issue 4.3 gmc sierra

stefan_gbm

Original poster
Jan 10, 2016
mcminnville
Alright so usually I can figure out what's wrong with my parents trucks. But here's the problem. Dad truck stopped running fuel pump went out. Replaced the fuel pump it won't start so we replaced the fuel pump relay, still wouldn't start tried a brand new cam sensor and now it's back firing through the intake after a few rotations. It wasn't doing that before hand. The only other thing that crossed my mind was the way the distributor is with how it crosses a cross itself multiple times on the cap. My buddy said it could be the crank position sensor also but I hooked up my programmer to it and got a p0300 code which is a multiple miss fire.

stefan_gbm

Original poster
Jan 10, 2016
mcminnville
We've takin the cap off and cleaned it but I think it's the electrical current that getting interrupted because of the stupid design of the cap

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Possible. Replace the cap and rotor. Check for spark. Could be the coil too.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Fill us in a little more.....so this truck was running fine then just stopped working, with no prior work done to it? Did you at any time replace or remove any plug wires? If so, did you get them back in the correct location? Most caps have a recess so they can only be installed in one particular location, make sure it's correct.

Don't just clean the cap, if it has miles on it, 60K plus, then replace the cap and rotor as a set. There could be an excessive gap between the rotor and the cap terminals.

When you turn the key to "ON", does the fuel pump run then shut off?

stefan_gbm

Original poster
Jan 10, 2016
mcminnville
It started running like crap then died when he was driving it. It has pressure you can hear it prime. Tried a quick spray of starting fluid just back fired through the intake. And it's a factory cap and rotor so it's number where the wires go but it does have 107k on it.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
I would suspect the coil also....I would plan to replace the cap and rotor first mainly for future preventative maintenance.

This is where I would start, if you don't have a start then I would then look at the crank sensor, ign module.

Does this motor have the HEI coil or a separate coil? I'm assuming HEI but not sure.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Also, I assume there's a timing mark on the harmonic balancer...if so, get the mark on "0" , pull the cap and ensure the rotor is on the #1 terminal, or might be 180 deg off....which is still ok.

Jul 24, 2012
I once fixed a bunch of stuff and couldn't start because the tank was empty .....

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MEHMET ONUR

Members Online