Is anyone else having this trans problem?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Last edited:

Wooluf1952

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Hardtrailz, I saw your post after I posted that same link. My '17 Canyon just started this shudder. It feels like a bad/worn tie rod. But after reading that story, I'm bringing it in to the dealer. I only have about 13K miles on the truck.

• Wow
Reactions: Pygot

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
My buddy had under 5K on his silverado and he fought it until it got totalled at 9K Dealer did all kinds of things but it never really went away.

• Wow

Wooluf1952

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I brought my Canyon to the dealer under warranty. They flushed and refilled with new fluid and all has been good for 1200 miles. They called it a "Chuggle" and said it was almost like a break-in fluid. I'll keep a watch on it and let you know if anything changes.

Reactions: Mooseman

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
almost like a break-in fluid
Wow, it might have turned into a break in fluid in the sense that it had wear material in it like a new engine will have a little glitter but factory filled transmissions usually don't get no such treatment. Sounds like a nice way of getting you to relax about it, makes me question it more though as it sounds like a cover up.

Definitely keep an eye on it (you already know this) and take it back immediately if there's another hick up. Don't let it slip through the cracks without them covering it while under warranty.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
It happend on mine too. Gm used the wrong fluid for the factory fill allegedly. The new fluid is a special blend from mobil.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
GM must be grasping at straws to get it dismissed:

GM claims the problems with the transmission do not fall under the factory warranty, as it is a design defect and not a manufacturing defect. According to GM’s motion to dismiss, which was obtained by Car Complaints, the automaker’s warranty is only for vehicles that have “a defect that is so basic it renders the vehicle unfit for its ordinary purpose of providing transportation.” It says the plaintiffs in this class action suit “make only conclusory allegations that their vehicles are ‘unfit for their ordinary and intended use,’ but allege only inconvenience and mild discomfort.”

So if a vehicle constantly shakes because of some imbalance somewhere because it was poorly designed, it's not covered under warranty because it's just "inconvenience and mild discomfort"? Really? for the amount of money being paid for some of these trucks, it should work flawlessly!

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Yea its TC chatter. Aside from mine doing it once at 7k (which they immediately changed the fluod free of charge) its been fine right up to the present 32k miles on it... and that included some towing that would make the TB squeamish.

From my understanding now, since it is a sealed unit the original fill why hydroscopic and had moisture in it which caused the problems. Mines been good other than doing normal bullshit GM trans things. (Slip bang, slow 1-2 etc.) But its the trans tuning not the trans itself. Ive got bumper to bumper on that pig for 125k miles. And I intend to use it.

Wooluf1952

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
They've gone to a completely new (different) fluid (Mobil 1 LV ATF HP) Also, I don't believe the trans is sealed. There is still a breather in it. Without a breather, the heat build-up would either blow out seals or force fluid out.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online