Its not a ticking noise

thehick344

Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
I have a 03 envoy with a 4.2 and something in the front on the top of my motor makes it sound like a diesel or like its got a growl to it.. It's not ticking all though there is a tick present. It gives my motor a vibration and u can see it when it's idling. It also never goes away and can hear it in the cab pretty good. I used a long screw driver to hear with and I get it on the top filler neck on the valve cover and I get it on the alternator as well. alt is new a few months ago. it has 170,000 and never had a water pump or fan clutch installed as it's never been really broke or repaired, knock on wood, mine must have been built during the week.. lol.. Any help or info?

04xuv

Dec 3, 2011
its your first post so i'm bumping you back up to the top. someone should have an idea.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Growl/diesel sound could be a leak from the exhaust manifold. Either loose manifold bolts or the infamous crack. Check that as a possibility. It can also make it idle not quite as smoothly for a number of reasons.

Also clean the throttle body if you haven't as that can help idle quality as well.

How old are your motor mounts? Check them. Combined with a rougher idle a bad mount can allow the engine to move around more.

Some ticking is normal as you'll get that from the valve train.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I had that EXACT same noise. If you open your oil filler, do you hear it more? If so, it is likely your camshaft actuator. Not the solenoid (aka: CPAS) but the actuator that is mounted on the exhaust camshaft driven by the timing chain. Do you also happen to have the CEL on with a P1345 code? After I changed my actuator, noise and code were gone. Before going through with changing that though, check your CPAS first.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86