iPad installed :-)

Decembersend

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
I had my iPad installed back in November but I've been to lazy to post anything :no:. I'll take a video soon if I remember, it slides out towards the passengers seat so I don't have to leave it in the truck :biggrin:. I had the work done by a local audio shop here in Sarasota called SRQCustom Price was about $1000 that included the Audison bitTen.

Equpiment:
New iPad 64GB Verizon LTE
Audison bitTen audio Processor.

I had them throw it back together because of a mini meet we had in Tampa.
View attachment 25571
Heres the bitTen controller
View attachment 25572
They relocated My AC controls, 4x4 switch and rear winshield wiper switch into the center glove box
View attachment 25573
Here is the final product :biggrin::cool::wootwoot:
View attachment 25574

Attachments

• ipad5.jpg
    ipad5.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 103
  • ipad3.jpg
    ipad3.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 87
  • ipad.jpg
    ipad.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 85
  • ipad9.jpg
    ipad9.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 93

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
now thats f***in tits!!!!!!!! but i think i would spend $1000 on other things lol... looks damn good man...

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
That is pretty bad ass. I would have gone Android but thats just me.

The $1000 included the Audison and installation/fabrication. Ipad ran what $600-$700 New?

Gives new meaning to app radio.

Decembersend

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
MAY03LT said:
That's tight:thumbsup:

Thanks Man!

Boricua SS said:
now thats f***in tits!!!!!!!! but i think i would spend $1000 on other things lol... looks damn good man...

Thanks I prob should have but I couldn't resist.

blazinlow89 said:
That is pretty bad ass. I would have gone Android but thats just me.

The $1000 included the Audison and installation/fabrication. Ipad ran what $600-$700 New?

Gives new meaning to app radio.

Thanks. I've played with Android just didn't care for it.

Yep Audison and Installation/Fabrication were included for $1000. I had the iPad for a little bit before the install but out the door at BB it was $864 but I use it for everything (Basic web browsing, Using Splashtop to fix comps. At work, viewing security cameras, etc.)

Plus now I have a 9.7" GPS :smile:

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Thats cool! one of a kind mod :yes:

im assuming you only use the iPad for maps and music right? Oh in case you didn't know google came out with maps for ios and its amazing!! I have it on my iPhone. See if iPad has it also, works flawless

Decembersend

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
ItsOnVoy said:
Thats cool! one of a kind mod :yes:

im assuming you only use the iPad for maps and music right? Oh in case you didn't know google came out with maps for ios and its amazing!! I have it on my iPhone. See if iPad has it also, works flawless

Yep "music and maps only" Lmfao. I haven't downloaded google maps for the iPad yet but the day it came out for the iPhone I downloaded it. It's night and day over apple maps

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Decembersend said:
Yep "music and maps only" Lmfao. I haven't downloaded google maps for the iPad yet but the day it came out for the iPhone I downloaded it. It's night and day over apple maps

it is day and night over apples maps. I love it works soo much better and smoother also. What is cool is the voice seems like a real person not some robot lol

IHZ05VOY

Dec 8, 2011
:cool:, :thumbsup:. I might get the Ipad mini and do this mod. it might take less of fabrication since my voy's radio opening is right about the same size, i hope :biggrin:

willn513

Dec 4, 2011
IHZ05VOY said:
:cool:, :thumbsup:. I might get the Ipad mini and do this mod. it might take less of fabrication since my voy's radio opening is right about the same size, i hope :biggrin:

Good idea!!! The wheels are turning... Very nice work on this.

IHZ05VOY

Dec 8, 2011
willn513 said:
Good idea!!! The wheels are turning... Very nice work on this.

I wanted to buy a touch unit already, but ipad mini has that portability i could used for school and job too. Plus, a not portable unit was a scary idea for me, since I do not want to give any punks a reason to break a window.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
IHZ05VOY said:
I wanted to buy a touch unit already, but ipad mini has that portability i could used for school and job too. Plus, a not portable unit was a scary idea for me, since I do not want to give any punks a reason to break a window.

Galaxy tab is cheaper and better.

$850 :eek: Never understood the fascination with paying the ridiculous prices for Apple stuff, just my opinion. Guy paid $930 for an iPhone 5 I think he is nuts.

Still give you props man, looks sweet. I am going to look into the audison thing for some future ideas.

IHZ05VOY

Dec 8, 2011
blazinlow89 said:

$850 :eek: Never understood the fascination with paying the ridiculous prices for Apple stuff, just my opinion. Guy paid $930 for an iPhone 5 I think he is nuts.

its like $600 for ipad mini, compared to touch head units (alpine) that run $1000+. Both 7'' screens, but you can get more productivity from ipad. I do agree that $930 for iphone its crazy. sucks for him :raspberry: my cost $350

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
IHZ05VOY said:
its like $600 for ipad mini, compared to touch head units (alpine) that run $1000+. Both 7'' screens, but you can get more productivity from ipad. I do agree that $930 for iphone its crazy. sucks for him :raspberry: my cost $350

Throw in Fab work and something to get sound from iPad to the truck and what is the price. I paid under $300 for my Bluetooth Sony unit I can make calls, stream music and movies all through Bluetooth. Which goes to my separate screens. For GPS I window mount my phone. If I want tablet functions I have a seat mount for my Acer A500 used mainly for torque.

IHZ05VOY

Dec 8, 2011
blazinlow89 said:
Throw in Fab work and something to get sound from iPad to the truck and what is the price. I paid under $300 for my Bluetooth Sony unit I can make calls, stream music and movies all through Bluetooth. Which goes to my separate screens. For GPS I window mount my phone. If I want tablet functions I have a seat mount for my Acer A500 used mainly for torque.

IMO it all comes down to preference and use. I like to keep it simple; one screen, yet many functions.

Uncle Blazer

Dec 8, 2011
How does/will the screen hold up when pressing on it to slide it out (I dont own anything apple so i dont know how resilient the screens are)? is there enough room on the outer edge of the screen to push/slide it out?

Looks pretty sweet man.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
blazinlow89 said:

Still give you props man, looks sweet. I am going to look into the audison thing for some future ideas.

amazing how butt hurt some people get when they see someone buy a apple product...as if saying cheaper and better with get you commission from the company. How cares what others buy, get what you want and call it a day...just saying!!

But $930 is too much for any phone, I am sure that was when it first came out thats prob why.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
ItsOnVoy said:
amazing how butt hurt some people get when they see someone buy a apple product...as if saying cheaper and better with get you commission from the company. How cares what others buy, get what you want and call it a day...just saying!!

But $930 is too much for any phone, I am sure that was when it first came out thats prob why.

:confused: Not sure where you get butthurt from what I said. Maybe its because at the end of the day I have cash leftover in a my wallet and a superior product.

He bought it 2 weeks ago. 64 GB Iphone 5 from Best Buy, under Verizon wireless. Thats my point is that he bought it out of contract and paid for it. Why would you buy something knowing that in a year the company will release a new product, fixing the problems that the old one had. For the consumer it sucks, you buy the product subsidized to promote sales, then next year when the "new" version is released you either pay an outrageous amount for it, or wait until you can buy with a new contract.

If you want to debate as we have before we know the thread, I made a generalized opinion without knocking on the manufacturer. At the same time I learned some things from the OP and still think it is a pretty badass customization.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
blazinlow89 said:
:confused: Not sure where you get butthurt from what I said. Maybe its because at the end of the day I have cash leftover in a my wallet and a superior product.

He bought it 2 weeks ago. 64 GB Iphone 5 from Best Buy, under Verizon wireless. Thats my point is that he bought it out of contract and paid for it. Why would you buy something knowing that in a year the company will release a new product, fixing the problems that the old one had. For the consumer it sucks, you buy the product subsidized to promote sales, then next year when the "new" version is released you either pay an outrageous amount for it, or wait until you can buy with a new contract.

If you want to debate as we have before we know the thread, I made a generalized opinion without knocking on the manufacturer. At the same time I learned some things from the OP and still think it is a pretty badass customization.

Sorry but thats your friends fault for spending that amount for a phone. On a laptop for sure even a tablet maybe but not a phone that you end up changing within 1-2 years later. But also even with android out of contract your looking at $600 and all. Yeah its not $900+ but close enough. But I am not getting into a debate myself because its what we like in the end not what others like. Just saying the man puts an iPad in his car and has to read a comment saying a galaxy tab is "better". That word is in the eye of the holder :thumbsup:

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
ItsOnVoy said:
Just saying the man puts an iPad in his car and has to read a comment saying a galaxy tab is "better". That word is in the eye of the holder :thumbsup:

That was in reference to another poster talking about using an iPad mini, not the OP. I understand your point though. Still never disagreed that the iPad in the dash was not badass.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Steve A said:
How did you get the controls into the console? I want to do that, (the controls thing). I plan on getting a head unit, instead of putting and iPad/tablet in the dash.

Steve

Extend the harnesses to the desired location.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
blazinlow89 said:
Extend the harnesses to the desired location.
The trivial details are left as an exercise for the student. Nobody will have a premade harness.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
the roadie said:
The trivial details are left as an exercise for the student. Nobody will have a premade harness.

Fabricate an extension harness to reach the desired location.:wink:

Decembersend

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
Uncle Blazer said:
How does/will the screen hold up when pressing on it to slide it out (I dont own anything apple so i dont know how resilient the screens are)? is there enough room on the outer edge of the screen to push/slide it out?

Looks pretty sweet man.

Sorry I haven't been on here in what seems like forever but to answer your question the iPad is very durable and the mount was designed with black suede to protect the back from scratches and it helps it slide out. I can slide it out with one finger.

It pretty much fits like a glove so it doesn't bounce around.

Decembersend

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
Steve A said:
How did you get the controls into the console? I want to do that, (the controls thing). I plan on getting a head unit, instead of putting and iPad/tablet in the dash.

Steve

They just cut the existing harnesses and extended them with speaker wire which consisted of 32 wires I believe and lots of butt connectors then they spliced the harness back together in the console.

Decembersend

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
I haven't driven my TB in a long time due to being slammed at work and its easier to take my work truck just incase I have to grab a trailer to go and do some installs for the AC company I work for.

Basically I'm an AC installer/IT manager/Security Manger/Vehicle Manager Lmfao

Anyways what I'm getting at is I said I'd post a video and I haven't had time but I will do it soon

harmless

Nov 21, 2011
Interesting idea... :undecided: Nice install!! :thumbsup:

Not sure I like where the HVAC controls are - I use my center console.

I wonder if we can make an APP for climate controls! :cool: That would be epic! (would probably have to use the digital HVAC console as a base setup/controller.... oh the wheels are turning now... :crazy:)

Decembersend

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
harmless said:
Interesting idea... :undecided: Nice install!! :thumbsup:

Not sure I like where the HVAC controls are - I use my center console.

I wonder if we can make an APP for climate controls! :cool: That would be epic! (would probably have to use the digital HVAC console as a base setup/controller.... oh the wheels are turning now... :crazy:)

I just has junk in mine so using it didn't really bother me. I did have another idea and that was to initially have them put it where the cup holders are at an angle and have them redesign the center to have new cup holders molded in. I also thought about the app it would be epic :yes:

jimtrailblazer said:
WOW ! Awesome!

Thank you

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
harmless said:
seen plenty of mp3car guys integrate old vacuum controlled hvacs using solenoids

digital hvac would be difficult due to complexity. the regular one, on the other hand, is feasible. take the hvac head unit, desolder all the switches and potentiometers and control those inputs via gpio and dac on a ucontroller and write a Bluetooth i/f

harmless

Nov 21, 2011
jimmyjam said:
seen plenty of mp3car guys integrate old vacuum controlled hvacs using solenoids

digital hvac would be difficult due to complexity. the regular one, on the other hand, is feasible. take the hvac head unit, desolder all the switches and potentiometers and control those inputs via gpio and dac on a ucontroller and write a Bluetooth i/f

English man, english!!! :raspberry: :rotfl:

That seems wayyyyy above my pay grade. :stars:

DDonnie

Mar 26, 2012
Would you be willing to take a picture of this showing the opening from the passenger side? Also, do you have something that covers it? I'm looking at doing something similar and just want to get an idea of how it will look.

Feb 16, 2012
Not gonna like, I LOVE some of those mods!! The HVAC, wiper and 4x4 relocated to the center console!! **thumbs up**

I am in the process of figuring out how I will manage to install a CarPC. I want to get one of the rear entertainment centers and remove the screen, and install the touchscreen I bought in its place, and install the whole unit up front, instead of its standard location in the back for rear passengers to see it.

Decembersend

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
dcmtnbkr said:
Would you be willing to take a picture of this showing the opening from the passenger side? Also, do you have something that covers it? I'm looking at doing something similar and just want to get an idea of how it will look.

Sorry I haven't been on here in forever, I've been doing that a lot lately. I plan on working on the TB this weekend so I will get pics/video of everything.

Zapp Brannigan said:
Not gonna like, I LOVE some of those mods!! The HVAC, wiper and 4x4 relocated to the center console!! **thumbs up**

I am in the process of figuring out how I will manage to install a CarPC. I want to get one of the rear entertainment centers and remove the screen, and install the touchscreen I bought in its place, and install the whole unit up front, instead of its standard location in the back for rear passengers to see it.

Thanks I love the way it looks too. That's what I love about my iPad granted it doesn't have all the features as a PC but more then gets the job done. Good luck on your CarPC install.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online