Issues with attaching pictures

Shdwdrgn

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I've been running into this lately, but forgot to ask about it... When I try to attach an image to my replies, I choose "From computer", then browse to select my .jpg file. When I click to open the file, I'm taken back to the window that says to select files, but none of my selections are ever listed. And if I select a file from URL, I have to use the thumbnails because even images reduced to 640x480 are rejected. I thought the idea of selecting a file from my computer was so that the file was uploaded to the forum and displayed in a suitable size? What am I missing?

FYI - Tested on three different linux systems running Firefox 3.6 and 10.0.

JerryIrons

Dec 20, 2011
I'm pretty sure that if you are uploading the file, whether browsing or from a URL, it has to be smaller than 100k, (maybe not 100 but some set limit) I ran into that myself. I don't think the resolution matters, it's the size of the file. If you are posting a link to where the picture is located then it can be any size.

Upvote 0

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
May be a bug between VBulletin and your linux that will need jman to look at. I just tried to upload a 2.8 MB large jpg, and it uploaded fine, and the forum resampled it to a 800X600 (approx) 72 KB file to display. So it works fine for Firefox11 on Win 7 and almost everybody else, without the behavior you're seeing. Can you try Opera on your system or a non-linux system?

Upvote 0

JerryIrons

Dec 20, 2011
Well you can count me in the almost everybody else group because I just tried to upload a jpeg file that was larger than 2 MB and it worked fine. I know I got some kind of message before claiming the file was too big so I had to resize all of my images and it was a PIA. It was back when I did that ball joint stuff. Worked fine today, with windows 7 prof 64 bit and ie9 32 bit.

Upvote 0

Shdwdrgn

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
The other web browser I have installed does not bring up the fancy edit bar when I reply, so there appears to be no way to try and add an attachment from there (both java and javascript are enabled).

So what am I supposed to be seeing? After I browse to select my file, should it be showing up in the attachment window? When I'm on the URL tab, there is at least OK/Cancel buttons there, but the "My computer" tab does not have any buttons other than "Select files". I also tried the basic uploader, and has pretty much the same results.

Upvote 0

JerryIrons

Dec 20, 2011
You should see something like this:

View attachment 20100

In the picture above I have already selected the raquel welch.jpg file I want to include in my article. The upload file(s) button sends it to gmtnation and an "attach=config xxxx /attach" will show in your message you are trying to post, indicating where the image will show in your article.

Attachments

• FileUploading.jpg
    FileUploading.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 5
Upvote 0

Shdwdrgn

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Well now isn't that interesting??? I don't get the upload or clear buttons, just the select files button. Checking the code, it appears the buttons are actually done through flash (the horror!). I have the most recent version of flash available on my system (11.1.102), but after selecting a file, the white area which is supposed to list my files remains blank.

Has the upload widget been tested by anyone using an Apple? I'm just curious if it usable by anyone who *isn't* using a Windows computer. It certainly wouldn't be the first time I've run into that. It's bad enough how many websites still seem to think that internet-exploder is the only web browser in use. In the meantime, I'll see if I can find out any more info for trying to correct the issue on my end.

Upvote 0

kardain

Dec 16, 2011
Shdwdrgn said:
Well now isn't that interesting??? I don't get the upload or clear buttons, just the select files button. Checking the code, it appears the buttons are actually done through flash (the horror!). I have the most recent version of flash available on my system (11.1.102), but after selecting a file, the white area which is supposed to list my files remains blank.

Has the upload widget been tested by anyone using an Apple? I'm just curious if it usable by anyone who *isn't* using a Windows computer. It certainly wouldn't be the first time I've run into that. It's bad enough how many websites still seem to think that internet-exploder is the only web browser in use. In the meantime, I'll see if I can find out any more info for trying to correct the issue on my end.

I can get the widget thingy to show on my linux computers.

You may have to dump the flash cache... Just delete the ./macromedia and ./adobe folders and reboot.

If that doesn't work, remove flash altogether and reinstall it via the flash aid firefox addon if using a debian or *buntu based distro.

Upvote 0

Shdwdrgn

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I dumped the .adobe and .macromedia folders, I installed flash-aid (forgot about that one!) and let it update and tweak my flash, then restarted firefox... still no joy. FYI I'm on ubuntu natty.

Upvote 0

kardain

Dec 16, 2011
View attachment 20106

^^ sent via Ubuntu 12.04 using Fx 11

IDK... the only other thing I can think of is to maybe dump the cookies in Firefox for GMTN... I've been looking on VBulletin's site for a possible solution, but it doesn't seem to be a widespread issue.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2012-04-05 00:59:11.jpg
    Screenshot from 2012-04-05 00:59:11.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 1
Upvote 0

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.