It's A Winter Wonderland!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Ah man, that just plain sucks. You think insurance will cover it? You think it's repairable?

Reactions: Redbeard

JimInRadfordVA

Original poster
Feb 29, 2016
Radford, VA
It's covered under my auto insurance. My guess is that it'll be a constructive total loss. Until that tree is removed, we're not going anywhere.

And, to add insult to injury, I bought a bumper and bumper cover yesterday. They're in the back.:Banghead:

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Oh no.

JimInRadfordVA

Original poster
Feb 29, 2016
Radford, VA
More pics for your viewing pleasure:
54F26269-40C5-44C2-8C9B-60E1E1B24622.jpegDFCD5E53-0885-4D3C-A9E0-A26CBD97D3A8.jpeg
Looks like the hood is the only new damage. I started it to back it up a bit. Started right up with no strange noises or leaks. Once I sawzall the hood off I’ll better know the extent of the carnage. Stay tuned.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Damn that sucks

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I know personally, I would fix it. Easy fix.. The only big unknown is the front suspension. It could have blown a strut, or does some damage to a ball joint. Other than that, I would totally fix that!

Edit: Unless those limbs facing the windshield damaged the firewall.. That one that looks like it got into the cowl is the big unknown.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Looking at the first pics, the driver's side fender looks like it's bowed out a bit where it meets the rocker (-?) So he might need one or both fenders. But those are readily available.

It's a small miracle that the windshield wasn't damaged. Looks like it hit in exactly the right place to minimize damage.

When the hood is removed, examine the front core support area, since it looks like that's where the weight of the tree hit.
Although... if it's just slightly bent, and he can still get the front clip to line up correctly and no interference with the rad, etc. ... I'd leave it as-is, especially if the OP is doing self-repair (the insurance co. would probably write it off, even with the relatively (!) small amount of damage it incurred).

JimInRadfordVA

Original poster
Feb 29, 2016
Radford, VA
The Geico adjuster was extremely fair in his estimate. He came on Monday last week and I had a check by Friday. The major repairs will be replacing the hood and the battery (which was crushed but still working--Interstate Batteries for the win!) The battery was about 1-1/2 years old, but he gave me full value for a new replacement.

I have a replacement bumper and cover from the deer hit in December. I'll source the battery myself. I need to find a good body shop to finish the repairs.

I will endeavor to persevere!

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Did the intake plenum survive?

JimInRadfordVA

Original poster
Feb 29, 2016
Radford, VA
Haven't looked closely, but it runs and drives just fine so far.

JimInRadfordVA

Original poster
Feb 29, 2016
Radford, VA
Looking at the first pics, the driver's side fender looks like it's bowed out a bit where it meets the rocker (-?) So he might need one or both fenders. But those are readily available.

It's a small miracle that the windshield wasn't damaged. Looks like it hit in exactly the right place to minimize damage.

When the hood is removed, examine the front core support area, since it looks like that's where the weight of the tree hit.
Although... if it's just slightly bent, and he can still get the front clip to line up correctly and no interference with the rad, etc. ... I'd leave it as-is, especially if the OP is doing self-repair (the insurance co. would probably write it off, even with the relatively (!) small amount of damage it incurred).
Yeah, I'm all about doing the minimum. As long as it's safe and doesn't look too ghetto, I'm good to go.

JimInRadfordVA

Original poster
Feb 29, 2016
Radford, VA
Let's not forget the $1400 I paid to have the tree (and the one next to it) removed. :stars:

• Wow
Reactions: Redbeard and Matt

JimInRadfordVA

Original poster
Feb 29, 2016
Radford, VA
Got a new battery. Turns out the battery tray was trashed as well. Got a replacement coming via eBay.

IMG_20210217_145041824.jpgIMG_20210217_153841247.jpgIMG_20210217_145030182.jpg

JimInRadfordVA

Original poster
Feb 29, 2016
Radford, VA
Update
Got the new battery and tray in over the weekend. Took the damaged hood off today. Drove hoodless to the local "auto recycler" and got a hood. Slapped in on so the hood latch held and drove it home.

IMG_20210310_130358820.jpg

IMG_20210310_150936587.jpg
Just need to put the hinge bolts in and align it. I'll do the bumper and bumper cover this weekend, then it's getting handed off to my son.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Took the damaged hood off today. Drove hoodless to the local "auto recycler" and got a hood. Slapped in on so the hood latch held and drove it home.

Wasted effort, my friend. See, the *efficient* way would have been to drive *with* the hood on, then swap it out at the recycler. No worries on your part as far as disposing of the old one! :rotfl:

Seriously, tho... good to see it's coming back to life! :thumbsup:

• Haha
Reactions: Mooseman and Matt

JimInRadfordVA

Original poster
Feb 29, 2016
Radford, VA
Wasted effort, my friend. See, the *efficient* way would have been to drive *with* the hood on, then swap it out at the recycler. No worries on your part as far as disposing of the old one! :rotfl:

Seriously, tho... good to see it's coming back to life! :thumbsup:
The hood wouldn't close. Also, I'm going to cut small patch panels out of the hood, then take what's left of it to the metal recycler (along with a bumper from a '72 Dodge Charger that I found in the brush around my house.)

Reactions: Matt and Mooseman

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I would put that bumper up on craigslist first, unless its just rusted thru.. Lots of restoreres would love to have it.

And we are supposed to get some wild weather the next couple days.. Anywhere from 2" to 54" depending on which weather model you look at. Local weather station had us at 10" when I went to bed last night, this morning, its up to 20".

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Yep -- Denver / CO peeps, stock the larder, as it may be a few days before you're mobile again.

Seems that area is a poster child for wack weather events, now.
Saw elsewhere that there's an area around those parts that has a forecast for... 91 inches of snow from the upcoming storm. :eek:

Wondering how much of that might make it to the CO River, as melt.

Denver: The New Buffalo, NY

Oh, and second this, for sure, @JimInRadfordVA :
I would put that bumper up on craigslist first, unless its just rusted thru.. Lots of restoreres would love to have it.

Reactions: TollKeeper

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Denver: The New Buffalo, NY
Funny you should mention it...

BUFFALO, N.Y. — The combination of sunshine, a strong southwesterly breeze, and unseasonable warm air help temperatures rise into the upper 60s and approach 70 degrees Wednesday afternoon.

Even funnier...
The last time it was this warm in Buffalo on March 10 was when Rutherford B. Hayes was president.

JimInRadfordVA

Original poster
Feb 29, 2016
Radford, VA
More progress. Got the hood, bumper and bumper cover on. Still need some fine alignment, but it's 95% there.

Attachments

• IMG_20210313_162937606.jpg
    IMG_20210313_162937606.jpg
    829.3 KB · Views: 6

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Just started snowing here in Denver, no accumulation's yet.. But the day is young.

JimInRadfordVA

Original poster
Feb 29, 2016
Radford, VA
I spoke too soon. Ladies and gentlemen, it is snowing in southwest VA! When will it end?:hopeless:

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Wow! Snow everywhere and I'm about to start cleaning and preparing the pool for the memorial day weekend.20210419_185047.jpg20210419_185227.jpg20210419_191817.jpg
Its over a month away but I figured get it done early is better then not having it ready in time.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Snowed here too. Light skiff that ended around 1pm and melted away by dinner time. Temps around freezing all day. And my wife wanted me to prep the pool a few days ago:hahano:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Another skiff of snow last night so everything except the roads were white. Old man winter just won't give up. Going up to 5c so it should melt down again. Tomorrow, 15c so to old man winter... 🖕

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher