It's probably been asked before but....

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
I have memory seat function, however it only works 50% of the time and when it does not work a good slamming of the door seems to fix the issue. I noticed that when the function is not available for whatever reason, the light on the button is not on either. A good slamming of the drivers door...sometimes a few slams makes the light come back on and the memory seat function to work properly....any reason why this is?

I thought maybe a loose bulb, but a bulb obviously doesn't control whether the option works or not, so then my second guess would be a short or loose wire somewhere? Any thoughts?

Also, I have the same issue with my stereo, it's OEM BOSE upgrade single disk CD bay. I have a few lights which hardly ever work unless I pound pretty hard on the center dash, but the buttons still work regardless if the lights are on or off. Took the radio out and the bulbs are fine, but there seems to be a burned spot on the radio screen. I plan on putting an after market radio in soon, so it really doesn't matter, I just want to narrow down any electrical problem if there is one, and a way to fix my damned memory seat function before I need to replace my drivers side window for slamming the door to hard out of frustration UHG!

Thanks again!

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
The memory seat function depends on a good DDM, and also good data communication to the rest of the vehicle. If you had a flaky wire in the hinge area of the door, that could take out data communication, but then your DDM would not be able to control the other windows in the truck.

If data communications is OK, then you probably have a flaky DDM. Especially a good clue is that whacking the door makes it change behavior. Disassembling it to clean out the switch membrane might be a good first step. Start looking on Ebay. Junkyards are probably already wiped clean of them because of the high failure rate due to water damage.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
the roadie said:
The memory seat function depends on a good DDM, and also good data communication to the rest of the vehicle. If you had a flaky wire in the hinge area of the door, that could take out data communication, but then your DDM would not be able to control the other windows in the truck.

If data communications is OK, then you probably have a flaky DDM. Especially a good clue is that whacking the door makes it change behavior. Disassembling it to clean out the switch membrane might be a good first step. Start looking on Ebay. Junkyards are probably already wiped clean of them because of the high failure rate due to water damage.

I appreciate your wonderful feedback, just hoping it would be in Kindergarten terms lol :biggrin: so what would I be shopping for a new DDM? And how hard is it to change out and or clean?

Thank you so much!!

Edit- Windows work fine, but the drivers window is sometimes slow going up. Would that explain the radio too or would that be a completely different ordeal?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Pull it out from the top, and disassemble the lower from the upper half. It's pretty obvious.

View attachment 19774

The slow window is a regulator assembly. Search for "window regulator" here and on the OS.

The radio is totally unconnected to this issue.

Attachments

• Image010.jpg
    Image010.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 17

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
the roadie said:
Pull it out from the top, and disassemble the lower from the upper half. It's pretty obvious.

View attachment 5255

The slow window is a regulator assembly. Search for "window regulator" here and on the OS.

The radio is totally unconnected to this issue.

I figured my window issue was the regulator, we switched one out on our last vehicle once, wasn't to bad of a fix. Thanks again roadie!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
TexazReece said:
Stop slamming your door lol that can cause probs with door over time imo

I know it can cause problems with the door, but I'm not the patient type. I am 4'9 and my husband is 6'0 its a HUGE difference in how we sit in the truck to reach the petals, and i'm not all about waiting 10 minutes to adjust the seat to make it JUST right for me to drive in :biggrin: plus adjusting both mirrors...its a huge PITA compared to just slamming the door a few times and hitting a button :wink:

TexazReece

Dec 4, 2011
:crackup: my wife complains about the samething but she better not slam Mayo's doors :mad: :rotfl: That's why I programmed the passenger seat just for her :thumbsup:

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
TexazReece said:
:crackup: my wife complains about the samething but she better not slam Mayo's doors :mad: :rotfl: That's why I programmed the passenger seat just for her :thumbsup:

I have mine programmed for me, but it hardly works unless I slam the door lol. Plus for some reason I can't program both drivers...whenever I put the key in the DIC says driver 2, never driver 1 even with a new key made up. I have to use the long recall button to program my seat settings...

If it helps, I always apologize when I slam Phantom's door...ALWAYS!! lol

Plus Phantom is our only vehicle right now, I drive most of the time, and we dont have the memory option for the passenger seat, unless we do but don't know it :undecided:

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Voymom said:
Plus for some reason I can't program both drivers...whenever I put the key in the DIC says driver 2, never driver 1 even with a new key made up. I have to use the long recall button to program my seat settings...

How many key fobs do you have? If it's one only, look on the back and I'm sure there will be a #2 on it. When you use the remote to unlock the door, that remote # is the one the vehicle goes with. You can pick up new remotes on ebay cheaper than chips...just make sure it is the opposite # of the one you have.

Menthol

Dec 8, 2011
Voymom said:
I know it can cause problems with the door, but I'm not the patient type. I am 4'9 and my husband is 6'0 its a HUGE difference in how we sit in the truck to reach the petals, and i'm not all about waiting 10 minutes to adjust the seat to make it JUST right for me to drive in :biggrin: plus adjusting both mirrors...its a huge PITA compared to just slamming the door a few times and hitting a button :wink:

Here is how to get it fixed. Tell him if he cannot get the memory seat fixed, you'll be shopping for own voy. :biggrin:

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Menthol said:
Here is how to get it fixed. Tell him if he cannot get the memory seat fixed, you'll be shopping for own voy. :biggrin:

That won't work....It's already my truck :biggrin: ALL the paperwork on it is in my name alone.

dcbenvoy

Jan 28, 2012
I am a little impatient my self and it has taken me a year to realize that if you put it in drive before your seat has finished moving it interupts the memory and it stops right were it is.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
dcbenvoy said:
I am a little impatient my self and it has taken me a year to realize that if you put it in drive before your seat has finished moving it interupts the memory and it stops right were it is.

LOL Yup, I don't have that issue. My Buick Rendezvous I traded in for the Envoy had the memory seat option so I learned that before I got the voy. It also will not set or program if the vehicle is turned on, at least mine won't anyways lol

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Voymom said:
That won't work....It's already my truck :biggrin: ALL the paperwork on it is in my name alone.
Two edged sword.

1) All the maintenance is your responsibility, then. :hissyfit:

2) The seat should never need to move to a place that annoys you since he shouldn't be driving it without your explicit permission, and he can suck up and move it by hand for the honor of being allowed to drive it. And he must put it BACK in your desired position before he gives it back. He should treat it with respect for YOUR needs, just like he should be treating the toilet seat. Up while he uses it, and restored to the DOWN position before he leaves the room. :thumbsup: :wootwoot: :wink:

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
the roadie said:
Two edged sword.

2) The seat should never need to move to a place that annoys your since he shouldn't be driving it without your explicit permission, and he can suck up and move it by hand for the honor of being allowed to drive it. And he must put it BACK in your desired position before he gives it back. He should treat it with respect for YOUR needs, just like he should be treating the toilet seat. Up while he uses it, and restored to the DOWN position before he leaves the room. :thumbsup: :wootwoot: :wink:

Now THAT description would be a perfect man, but unfortunately there is no such thing lol However I do give you props for that, we both got a kick out of reading it :biggrin:

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
the roadie said:
Two edged sword.

2) The seat should never need to move to a place that annoys you since he shouldn't be driving it without your explicit permission, and he can suck up and move it by hand for the honor of being allowed to drive it. And he must put it BACK in your desired position before he gives it back. He should treat it with respect for YOUR needs, just like he should be treating the toilet seat. Up while he uses it, and restored to the DOWN position before he leaves the room. :thumbsup: :wootwoot: :wink:

To quote a famous Canadian, Red Green;
"I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess."

:biggrin::raspberry::biggrin::raspberry::biggrin:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online