1. We are working on the forum's attachment system. Attachments and avatars will be intermittently affected over the next 24 hours.
    Dismiss Notice

Is brake fluid still good or not?

Discussion in 'Brakes' started by LouisTB, Aug 5, 2016.

1. LouisTB

LouisTB Well-Known Member

So weather permitting, I plan on doing a full brake job (Pads, rotors, and brake fluid flush). Question is I bought a gallon of brake fluid when I first got the car because the brake fluid was disgusting. So the first thing I did was flush the brake fluid and put new fluid in. Now I'm not exactly sure how long ago that was but it was easily at least a year if not very close. I know that brake fluid hates moisture and has a shelf date after opening, but would it still be good if I've kept it in my room this whole time? I recently tested it with one of those test strips to test the copper parts per million and it showed zero. I'd hate to waste it since there's a good amount left but I definitely don't want to risk putting contaminated fluid in my TB. So I was wondering what you guys thought?

2. Mooseman

Mooseman Moderator

Not sure about copper but it's moisture that kills brake fluid. I have an electronic one that checks the moisture content and says when it should be changed. Do those strips also give moisture? Since brake fluid is hygroscopic, that's what you would worry about.

Either way, I think as long as the container was kept closed, it should be good.

3. LouisTB

I'm not quite sure ill grab another test strip from work tomorrow and test it again, ill make sure to see if it says anything about moisture.

4. MAY03LT

MAY03LT Well-Known Member

I had a previously opened bottle that sat for so long that the manufacturer changed their logo before I used it again. I did an emergency repair one sunday night and that was the only fluid available and in it went. No issues whatsoever.

5. Mounce

Mounce Silver Supporter

I figure as long as the lid is on tight you should be fine. Have a little rubber seal don't they?

6. LouisTB

No rubber seal that I am aware of :/.

7. Mooseman

Mooseman Moderator

Or usually a foam disc in the cap.

8. hockeyman

hockeyman Silver Supporter

Isn't the condensation (that it absorbs) supposed to cause rust within the brake lines, rather than have any effect of how the fluid performs?

9. DAlastDON

DAlastDON Platinum Supporter

Both. Water is easier to compress than brake fluid.

10. Sparky

Sparky Moderator

Compress? Liquids don't compress :confused:

11. Harpo

Harpo Well-Known Member

The water content can become steam when it gets hot and cause very unpleasant surprise, and steam gets compressed and you end up with the brakepedal on the floor.
    Been there done that,barley got it stopped with 50cm marginal.:yikes::wowfaint:

DAlastDON likes this.
  12. Mooseman

Mooseman Moderator

That's right. The water lowers the boiling point of the fluid.