Is there a better aftermarket headlamp assembly for halogens?

GeoGoGo

Original poster
Dec 29, 2015
Upstate NY
Hi Everyone,

My headlamps need to be replaced after 151,000 miles of faithful service. I have tried restoring them but it didn't take care of all the cracking.

I want to see if anyone had any thoughts on whether there were any better aftermarket assemblies that are better then OEM? I am going to replace the bulbs as well. I was planning on going with the Silver Star Ultras and would like to know your thoughts on them as well.

I look forwards to the replies. Thank you all very much and have a great weekend!

Respectfully,
George D.

dna59

Nov 20, 2015
Belize
In regards to aftermarket I've tried both eagle eyes and the no name ones DNA motoring sells. I can tell you the latter sucks. The eagle eyes have a much better light dispersion. I've used TYC and depo for other vehicles and haven't been disappointed. I second the LED bulb idea.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Reactions: xavierny25

Ilikemy3s

Dec 3, 2011
Any recommendations on LED head light bulbs that fit without modifications to the housing ?

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Either Lasfit or Hikari. You may have to "clock" them.

jsinga

Jan 5, 2014
GA
Got the TYC housings,they are virtually indistinguishable from GM.
Moded 65w HIR bulbs from RA. They work without breaking the bank

GeoGoGo

Original poster
Dec 29, 2015
Upstate NY
jsinga,

Are you happy with the headlamp and bulb combo? Would you happen to have any night time pictures of them? I would love to see them.

Thank you very much!

jsinga

Jan 5, 2014
GA
Don't have pictures. Seat of pants, they are brighter. New housings made a big difference in looks if nothing else.
Still have stock bulbs in high beam, can tell low beam light is brighter with HIR bulb

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
HIR 65W bulbs are no brighter than regular halogen 65W bulbs unless you have the rare and no longer produced true HIR by Toshiba. I have a pair of the real ones and they are truly brighter. Bought a pair of ACDelco recently from Amazon and they are regular halogen.

Yours are just brighter because you are swapping 55W for 65W.

Reactions: Redbeard

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Lasfit, they've been amazing, superb quality. I did have to reorient the metal retaining ring in the back of the headlights, so that the tabs on the retaining ring were in a position that would let the LED bulb properly reflect the light off the bezels. Once you do that, you're golden.

Ilikemy3s

Dec 3, 2011
Lasfit, they've been amazing, superb quality. I did have to reorient the metal retaining ring in the back of the headlights, so that the tabs on the retaining ring were in a position that would let the LED bulb properly reflect the light off the bezels. Once you do that, you're golden.

Thanks for the info

Reactions: Capote

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Capote,

Is repositioning the ring difficult? How do you do it?

Thank you!
Nope, you just remove the 3 screws holding the ring in place. Rotate it to where the LEDs on the bulb will reflect on the bezel and then put the screws back.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
But, you may have to drill a new hole in the ring. The pre existing holes didn't work for my lows so I had to make my own. Lasfit recommend that the bulbs are absolutely vertical in the lens.

Reactions: Capote

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
But, you may have to drill a new hole in the ring. The pre existing holes didn't work for my lows so I had to make my own. Lasfit recommend that the bulbs are absolutely vertical in the lens.
Didn't know they recommended that. That roatation worked for me personally as far as output and reflection. I am getting another set of headlights anyway, so I may just try to drill another hole next time.

Reactions: Matt and GeoGoGo

Ilikemy3s

Dec 3, 2011
Didn't know they recommended that. That roatation worked for me personally as far as output and reflection. I am getting another set of headlights anyway, so I may just try to drill another hole next time.

why another set of lights ?

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.