it's sadly around the time to say goodbye

kickass audio

Original poster
Aug 25, 2012
I hate to say it but my days of owning my 2004 GMC Envoy are getting numbered. The salt up here in the north is destroying the frame of my truck and rotting out the panels I had body work done on to try and slow down the rusting. I had the frame welded once where the steering rack bolts to the frame where it was starting to rust through badly and now I found a hole where the passenger side strut mounts to the frame on the outside edge. I am debating to have that section of the frame welded but am really thinking to say goodbye to my Envoy near this fall.

My truck has only had 2 owners, myself and the previous owner. It has 175k miles on the dash and i've only spent 6k in total parts i've put in my truck since the day I bought it for $10,000 off the lot 6 years ago. Of the 175k miles I put 75k on it myself.

Just to see what everyone thinks, I am looking to go to a Chevy Silverado like this one http://www.heinrichchevy.com/VehicleDetails/used-2014-Chevrolet-Silverado_1500-Double_Cab_Standard_Box_4_Wheel_Drive_LT_w/1LT-Lockport-NY/2991864363. What's some individuals input on that? Do you know any pros and cons to it? I know I can look online but i'm not sure what forums are reputable for that truck and I trust everyones input on this site and love being a member here!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
There comes a time to say goodbye and I think you've done all you can to make it last. That is a nice truck! Good choice IMHO.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
I have a 2014 Silverado crew cab. It is a nice truck, I get about 20MPG and the highway loaded with gear.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Sounds like you're in a similar boat I was in with my old TB. Was a good vehicle but the rust just ate the frame until it got to a point it wasn't worth trying to save anymore.

That truck has the 4.3L V6, but it is the newer one that is totally unrelated to the old 4.3L V6 and it is an improvement.

Reactions: kickass audio
Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
Rust is what stops a good number of them. I have an EXT on my lot with a crack in the frame.

I think the double cab is stupid, and I'd pay more for a full crew cab. I think the teeny doors are ugly as hell and don't look right on a full-size truck.

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
You will love having a full size truck. I've had mostly Suburbans over the years and decided to downsize and get an '03 TB. We had it for 8 years, it was a like/hate relationship. It was replaced with the truck in my sig. Aside from a fouling #1 plug it's an excellent truck. I will not go back to a mid-size truck again.

While I the above post, a crew cab is the way to go, if this one fits your needs you'll be very happy with it.

kickass audio

Original poster
Aug 25, 2012
I love my envoy. She has been a damn good truck.

I am agreeing with you guys too about the crew cab but I can totally use the standard bed and finding a crew cab with the standard size bed is damn near impossible unless I order it new and i will not pay for a new vehicle ever. I prefer used and I don't want to lease as I can't modify it like i want to. I plan to take my HID projectors in my envoy and put them in my silverado unless it comes with the factory HID's.

I will not take the led lights I put in my envoy to the silverado as they are garbage. My sound system will go in the next vehicle too.

kickass audio

Original poster
Aug 25, 2012
Well it's setup for me to trade in my Envoy for a 2014 Chevy Silverado tomorrow. Here is the last pic of my truck. Be on the lookout for some things I am going to be selling from the truck that I modded.

My truck has lasted me just shy of 7 years and 75k miles in my ownership. I bought it in 2010 with just shy of 100k miles for $10,000 and put $2200 in it for maintenance, $2400 for broken/failed/failing parts and over $8000 in the sound system I had in it over those 7 years.

I want to thank everyone on here for all the help and support i've had over the 7 years i've owned my Envoy. This website is a great family and I appreciate everyones help on here. I can't wait to see what's in store for me in my new to me truck.

_CCD4201.jpg

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Be on the lookout for some things I am going to be selling from the truck that I modded.

I'll be waiting (in)patiently.:salivate:
Btw best of luck and enjoy that new ride.

kickass audio

Original poster
Aug 25, 2012
I definitely won't be leaving here. Even if I can offer some assistance with the Envoy/TB I will. I love my Silverado. It rides like a dream, way better than my Envoy did. It takes some getting used to for judging it but it's not hard to drive at all. Sadly I only was able to get 1300 from the dealer for trade in on my truck with the high miles. It has 20k more miles on the odometer than what it really has for age because I swapped the cluster in it for a DIC unit. Oh well, it was still an 04 with over 182k miles so I can't expect 3 grand for the truck.

Reactions: Tiggerr

Nexus1155

Jan 26, 2012
WE'RE DROPPING LIKE FLIES! Mine was in good condition too and it was just problem after problem. Now I have a Chevy Malibu I just got and it already has its fair share at 100k. Freaking BOAT

kickass audio

Original poster
Aug 25, 2012
Well it's been awhile but I found my Envoy for sale online. http://camvest.v12soft.com/inventor...MC-Envoy-SLE-4WD-4dr-SUV-Depew-NY#prettyPhoto

It's listed at $4299 which isn't bad i'd say. I only was able to get 2300 out of the dealer for trade in. They originally wanted to give me 1200 for it. lol. So being how it shows as sold I bet someone around me bought it. It wasn't a bad truck just not worth my time to sink it in keeping the frame alive with welding the holes in it and the parking brake snapping on me for that nice $300 bill to replace it.

edit: what I find hilarious is the weathertech mats I had are gone in there. I bet someone either sold them off or put them in their truck. I hated those mats anyway. And I am positive nobody knows how those DIC buttons work that I put on the dash by the cluster to control the screen.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.