Is this ignition switch??

ScottS

Original poster
Dec 20, 2011
Hi,

Last month or so noticed a bit of a delay sometimes when putting key in ingition of our 06 Envoy SLT. A pause then starts fine. Yesterday, we had a number of times when putting the key in and turning to start producing nothing. All lights, gauges, etc normal operation, but no cranking. We have remote start on the truck, and it would start just fine with remote start, but even with the key turned to run position (which should tell remote start to disengage security kill feature) the truck would stop running as soon as we touch brake or go to put in gear (the remote start is supposed to do this if it doesn't get a signal that key is in ignition).

We turn it on and off a bunch of cycles, and then eventually it will start.

Any ideas? I'm thinking ignition switch, but a friend said he thinks it could be the lock tumbler itself. Do our keys have security chips in them? I don't have a spare key to try and different key.

Any advice appreciated.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
The ignition switch would be a good place to start due to their flaky nature, and relatively low cost to replace. :yes: And to answer your other question, no our keys do not have chips in them.

ScottS

Original poster
Dec 20, 2011
Blckshdw said:
The ignition switch would be a good place to start due to their flaky nature, and relatively low cost to replace. :yes: And to answer your other question, no our keys do not have chips in them.

Thanks! Picked up ignition switch from dealer on way home, easy to change, didn't change problem. Still starts with remote start but seems like it doesn't recognize there's a key in the run position, although I can turn to accessory position and get power etc.

There's a little silver plunger thing underneath the plastic cover beside the lock tumbler... as soon as I go to switch key to on position the silver plunger instantly dives into it's housing, and comes out when you turn the key to off. I can actually get it to dive in just by wiggling the key a little, with the key not in the on position, and no power to anything, the plunger is in which makes the gear position light come on, and the battery light. That's it. And the plunger itself gets super hot, very fast. Could that have anything to do with it?

Thanks

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
ScottS said:
There's a little silver plunger thing underneath the plastic cover beside the lock tumbler...

Does it have a yellow wire and a black wire coming out of the housing that it's in?

ScottS said:
Still starts with remote start but seems like it doesn't recognize there's a key in the run position, although I can turn to accessory position and get power etc.

Do you have access to a DMM or something that can test electrical circuits? There are a few wires under the column that should be tested.

ScottS

Original poster
Dec 20, 2011
MAY03LT said:
Does it have a yellow wire and a black wire coming out of the housing that it's in?

Do you have access to a DMM or something that can test electrical circuits? There are a few wires under the column that should be tested.

Yes it has a yellow and black wire, wonder what that is?

Anyway, figured it out. We have a provincially mandated "immobilizer" installed. It's a fob that goes on our keychain and talks with a plate mounted under the column. If they can't connect, no start. The one on our one fob is NG, we found the other one we got, we found it in our junk draw, put it on and it works every time. Sure wish I would have thought of that before I bought the switch. Ah well.

Thanks

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
ScottS said:
Yes it has a yellow and black wire, wonder what that is?

Anyway, figured it out. We have a provincially mandated "immobilizer" installed. It's a fob that goes on our keychain and talks with a plate mounted under the column. If they can't connect, no start. The one on our one fob is NG, we found the other one we got, we found it in our junk draw, put it on and it works every time. Sure wish I would have thought of that before I bought the switch. Ah well.

Thanks

The super technical term is "ignition lock cylinder control actuator". I haven't noticed if they get hot normally.

WOW! I've seen some aftermarket immobilizers which have a fob that has to be manually plugged into a receiver, but none that were wireless. I'm glad you figured out because that would have had us going through some hoops! Thanks for the update!:cool:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zee0719

Members Online