Irrelevant ads

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I do understand that ads are a necessary evil and this site is waaaaaaaaay better than the os, but, is there a way that have Google ads NOT show Ford ads on this GM enthusiast site? We wouldn't want to wind up with Jaguar ads here too!

Adsense is smart enough to know to show me adverts for a Canadian Mastercard with Petro-Canada points so why can't it not know we are not really interested in other vehicle brands?
View attachment 16711

Attachments

• Ford Ad.jpg
    Ford Ad.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 12

jham

Nov 20, 2011
Mooseman said:
I do understand that ads are a necessary evil and this site is waaaaaaaaay better than the os, but, is there a way that have Google ads NOT show Ford ads on this GM enthusiast site? We wouldn't want to wind up with Jaguar ads here too!

Adsense is smart enough to know to show me adverts for a Canadian Mastercard with Petro-Canada points so why can't it not know we are not really interested in other vehicle brands?
View attachment 558

i would have to :iagree:

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
I have to agree but it may still be trying to figure things out since there has been talk of fords and dodge.

Wyle

Dec 4, 2011
What?! You mean those MotorCraft brake pads I just ordered won't fit on my TrailBlazer?! :banghead:

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
I am sure all this is still being worked at! Jimmy has a lot on his hands :yes:

smitty5150

Nov 18, 2011
This is one of those issues that you just need to be patient with. Very new site, obviously. A lot of things wi probably improve over the coming months.

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
Yes, I think it is all a matter of Google learning the site.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I think it already has! Haven't seen a F0rd ad, now replaced with a Goodwrench winter tire pitch. Just put it out there as something to look into.

Jman423

Administrator
Mar 24, 2014
United States
Regulator said:
Yes, I think it is all a matter of Google learning the site.

Correct. The difference between our Google Ads and the ads on TrailVoy are that I don't choose to display irrelevant ads like they do. The ads that are displayed on our site are usually the result of your own browsing history, or keywords relevant to the content you are viewing. If you go to Google search for Electric (automotive) coolers, you will probably see relevant ads on any site that has Google Ads on it, because Google has remembered your search request and is attempting to show relevant ads from its advertisers. In some cases, the page is scraped for keywords before it is loaded and that is how content is served.

At no time do we choose what is displayed.

The irony is that since I've been joking about the Toyota ads on TV, I've started seeing them here on GMTN because of the keywords.

Some ads can be blocked, but just remember that the ads being displayed are from the highest bidder in most situations and are allowing us to pay for our hosting costs... of which are quite expensive as of early this morning.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
That's why I removed GMTNation from AdBlocker. I can handle the two that show and they won't give me an epileptic seizure :smile:

harmless

Nov 21, 2011
:rotfl:

Can we install a net-nanny type app on the forum that blocks certain cuss words?

You know, words like "Ford", "Toyota" and "Dodge". :biggrin:

:poke:

J/K. If the little bit of ads we see is a source of complaints, then I suggest the complainants go spend a day on the OS again and then come back, thankfull. :deal:

JRTAHOE

Nov 20, 2011
harmless said:

Can we install a net-nanny type app on the forum that blocks certain cuss words?

You know, words like "Ford", "Toyota" and "Dodge". :biggrin:

:poke:

J/K. If the little bit of ads we see is a source of complaints, then I suggest the complainants go spend a day on the OS again and then come back, thankfull. :deal:

If these ads pick up on google searches, I can't wait to see what shows up on Stef's banners.

* Canada
* LEDs
* mail order brides
* super chargers
* vinyl
* ss parts
* Prius

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

harmless

Nov 21, 2011
07 TB RIDER said:
If these ads pick up on google searches, I can't wait to see what shows up on Stef's banners.

* Canada
* LEDs
* mail order brides
* super chargers
* vinyl
* ss parts
* Prius

You're as sharp as a bowling ball, aren't you. :dunce:

You typing those in will affect you more than me. :rotfl:

JRTAHOE

Nov 20, 2011
harmless said:
You're as sharp as a bowling ball, aren't you. :dunce:

You typing those in will affect you more than me. :rotfl:

Not from tapatalk which I have on my Xoom and iPhone.

I'm rarely on the laptop anymore.

harmless

Nov 21, 2011
searching-for-info.jpg

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Steph now that you did the quote they will find you.

Google and their key words can be evil!

harmless

Nov 21, 2011
djthumper said:
Steph now that you did the quote they will find you.

Google and their key words can be evil!

:compu-punch: Oh Lord. MORE people to hide from...

They can team up with them guys in white lab coats to try and find me... They could use the help :whistle:

JRTAHOE

Nov 20, 2011
:biggrin:

c0ad3afc-383c-d1b5.jpg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online