Is there any way to access the speaker holes in the dash?

gpking

Original poster
Dec 27, 2013
Berkeley Springs, WV
My '03 TB LS has these fake speaker holes in the dash (where the Bose tweeters would go I guess?):

c3a488053c737e3493cfb274c2028ab9.jpg

I have some spare tweeters lying around and this grille got me thinking I could put them in there, but I have no idea how to access the underside. In the S-10/Blazer the dash grilles came off, but these seem to be part of the dash.
I skimmed the interior trim manual and didn't see anything about this piece of trim. I looked behind my glove box and can't see where I would be able to access the passenger-side grille from the bottom up.
I popped off the A-pillar and this piece doesn't appear to be fastened on the ends, but prying with my fingers didn't pop any clips that may have been holding it.

Does this piece of trim come up somehow? If so, how? Again, I didn't find anything in the interior trim manual on this piece.
Thanks.

Reactions: BlazingTrails

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
Of course you can, remove the instrument cluster to access the drivers side, and if you drop the glove box down on the passenger side you can get to it also.

:thumbsup:

Edit: Also I have heard but have not done this myself that the panel on the dash is in fact held down with clips. you should just be able to carefully pry this up and access them as well.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
:iagree:

kickass audio

Aug 25, 2012
I put tweeters on each side there and another one attached at the base of the A-pillar. You have to remove the cover for the dash at that area and then you can unbolt the 2 or 3 screws that secure the cardboard cover that covers the hole in the dash for the tweeters. What I did to remove the vent cover for the defroster was to grab the plastic panel where the defrost vent is in the middle/front of the dash and pull it up and back to the back seat. Once you get it popped you will hear the metal retaining clips spring loose. I then went from the middle and moved to both sides with my finger to loosen up the other retaining clips. Then I had disconnected the ambient light sensor and you pull the plastic panel up to the windshield and then back. If you have difficulty, you can gain further space by pulling off the a-pillars.

Reactions: gpking

gpking

Original poster
Dec 27, 2013
Berkeley Springs, WV
Thanks for the help guys.

That last time I assumed how something worked I ended up sending 48V into a $100 set of LED lights that should've only gotten 12...
On the plus side, I discovered a really quick method to smoke lenses.

kickass audio

Aug 25, 2012
Also as a little warning, if you take that panel out only partially and leave it sit on your dash for awhile, don't. It will leave little dent in the vinyl that has padding underneath it. Trust me, I did that and to this day have a small little indentation on the passenger side of my dash where the trim panel was sitting while I was working on it.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobby2175

Members Online