ISO tailgate or Left side Tailgate latches for a 2004/2005 GMC XUV

Syeno614

Original poster
May 18, 2023
Eastern PA
I am searching for the upper and lower left side gate latches for a GMC XUV (the one that turns into a truck). My upper latch housing is completely demolished and there is no fixing it.
So I need to either replace the latch(s) or replace the whole gate.
Does anyone know where I can track one down?

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I have both of the latches, but they are in my spare tail gate. As of the moment, they arent for sale.

I purchased new ones on eBay a while ago. Will see if I can find them again.

Edit:
So the part #'s you are looking for are..
15778433 Left Upper
15778434 Right Upper
15778435 Left Lower

There are superceded part #'s, not sure what they are, and they appear to not be available.

All 3 are discontinued thru GM
Not seeing any on eBay either.

Last edited:

Syeno614

Original poster
May 18, 2023
Eastern PA
I have both of the latches, but they are in my spare tail gate.

I purchased new ones on eBay a while ago. Will see if I can find them again.
thank you! I have been scouring everywhere and striking out. I can't even seem to find a gate. I believe I can clean up the lower one. The upper one is definitely broken.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Editted my post above

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
The endgates are out there.. But are not cheap!

This one is 750 bucks!

I know one of my local yards has a XUV in stock, but I am done wrenching on cars for a while. Back cant do it anymore..

Try here.. Looks like there are a couple in PA

The one in Dawson, PA is cheap, and appears complete, and appears rust free.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mooseman

Syeno614

Original poster
May 18, 2023
Eastern PA
The endgates are out there.. But are not cheap!

This one is 750 bucks!

I know one of my local yards has a XUV in stock, but I am done wrenching on cars for a while. Back cant do it anymore..

Try here.. Looks like there are a couple in PA

The one in Dawson, PA is cheap, and appears complete, and appears rust free.

Thank you! I’ll take a look around. I’ve seen the superseded part numbers but they are all discontinued as well.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Some Related 'On Topic' Videos:

Last edited:
Reactions: Syeno614

aaserv

Dec 1, 2019
N of Baton Rouge, La.
There is an XUV at my local u-pull-it. I saw it 2 days ago. If anyone could post a pic of what is needed ill try to see if its available. I looked at the parts on the GM website but Id like to be sure and get the right thing.
I guess I should try to strip it clean. Might be a good investment since so many of these parts are discontinued...

Syeno614

Original poster
May 18, 2023
Eastern PA
There is an XUV at my local u-pull-it. I saw it 2 days ago. If anyone could post a pic of what is needed ill try to see if its available. I looked at the parts on the GM website but Id like to be sure and get the right thing.
I guess I should try to strip it clean. Might be a good investment since so many of these parts are discontinued...
I'm sorry...I just saw this now. Was not getting notifications for anything for a while. It's probably too late now but the pictures are of the upper left latch part number 15778433. The lower Left is almost identical, but a different part number, and i don't have an actual picture of the upper right one, but it looks different cause the latch for that is on top of the mechanism to release when laying the gate down and otherwise it acts as a hinge when the door is just swung open

Attachments

• image000000.JPG
    image000000.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 2
  • image000001.JPG
    image000001.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 2
  • image000002.JPG
    image000002.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 2
  • image000003.JPG
    image000003.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 3

MotoTippy

Aug 25, 2023
Seems like it would be worthwhile and even profitable to manufacture these 3 latches using a small outfit that does additive manufacturing. Even easier if we had the original drawings from GM.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Send them to China. They can clone anything!

fredf

Sep 10, 2013
I am also searching for the upper left LATCH for an 04 XUV. Does anyone have one for sale?

Last edited:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
@TollKeeper is our resident SME on these beasts. Maybe he can give an opinion on this.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Thanks for the tag @Mooseman

I have an extra upper left hinge/latch, but it needs to be rebuilt as well. And I really dont want to part ways with it until I sell my XUV, which likely isnt happening.

Even if you find brand new ones, like I managed to do, they have been sitting on the shelf so long, that they have the same issue the ones being replaced have, as mine did.

The only real option, as @mrrsm alluded to with his video post above, is to soft rebuild them as WatchJRGo did in his XUV build on YouTube did.

I have not done the soft rebuild on mine, although it needs to be done.

fredf

Sep 10, 2013
oh shoot, I meant to type latch, not hinge. Doh.

I'm looking for the upper left tailgate latch. I took it apart, cleaned it, and tested it electrically and verified one of the microswitches is bad.

The microswitch can't easily be replaced. I had thoughts of manually rigging a switch to manually put 12V to the latch motor but it would be very complicated because the motor operates in two directions and is controlled by the module. It's really over-complicated.

Last edited:

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Only thing I can suggest is to keep on eye on the local salvage yards, and hope you can find one to rebuild. They just arent available anywhere that I can find.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO

fredf

Sep 10, 2013
It's the 15778433 one, I tried nearly an hour of searching to find stock, could not locate one anywhere.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO

When you open the link, scroll down a bit. It will list about 20 stores that show they have that part # in stock. You click on each store to get their details, and see what you can find.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I dont know where you live (your profile isnt finished) to help you more directly...

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
These popped up on my YT feed. Might be useful for diagnosing and the relearns of the back window and roof.

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.