It is time

Realism

Original poster
Nov 25, 2015
Idaho
It is time - Im selling my 04 envoy and will be switching over to a Silverado. Would like you guys' input on a particular style. There is this 2011 crewcab silverado 1500 thats been at a dealership for a few weeks now, only about 100k on it, was a government vehicle so it has all the work and receipts. They are asking 17k for it which I think is reasonable (will try to cut it down to 15k if I can), but it is a 6.0L V8 4WD Hybrid . I don't know any thing about the silverado hybrids. Normal Car hybrids I would not be to keen on but because I know its a good platform it is making me consider. What do you guys think about the hybrid? The extra gas mileage is negligable, I mean woohoo an extra 1-2 mpg *rolls eyes*. Looking at 20 city/23 hwy . Im mostly a highway driver at the moment for work.
What is your take on them from what you know and have experienced?

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Steer clear unless you're getting it strictly for a work commuter that won't be used as a truck. I'm 100% not a fan of hybrids. Toyota does it well until the battery decays, but who wants a prius?

I personally wouldn't snatch that. Too many systems to worry with that no one can work on but dealer / high end shop. Let anything go wrong with the trans or battery and good luck finding a mechanic or the pocketbook to repair it. The transmission on those is just a big electric motor/generator.

All of this is my opinion. I work at a shop and see broken/falling apart vehicles all day. Take it how you want.

smt 59

Stay away, they spend more time in the shop that on the road, I work for the government in operations and we are in the middle of replacing all of them in our fleet. Once the battery starts going it is not economically feasible to repair or replace. We just redeploy the unit and they end up at auction or a dealership.

Reactions: Redbeard

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
The hybrid battery is a huge battery that is uber expensive to replace. Not just the Underhood starter one.

Reactions: Redbeard

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Hybrid battery packs are nothing like the starter battery. We're talking huge honking heavy (lithium?) battery pack. Big bucks.

I'd never want a several year old used hybrid anything. No telling how much life would be left.

The 6.0 V8 would be awesome though.

My 07 5.3L has been mostly trouble free for 196k and counting. The 5.3L in the GMT900 platform has AFM and I disabled it, and have had some oil usage related to it, but nothing terrible (and honestly half the "usage" I found was due to leaks).

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
They may be ni-mh...

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
And if you need to do ANYTHING on the hybrid system, it's a trip to the dealer. Only they have the computer to hook up to it to troubleshoot or reset it. Even the Tech 2 or other OBD2 scanners can't do anything with it except regular engine work. Somebody asked me to scan it for a problem with the hybrid and basically couldn't.

I would RUN away from it.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014

smt 59

And if you need to do ANYTHING on the hybrid system, it's a trip to the dealer. Only they have the computer to hook up to it to troubleshoot or reset it. Even the Tech 2 or other OBD2 scanners can't do anything with it except regular engine work. Somebody asked me to scan it for a problem with the hybrid and basically couldn't.

I would RUN away from it.

Even the dealership does not know half the time what the issue is, the one that I drive at work has had the check engine light on for over a year and they have no clue what it is, and 12 weeks in their shop. This unit is going to auction in September.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online