Issues with replacing one tire?

NewfieEnvoy

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
Hey Guys quick question,

I have a set of Michelin Cross Terrain winter tires that are about 70% tread remaining. Some punk was nice enough to decorate one of my sidewalls with a knife :-( So I'm down down one tire to my matching set. If I pick up a new one will I experience an issues with the different tread height?? Finding a matching tire with the same tread depth is impossible and I don't won't to replace all four. I've heard horror stories about 4wd vehicles with different size tires grinding gears when locked in 4wd.

Cheers,
NewfieEnvoy

DJones

Jan 21, 2012
St. Petersburg, Florida
I had to use my brand new spare tire because one of my tires got a nail. It was the rear that got it, and all of my other tires were down to around 20%. The problem came when I went to pull out of an icy driveway and the rear diff locked. I went down the road sideways and had to stop for it to unlock.

Trailshaman

Dec 7, 2011
I replaced one recentaly when i blew it out on a trail. The other 3 tires had around 70% tread left maybe less. i havnt had any problems yet, i do offroad often and have had no problems. If the tires have a much larger diffrence in tread i would expect to see problems. Based on my experience i think you should be fine. I replaced to right rear tire btw.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
a few 32nds is not enough difference to cause issues.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
DJones said:
I had to use my brand new spare tire because one of my tires got a nail. It was the rear that got it, and all of my other tires were down to around 20%. The problem came when I went to pull out of an icy driveway and the rear diff locked. I went down the road sideways and had to stop for it to unlock.

If you have a g80, it worked correctly. It had no reason to unlock until you stopped.

NewfieEnvoy

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
I doubt I have a G80, its a stock Envoy SLE. I know there's a way to tell by the codes on the door jam but don't think I need to look.
So I did a little research and the Michelin's came with 11/32 new and I'm down to 7/32 on the three remaining. The guys at the tire shop tell me I'm at their limit for what they would suggest in tread difference. They say that I should replace the rear two and everything should be fine. Thoughts?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Replacing rear two still leaves you with same difference as replacing one. You would have the difference front to rear instead of side to side. They just want to sell an extra tire.

The code is in the glovebox. Will show G80 if you have one.

NewfieEnvoy

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
Yeah that's what I was feeling, problem won't be in the rear diff but move to the transfer case. So it's all or nothing. Maybe I'll buy one tire and shave it down :rotfl:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Why shave it. You wont ever know there is a difference. Just put it on and run it.

The most wear tends to occur on the rear pass tire, so put it there first...

NewfieEnvoy

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
Thanks for the input HardTrailz. Checked the codes in the glovebox and it looks like I have a G80. From a few threads I've read that sounds like a good thing :thumbsup:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
NewfieEnvoy said:
Thanks for the input HardTrailz. Checked the codes in the glovebox and it looks like I have a G80. From a few threads I've read that sounds like a good thing :thumbsup:

It is. The g80 is a nice option. Actually will fully lock the rear at times and can be of great advantage over an open diff. Gives you three wheels driving instead of two with open front and rear.

sevendj

Dec 9, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
Why shave it. You wont ever know there is a difference. Just put it on and run it.

The most wear tends to occur on the rear pass tire, so put it there first...

Then just drive in circles until it's all even!

MichEnvoyGuy

Dec 3, 2011
NewfieEnvoy said:
Hey Guys quick question,

I have a set of Michelin Cross Terrain winter tires that are about 70% tread remaining. Some punk was nice enough to decorate one of my sidewalls with a knife :-( So I'm down down one tire to my matching set. If I pick up a new one will I experience an issues with the different tread height?? Finding a matching tire with the same tread depth is impossible and I don't won't to replace all four. I've heard horror stories about 4wd vehicles with different size tires grinding gears when locked in 4wd.

Cheers,
NewfieEnvoy

Maybe it was that same punk in your avatar picture!! :rotfl:

Iahawkeye

Jan 24, 2012
HARDTRAILZ said:
Replacing rear two still leaves you with same difference as replacing one. You would have the difference front to rear instead of side to side. They just want to sell an extra tire.

The code is in the glovebox. Will show G80 if you have one.

I now find myself in the same boat, one tire picked up a nail. So I have one new tire and three others with 6/32 left. If I replace another tire, so two new in the back and the older ones on the front, will that hurt transfer case when engaged? I am mostly thinking when my wife uses the 4awd feature in the semi slick conditions. If I lock it into 4hi, the roads are slick, but what would happen if I run into dry spot while still locked in 4hi? Would tire circumference make a difference and strain the transfer case?

I know the thread is old, but I am still not quite sure I fully understand. Thanks.

Iahawkeye

Jan 24, 2012
By the way, I have the cross terrains; what a great tire for the road. I put 40,000 miles on them and they still have 6/32 left on the tread. Michelin will definitely get my business again.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
If its just a nail in the tread that is totally repairable. Heck I picked up a bolt in mine.

Iahawkeye

Jan 24, 2012
Nail was in the outside of the tread. I had three shops say they would not touch the tire. I finally got one to tell me why... A liability issue. They claim that there is too much stress when cornering.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Having worked at tire place. I would buy a $5 plug kit and put a plug in it and drive til the tires are shot. I have used several plugs over the years without worry or issue.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Could try and find good used tires of the same type. I needed two for the front due to bad alignment. Found someone that was selling 4 good used ones for $60. The rears have more thread than the fronts, no issues. And I still have two spares!

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
I'm with Kyle, if you are still in tread (even on the edge) a plug should work.
If it was more to the sidewall they might be able to patch from the inside.

I worked at a tire shop for several years and we actually had "sidewall" plugs.
My boss had a break in and someone knifed a set of tires on someone's car in the garage, like 5 holes each.
He gave her a new set of tires and used the sidewall plugs and wore the tires out on his truck.
Those plugs worked differently if I recall though, they had to have a special glue etc and when it dried you couldn't pull it out, it would bind to the tire.
I find usually smaller/independent shops are more likely to fix fringe tires than the larger chain type outlets.

Iahawkeye

Jan 24, 2012
I appreciate all the responses, unfortunately, the punctured tire is sitting off my truck at a Sam's club a 1000 miles away. Knowing this now, I will know what to do in the future.

Does anyone know about the differences in tire size from the new tires(2) in the back versus the (2) half worn tires in the front and what damage they could do if put into 4wd? Thanks.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I doubt it is enough of a difference to worry about too much. Since you would only be using 4WD on slippery surfaces anyway, any slight variation between the tires will simply slip on the surface ever so slightly. Just don't stick it in 4WD on dry pavement - which you shouldn't do anyway :wink:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online