Is this the end?

Hatchet

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
gmcman said:
Best of luck to you...wish I could help with the suds.

Sure sounds like a rod but just for shi$% and giggles, have you checked the flexplate bolts? Would hate to see you teardown everything under the hood then get to the trans to find some loose bolts.

Only reason I ask is no one mentioned anything yet on what was checked....like metal in oil.

It does kinda sound similar. I changed my oil before I had to take it to the mechanic and he said rod knock, I didn't pay attention to the oil as I was doing other things on the truck at the time. I would hate to do that too... Does the tranny have an inspection plate that we can look through? Havn't messed the the tranny much.

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
Hatchet said:
Yea you have no idea. Everyone dropping their weekend to help lil ole me.

I'm not the one to ask. But here is what it looked like today making sure I got on the trailer. Mite I add just barely fit in there.

a5etymug.jpg

Figure I'd post that before someone else does.

Is that a Lifted SS thats pulling your truck?????

Reactions: Mounce

Hatchet

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
Darkrider_LS said:
Is that a Lifted SS thats pulling your truck?????

Yea. I travel in style.

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013

Hatchet

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
e9ahehaq.jpg

New engine.

gazaqu2a.jpg

Only thing left is to unbolt the bell housing and the motor mounts and it's out in 3 hours.

Edit not the latest photo. The tires and axles are out also.

Ryda55555

Apr 11, 2013
Hatchet said:
e9ahehaq.jpg

New engine.

gazaqu2a.jpg

Only thing left is to unbolt the bell housing and the motor mounts and it's out in 3 hours.

Edit not the latest photo. The tires and axles are out also.

Hope everything goes well! Looks like a fun time minus your truck having open heart surgery

seanpooh

Jan 24, 2012
Wow, this is pretty cool, Members helping members. It brings tears to my eyes. I wish I was close to the area to see the swap up close. I would learn soo much.

Is that a keystone light I see in the engine bay? Remember guys, it's oil that goes into the engine, not beer... :raspberry:

Reactions: Mark20

Hatchet

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
It's going. Ready to pull the engine, bout 30 mins of work tomorrow morning. Then we can start putting in New engine. Can't wait.

seanpooh

Jan 24, 2012
The next project should be rebuilding the old engine. Boring and honing to fit a larger piston would be dream.

Hatchet

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
Yea it is keystone light. It's a learning process for me also. And as to rebuilding the old engine. We are going to open it up and see what the damage is and go from there

seanpooh

Jan 24, 2012
Hatchet said:
Yea it is keystone light. It's a learning process for me also. And as to rebuilding the old engine. We are going to open it up and see what the damage is and go from there

I think there should be a how-to article written... then we all won't have to pay the stealership $2k and up for this job.

Hatchet

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
1. Start un bolting stuff till engine falls out.
2. Install new engine.
3. ?? ?? ??
4. Profit

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
seanpooh said:
Wow, this is pretty cool, Members helping members. It brings tears to my eyes. I wish I was close to the area to see the swap up close. I would learn soo much.

Is that a keystone light I see in the engine bay? Remember guys, it's oil that goes into the engine, not beer... :raspberry:

You do realize your less then 2 hours away right?

I have driven further then that to help people change their oil!

Don't worry folks, it may be 4:45 in the morning, and the rest of them are sleeping, but I got this shit! :thumbsup:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Well done fellas

Hatchet

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
Almost there...
ta8usemu.jpg

And it gone.
qamevegu.jpg

Of yea muffler fell off.
hube9ave.jpg

jstrut

Jul 31, 2013
I Just Replaced My Rear Axel Seals This Spring And I Was Pretty Impressed We Did It In 3 Hours. You Guys Doing An Engine Swap In Weekend Is Way Beyond My Level Of Comprehension. Great Job Guys! Wouldn't Even Know Where To Start. Hope All Goes Well!

Hatchet

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
Right after Jones left.
e3ata2u6.jpg

And AJ won't get out so we can do the tranny lines that for crushed when putting in the new engine.
vatugy8y.jpg

Hatchet

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
jstrut said:
I Just Replaced My Rear Axel Seals This Spring And I Was Pretty Impressed We Did It In 3 Hours. You Guys Doing An Engine Swap In Weekend Is Way Beyond My Level Of Comprehension. Great Job Guys! Wouldn't Even Know Where To Start. Hope All Goes Well!

We all have no experience. 1 guy has experience in pulling a tb motor. 1 guy has experience reinstalling motors. I'm just a weekend mechanic who understands vehicles. And AJ is just AJ. Lol so this is a learning experience for all of us.

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
Good work guys :thumbsup: The beer is getting better also

Bud Light/Bud Light Lime > Keystone Light any day :Lager Louts: By tomorrow you'll be drinking Stella Artois :yes:

DJones

Jan 21, 2012
St. Petersburg, Florida
I wish I had worn a greasy shirt so I could help a little more than passing a few tools and holding things out of the way.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Stella sux

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Hatchet said:
We all have no experience. 1 guy has experience in pulling a tb motor. 1 guy has experience reinstalling motors. I'm just a weekend mechanic who understands vehicles. And AJ is just AJ. Lol so this is a learning experience for all of us.

lol that cracked me up for some reason.

Best way to learn is by doing IMO. Well, that is how I have anyway, including a few lessons how NOT to do things :crazy: hope you haven't had any of those.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Not sure if you addressed this, wish I had said it earlier....but any way you can replace the exhaust manifold bolts, clean the threads and use modern bolts that are stronger than the factory?

Hatchet

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
[video=youtube_share;Z5Y1NmpjJ4Y]http://youtu.be/Z5Y1NmpjJ4Y[/video]

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
This is the install to the Tranny. Believe it or not we had it seated on the transmission in 5 minutes!

[video]http://s75.photobucket.com/user/regulator1175/media/mobile%20uploads/20130824_173812_zps405029f0.mp4.html[/video]

Joe, If you hold your head just right it will drop in place perfectly!

I am once again the only one up. At this point the engine is mounted, all of the wiring is connected, and all of the accessories are bolted up. We have to finish hooking up the transmission cooler lines that we had to replace (Joe that will cost you another $100 for the two lines!) and then hook up the condenser and radiator. From that point it is just reassembling the front end body and putting the key in the ignition. Everyone think happy thoughts at noon tomorrow, I think we are on track to turn the key at high noon and hear this Trailblazer come back to life!

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
You guys are kickin' ass!!! :thumbsup:

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Great work guys, awesome that it was done over the weekend. Looks like that bearing pretty much disappeared....wow.

Hopefully all you will need is a CASE relearn but should still run.

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
Regulator said:
Everyone think happy thoughts at noon tomorrow, I think we are on track to turn the key at high noon and hear this Trailblazer come back to life!

Is it started yet? I'm guessing everyone is to busy drinking a celebration beer to update us :Lager Louts:

Hatchet

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
[video=youtube_share;ZYihkhT3Nv0]http://youtu.be/ZYihkhT3Nv0[/video]

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Awesome

Hatchet

Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
Need case relearn. The original pcm was dead. So put in mine and started right up.

Right now needing a case relearn and no muffler. It's sounds like it has a good stall in it.

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
DJones said:
The question is, are you going to be able to drive home tonight?

The animal slayer runs under its own power now and was able to drive around the neighborhood with everything functional. With the needed case relearn, and the ability to save fuel, the decision was made to tow it home.

The work started at 9pm on Friday and worked until around 3am. Saturday was a 10am start and worked until 2am with a ~3 hour break. Sunday was 10am and we started the truck at 1 in the afternoon. I think that 22 hours worth of work, for 4 people that have very little to no experience in this intensive amount of work, is pretty damn good. That also includes the time it took us to tear down the old engine to see what actually happened.

It was a really productive weekend, but I am torn up, beat up, and ready to take the next week off just to recuperate from my couple of days off!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobby2175

Members Online