It's Time for New Rubber... Any Suggestions?

Jman423

Original poster
Administrator
Mar 24, 2014
United States
Obviously, I don't want the Eagle tires again, and the only suggestion that has been made to me is to get the Yokohama Parada Spec-X tires. I see some good and some bad reviews on TireRack, but I would like to see if anyone where has anything to say about them or any other tire. This is for a TBSS.

Yokohama Parada Spec-X

Thanks!

Fishhunter911

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
Hankook Ventus RH06. Hands down best tire for the $$.

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
Lots of SS guys run the Yokos in 275/45R20, Im going to use Hankook Ventus RH06s in that size as I like the tread pattern a little more.

Dang it fish!

Jman423

Original poster
Administrator
Mar 24, 2014
United States
ScarabEpic22 said:
Lots of SS guys run the Yokos in 275/45R20, Im going to use Hankook Ventus RH06s in that size as I like the tread pattern a little more.

Dang it fish!

What are the advantages or disadvantages of the size change?

Oddly, TireRack doesn't have the RH06, just the RH07 which looks completely different.

BO TIE SS

Nov 18, 2011
Jman423 said:
Yokohama Parada Spec-X
I'm running these and like them fine. It's my first set, so I can't give you mileage life yet.

Jman423

Original poster
Administrator
Mar 24, 2014
United States
BO TIE SS said:
I'm running these and like them fine. It's my first set, so I can't give you mileage life yet.

There are complaints about road noise and premature wear. Do you notice any of that?

havie22

Dec 4, 2011
Jman423 said:
Obviously, I don't want the Eagle tires again, and the only suggestion that has been made to me is to get the Yokohama Parada Spec-X tires. I see some good and some bad reviews on TireRack, but I would like to see if anyone where has anything to say about them or any other tire. This is for a TBSS.

Yokohama Parada Spec-X

Thanks!

i just got me a set of 20s and they came with the same tires for my envoy! mines are 265/50/20

harmless

Nov 21, 2011
The Yokohama Prada Spec-X don't have bad road noise. Well, not in my opinion.

They also do very well in snow and rain, if you live in an area that gets some. (generic comment)

Thread life is questionable... I've gotten about +40,000Km (24,854Miles) out of them so far (4 years of driving on them) and I need to have them changed in the spring.

I am not sure if that's good or not. :coffee:

I'll most likely be getting them again.

Jman423

Original poster
Administrator
Mar 24, 2014
United States
If I do the Hankook Ventus RH06 at 275/45R20, will the speedo be off? If so, by how much?

I've also heard mention of doing something with the TPMS, is that true?

harmless

Nov 21, 2011
Car / SUV / Van / Light Truck Tire Calculations

Wheel size/Speedo calculator ^^^^

There's an app for that... well, actually a web site. But I'm sure there's an app too.

Maybe we can add that link to our FAQ database too?

Not sure about the TPMS. I run the Prada's at 45PSI (as suggested), not the Chevy 32PSI they recommend for the RSAs. My TPMS doesn't seem to freak out any.

BO TIE SS

Nov 18, 2011
Jman423 said:
There are complaints about road noise and premature wear. Do you notice any of that?
I don't notice road noise at all.

I know that Eagles aren't popular around here, but I liked mine. And I got 45,000 out of my OEM set. :twocents:

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
Jman, the reason for going to 275/45R20s is there are more tire options plus they're a little wider.

OnlineTires.com has the RH06s, the RH07s are supposed to be more for a luxury SUV/CUV, not a performance application. They Hankook guys at SEMA tried to recommend the RH07s for my TB, then I told them it had an LS2 with 400hp. They said the RH06s were probably better haha.:rotfl:

Think 275/45R20s are ~29.5", so .5" smaller diameter than stock. Although I dont have confidence in GMs ECM/TCM programming, if you do the math the computers are setup for 29.5" tire size anyway ha. Up to you, to me Id just match a few GPSs to the mileage and recalibrate the computers.

Badbart

Nov 20, 2011
I have Nexen N3000's on the CTS-V. They would make a good drifting tire. A .86 is the best I've registered on the G meter with these. I had Maxxis MA-71's on before that, and I could pull .96 lateral G's, but I only got 13 thousand miles out of them. The Nexen's are a harder compound, so I should see more miles out of them. So far only 4 thousand miles on them, but they are very predictable. :thumbsup:

Dec 4, 2011
Jman423 said:
If I do the Hankook Ventus RH06 at 275/45R20, will the speedo be off? If so, by how much?

I've also heard mention of doing something with the TPMS, is that true?

Follow this link and you can compare your stock size to any other tire size (including fictitious ones). It will then tell you the differences in speed, %, and a few other specs.

Tire Size Calculator - tire & wheel plus sizing

verbeers

Dec 7, 2011
I'm running Toyo Proxes ST II in 265/50/20. Ride is very good and I have not noticed any road noise. They also fill out the wheel wells nicer (On my stock height Envoy). As far as speedo change, I drive thru a school zone every moring with speed radar and the speed that flashes is the same as my speedo.

View attachment 17331

Attachments

• a05db71c.jpg
    a05db71c.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 10
  • ba7e5543.jpg
    ba7e5543.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 9

Badbart

Nov 20, 2011
School zones are, what, 20 mph? It probably won't reflect much in the way of inaccuracy at that low of a speed. I'd check it against a GPS at 60 mph or so and see how close that is.

verbeers

Dec 7, 2011
Badbart said:
School zones are, what, 20 mph? It probably won't reflect much in the way of inaccuracy at that low of a speed. I'd check it against a GPS at 60 mph or so and see how close that is.

The speed limit is 45 before and after school hours. I was just using it as a reference. My gps showed a difference of about a 1 mile per hour going 75 on the freeway (GPS Showed 76 speedo showed 75)

Attachments

• SPEEDO.JPG
    SPEEDO.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 151

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
I'm running hankook r06s in 265/50s because I wanted a little more sidewall. I went through a couple of pairs of them on my 02 and always liked how they handled even in heavy rain.

General grabbers were heralded as great but they disappeared for some reason. A friend of mine got nittos and I really like the tread pattern and sidewall look. I was thinking about going with bfg kdws for the look as well, they just look mean

Jman423

Original poster
Administrator
Mar 24, 2014
United States
jimmyjam said:
I'm running hankook r06s in 265/50s because I wanted a little more sidewall. I went through a couple of pairs of them on my 02 and always liked how they handled even in heavy rain.

General grabbers were heralded as great but they disappeared for some reason. A friend of mine got nittos and I really like the tread pattern and sidewall look. I was thinking about going with bfg kdws for the look as well, they just look mean

I like the look of the RH06, and that's what I've been looking for, but no one around here can get them. I have a place in Orlando that can get them, but I would like to avoid spending a $60 tank of gas to get there and back.

I sure hope my mileage gets better with some new tires...

Anyway, $650 installed for RH06 275/45/20. Not sure about road hazard... probably not. This was a "friend of friend" or "I know a guy who knows a guy" sort of thing.

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
Jman423 said:
I like the look of the RH06, and that's what I've been looking for, but no one around here can get them. I have a place in Orlando that can get them, but I would like to avoid spending a $60 tank of gas to get there and back.

I sure hope my mileage gets better with some new tires...

Anyway, $650 installed for RH06 275/45/20. Not sure about road hazard... probably not. This was a "friend of friend" or "I know a guy who knows a guy" sort of thing.

i got mine for $600 shipped online and $20/wheel for mounting/balancing

but the site i got them from doesn't exist anymore

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
We had the "old style" bfg kdws on my wife's 08 Avenger (they were wider than OEM,but IDK the size anymore) Great tire, but they flat spotted bad in cold weather. I know, your in FL and don't have to worry about the cold coughfuckcoughyoucough

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
That's the exact tire I had on my envoy when I 1st bought it. 2 of thetires had blisters on the sidewalls. Just so u know.

Fishhunter911

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
Awesome choice!!

I had them on my 06SS for about 50k miles and they still had over half the tread. As most of you know, I put them through the paces many times :o

Jman423

Original poster
Administrator
Mar 24, 2014
United States
A quick review:

These tires are much quieter, have a better ride, and grip like hell in wet weather (Florida). They look a lot better too!

This is all compared to the stock RSA tires.

I have had no problems with the TPMS, and the installer placed weights on the inside lip instead of using tape weights. I was having a hard time getting the old RSA's balanced over the past few months.

Fishhunter911

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011
Glad I can say I told you so!!! Glad you like them

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
verbeers said:
The speed limit is 45 before and after school hours. I was just using it as a reference. My gps showed a difference of about a 1 mile per hour going 75 on the freeway (GPS Showed 76 speedo showed 75)

What tire calculator did you use? I use the one on 10 10 tires, but I like the looks of that one.

Jman423

Original poster
Administrator
Mar 24, 2014
United States
Fishhunter911 said:
Glad I can say I told you so!!! Glad you like them

Well, at least you finally said "something" to me... :frown:

Short Bus said:
What tire calculator did you use? I use the one on 10 10 tires, but I like the looks of that one.

I don't know, someone linked me to one in here and I used it.

I can confirm, using GPS, that it is about a half mile an hour off, very difficult to even notice and not something I would even be worried about.

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
Jman423 said:
I can confirm, using GPS, that it is about a half mile an hour off, very difficult to even notice and not something I would even be worried about.

I went from 245/65/17 to 265/70/17, I'll be off a bit more (7.003% off :eek:).

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
Nice choice, told ya you'd like the Hankooks! And thats from someone who hasnt even had a set of them before!

(Note, I RARELY recommend something as big as tires without personally trying them, but these are a definite exception as everyone Ive talked to has loved them.

I might be joining you with that rubber but on a little bigger rim...we'll see after Feb. 8th... :cool:

Jman423

Original poster
Administrator
Mar 24, 2014
United States
ScarabEpic22 said:
Nice choice, told ya you'd like the Hankooks! And thats from someone who hasnt even had a set of them before!

(Note, I RARELY recommend something as big as tires without personally trying them, but these are a definite exception as everyone Ive talked to has loved them.

I might be joining you with that rubber but on a little bigger rim...we'll see after Feb. 8th... :cool:

Sounds like you have big plans for your tax refund, eh?

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
Jman423 said:
Sounds like you have big plans for your tax refund, eh?

I wish, Ill probably have to pay more $$ again this year. :mad:

Got into a little accident with a curb and street sign right before Thanksgiving and everythings finally calmed down enough that I can get it fixed. Took out my drivers side rear rim/tire, bumper cover, taillight (just scratched), and dented the rear quarter panel. Going to have insurance fix everything except the rim/tire and taillight (got a set of LED ones from a member on TBSSOwners :wootwoot:smile: then sell my other 3 good 20s and save up for some factory rep black 22s for summer.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher