Intermittent problems with Cruise control and engine light is on

400Magnum

Original poster
Dec 23, 2011
A few days ago the cruise control started acting odd, it would just disengage for no reason, I'd set it again and it'd be fine for a few minutes, then go off. I'd set it again, and it'd stay on for a while and then shut off. This happened several times and I got tired of messing with it and just quit using it. Then a day or so later my wife drove the Envoy and it did the same thing to her. Then the check engine light came on.

My question is this. Is there a way to get the engine code without having to use a scanner? I thought there was a procedure where you could cycle the ignition switch back and forth a certain number of times and then count the blinking light to get the code number? Or am I thinking of one of my other cars?? Getting too old to keep 'em straight anymore.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
No alternative to using a scanner. But many engine codes will suppress cruise control operation, so that's not a real surprise.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Some auto parts stores will read the codes for free, hoping you will buy parts from them.

If you go that route, get the actual code, not their interpretation of it, come back here and we should be able to help.

jham

Nov 20, 2011
heres a list that I have used to try to fugure my cruise out. The Cruise control circuit goes through the ignition switch as well
The PCM inhibits the cruise control operation when any of the following conditions exist:

* The PCM detects that the center high mounted stop lamp (CHMSL) is not operating properly.
* A Cruise Control System related DTC has been set.
* The vehicle speed is less than 40 km/h (25 mph).
* The vehicle is in PARK, REVERSE, NEUTRAL, or 1st gear.
* The engine RPM low.
* The engine RPM is high.
* The vehicle speed is to high.
* The system voltage is not between 6 volts and 16 volts.
* The antilock brake system/traction control system is active for more than 2 seconds.

christo829

Dec 7, 2011
Fairfax, Virginia
No more easy reading of CEL..that went out with OBD-I. I haven't been able to do that
since my '92 S10 Blazer. As mentioned, many auto parts places will let you borrow
their scanner in hopes you'll buy parts from them.

Go for the code first. My cruise was shutting off from the quick blink of the CEL I was
getting when my throttle body needed cleaning. The code never set, but I'd see a really
quick flash of the CEL, not much more than an eye blink, and the cruise would shut off.
I checked for codes, didn't have any even pending, cleaned the throttle body, and never
had the issue again.

Not necessarily saying that your problem is the throttle body, but rather that a lot of
conditions can cause the cruise to disconnect. Why not start with the obvious CEL and
diagnose from there?

Good Luck!

Chris

400Magnum

Original poster
Dec 23, 2011
the roadie said:
No alternative to using a scanner. But many engine codes will suppress cruise control operation, so that's not a real surprise.
Rats... I really was hoping that I could. Yeah, it's not a surprise to me either that one can affect the other. In fact, I'm hoping that they're related just so I don't have two problems that I have to track down.

Wooluf1952 said:
Some auto parts stores will read the codes for free, hoping you will buy parts from them.

If you go that route, get the actual code, not their interpretation of it, come back here and we should be able to help.

I'll be sure to get the actual code and not their interpretation, thanks for the tip!!

jham said:
heres a list that I have used to try to fugure my cruise out. The Cruise control circuit goes through the ignition switch as well
The PCM inhibits the cruise control operation when any of the following conditions exist:

* The PCM detects that the center high mounted stop lamp (CHMSL) is not operating properly.
* A Cruise Control System related DTC has been set.
* The vehicle speed is less than 40 km/h (25 mph).
* The vehicle is in PARK, REVERSE, NEUTRAL, or 1st gear.
* The engine RPM low.
* The engine RPM is high.
* The vehicle speed is to high.
* The system voltage is not between 6 volts and 16 volts.
* The antilock brake system/traction control system is active for more than 2 seconds.

I'll check the CHMSL and get a code reading. The only other one that might apply is the antilock brake system. I just replaced both of the front hub bearings, I wonder if one of the connections came loose?

christo829 said:
No more easy reading of CEL..that went out with OBD-I. I haven't been able to do that
since my '92 S10 Blazer. As mentioned, many auto parts places will let you borrow
their scanner in hopes you'll buy parts from them.

Go for the code first. My cruise was shutting off from the quick blink of the CEL I was
getting when my throttle body needed cleaning. The code never set, but I'd see a really
quick flash of the CEL, not much more than an eye blink, and the cruise would shut off.
I checked for codes, didn't have any even pending, cleaned the throttle body, and never
had the issue again.

Not necessarily saying that your problem is the throttle body, but rather that a lot of
conditions can cause the cruise to disconnect. Why not start with the obvious CEL and
diagnose from there?

Good Luck!

Chris

Actually, I can get codes from my 2000 Dodge Intrepid by doing the ignition switch cycling and it's OBD-II. I just figured all of them could do that if my old Trep could. Yeah, I'm going to get the code and take it from there. I was just hoping I could do this in my driveway. I don't know, as often as this thing throws codes anymore, I might be better off just getting a basic code reader so I can do this myself and not have to depend on the parts store being open and the vehicle being in running condition.

Any recommendations for a good quality low-priced reader?

Wishbone

Dec 5, 2011
400Magnum said:
I'll check the CHMSL and get a code reading. The only other one that might apply is the antilock brake system. I just replaced both of the front hub bearings, I wonder if one of the connections came loose?

I just got both my front wheel hubs replaced and now my cruise control is dropping out intermittently. I wonder if Magnum ever resolved his issue for sure.:confused: Guess I'll have to take a look at all the connections again...:undecided:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher