Is the TBSS intake manifold different from the 5.3 manifold?

fr34kout

Original poster
Jan 6, 2012
Reason I'm asking is I just picked up a TBSS engine cover from a member on TBSS owners and it doesn't seem like it fits. I assumed the intake manifolds were the same between the two, does anyone know if they are dfferent? If anybody has a picture of their engine bay without the cover that would be awesome.

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
fr34kout said:
Reason I'm asking is I just picked up a TBSS engine cover from a member on TBSS owners and it doesn't seem like it fits. I assumed the intake manifolds were the same between the two, does anyone know if they are dfferent? If anybody has a picture of their engine bay without the cover that would be awesome.

The newer style of ls engines and such are called a modular engine. Each motor has a specific intake design and even a different design from a truck to a car. The taller intakes are generally for trucks and produce more torque. The shorter intakes on the other hand are for cars and produce more HP. So yea, they are different from engine to engine and even application to application...

fr34kout

Original poster
Jan 6, 2012
I'm looking at a picture of a for sale TBSS stock intake and I swear it looks exactly like mine, I just cannot figure out how to mount this stupid cover.

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
fr34kout said:
I'm looking at a picture of a for sale TBSS stock intake and I swear it looks exactly like mine, I just cannot figure out how to mount this stupid cover.

Looks can be deceiving, but kinda match the two up and look between them and see what lines up where. They most likely aren't exactly the same, but that doesn't mean you can't MAKE it work. Where there's a will, there's a way. Just look back in my pics at the air conditioner I turned into a portable, anything is possible. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

- - - Updated - - -

fr34kout said:

Looks can be deceiving, but kinda match the two up and look between them and see what lines up where. They most likely aren't exactly the same, but that doesn't mean you can't MAKE it work. Where there's a will, there's a way. Just look back in my pics at the air conditioner I turned into a portable, anything is possible. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

fr34kout

Original poster
Jan 6, 2012
Found out the problem (for the most part), where the cover screws in, the brass post from the seller's stock intake was still on the screw. I was trying to figure out what the hell it was then realized that's how it mounted and had to take out that brass fitting. Now the cover is on, only problem is I don't know how the back is supposed to screw in. It is kind of loose and I can spin it around.

fr34kout

Original poster
Jan 6, 2012
And tbssowners found out my problem real fast. The TBSS has a plastic piece that bolts to the back of the intake manifold that the cover clips onto.

IMG_4554.jpg

And one of the guys said he might just have one lying around. Perfect

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
the back of the cover does not screw in.. there are 2 tbs and it kinda clips into place... or seats very snug.. then you put the screw in the middle...

edit: i just saw your post on tbssowners.... so you should know what you have to do now...

fr34kout

Original poster
Jan 6, 2012
Yup quick responses all around. I knew I was missing something, and as soon as I saw that picture I was like yup lol

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online