Issue with rear drivers side wheel lock up

Trailshaman

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Lately I've been having a clicking sound while moving slowly forward
Coming from the rear wheel or differential. The sound goes away with acceleration. On ocassion the wheel will momentarily lock up and drag. I have had no problems with the g80 used it today and heard it lock with no problem. I have also had bad gas mileage around 11.7 avg any suggestions will be helpful
Thanks in advance.

jham

Nov 20, 2011
Trailshaman said:
Lately I've been having a clicking sound while moving slowly forward
Coming from the rear wheel or differential. The sound goes away with acceleration. On ocassion the wheel will momentarily lock up and drag. I have had no problems with the g80 used it today and heard it lock with no problem. I have also had bad gas mileage around 11.7 avg any suggestions will be helpful
Thanks in advance.

have you checked the parking brake on it. Any signs of a axle seal leaking causing the pads to swell ?

Trailshaman

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
I have found no sign of leaks, but I will double-check in the morning. Also my parking brake is burned out and the pads have yet to be replaced. Could that be the issue?

Trailshaman

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
I'll check that tomm too any other sugestions would u recommend that I put new pads on?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
I suggest you troubleshoot it to see WHY the old pads wore out, and see if you have fragments left behind. Normally, brake fragments can't halt a wheel. Gear fragments in the differential can.

MichEnvoyGuy

Dec 3, 2011
Wait a minute here...

The parking brake on our trucks is barely a parking brake to begin with; to blame it for locking up a wheel is a stretch.

FWIW, when my parking brake "imploded" and by that I mean the shoes broke loose from the mounting and was grinding into the drums, you couldnt even feel it. It just made a lot of noise. What ever is happening in your case is much stronger than the parking brake system. A fragment floating around in the diff like Roadie suggested or a brake caliber malfunctioning.

Trailshaman

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
My parking brake pads wore out from a friend who thought it was funny to pull it when I was driving on several occasions and has never been replaced. The wheel lock and drag for sec in sand and rotate but would be sticking while on pavement.

MichEnvoyGuy

Dec 3, 2011
Trailshaman said:
My parking brake pads wore out from a friend who thought it was funny to pull it when I was driving on several occasions and has never been replaced. The wheel lock and drag for sec in sand and rotate but would be sticking while on pavement.

Thats why Roadie and I both said in fewer words, disregard blaming the parking brake at this time; your problem may possibly be a fragment floating around your rear axle. Because the parking brakes in our trucks generally arent strong enough to lock a wheel to begin with.

You are going to have to pull off your rear differential cover and check everything out.

NighTblazer

Jan 23, 2012
I have a similar problem when ever I lose traction in reverse it feels like I have a wheel hanging up when I put it in drive it does it for a minute than back to normal. My mpg has gone down slightly but that could be just winter gas. I have it a the dealership right now getting checked out while they change my cracked manifold. I have also noticed that there is a lot of play in the rear end. I will update when I hear from them.

Trailshaman

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Do you havE a g80?

NighTblazer

Jan 23, 2012
Trailshaman said:
Do you havE a g80?

no, I'm just stock (missed that first read) and dealership said everything fine for my rear end but I do need new parking (E) brake shoes. May be brake hanging up.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Trailshaman said:

He would be in the back seat after the first. :yes:

With what has been said, if I ever need my E-brake i'm going old-school, BMX-style bail out, ghost ride and jumping ship. :biggrin:
The handbrake isn't that bad you just need to constantly adjust it...it actually works ok. The owners manual of my 84 BMW which has the same e-brake setup states to pull up until it catches then drive 1 tenth, then pull up another click and drive another tenth...doing this once a month to keep the pads clean. Honestly...how often do we service our e-brake? I know i'm guilty most of the time.

Yours is likely just out of adjustment but one look at the pads you wonder how they were intended to slow a 2.5 ton SUV.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Because of liability, they are now referred to as parking brakes. Not meant to be used as Emergency Brakes.

kardain

Dec 16, 2011
Wooluf1952 said:
Because of liability, they are now referred to as parking brakes. Not meant to be used as Emergency Brakes.

Semantics... If the mc fails, the parking e-brake is better than nothing...

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
I had a similar issue with my old blazer, wheel was making a loud clicking sound. It wasnt bad until I was driving back from lunch and every so often the entire truck would clunk, and feel like all hell was breaking loose. Turned out I lost 3 teeth off the pinion gear.

It was however a good excuse for me to put a better rear end in the truck, with an auburn posi drive. :biggrin:

NighTblazer

Jan 23, 2012
Trailshaman said:
Do you havE a g80?

OK, I have been looking to replace my cover since I have to do a fluid change and the stock cover is rusted and flaky. I have done some reading trying to make sure I get the right cover and found an archived article on the OS (googled it) discussing types of Diffs the 360's came with and from what I read "THe locker will when locked, give the feel that the wheels are bound up.." I may have a g80. How do I tell? What codes (markings) should I have?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
NighTblazer said:
I may have a g80. How do I tell? What codes (markings) should I have?
You should have the RPO code "G80" printed on the glove box sticker of all options your vehicle was built with. It's where you also can find out your gear ratio.

View attachment 19771

Attachments

• 2HPIM0373.JPG
    2HPIM0373.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 3

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online