?? Thanks again for the response.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I found this as far as the credentials are concerned:

A key code is a series of alphanumeric characters used by locksmiths to create a key.
Registered Vehicle Security Professionals can access key code information for General Motors vehicles through this site. This information may contain:
  • Ignition Key Code
  • Radio Unlock key code
  • Immobilizer Key Code
  • Compartment Key Code
  • Vats Key Code
  • Frequency Key Code
  • Glove Key Code
  • Storage Key Code
Key codes and Immobilizer information is available for 1985 to current General Motors vehicles, but some information may be missing for older vehicles. Users must have a valid Vehicle Security Credential from the National Automotive Service Task Force (NASTF) to access this information.

Register for a Vehicle Security Credential through the National Automotive Service Task Force (NASTF)
In order to purchase a key code, please Log in or Register

I just tried to login to my existing account and they expired my password and it won't send me the email to reset it. I went and created a new account. Holy crap! I got hung up on their password creation. Must be between 15-20 characters, at least one lowercase, one uppercase, a number and a special symbol. Just leave blank everything on the right side of the page. My browser had automatically populated my old username and password in the VSC ID and Passcode. Once I deleted those, I was able to create an account.

Reactions: Reprise

Emtcee1973

Original poster
May 16, 2021
You're the man Mooseman!! It worked, I just had an awful time with that password setup as well..I felt like I was trying to access NASA, ridiculous! Thanks again!

Reactions: Mooseman

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I got hung up on their password creation. Must be between 15-20 characters, at least one lowercase, one uppercase, a number and a special symbol.
Just FYI... A password manager makes quick work of stuff like this. I use Bitwarden now; used to use LastPass until they got cute and decided to move to per-device licensing.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online