Intermittent Issues

Dan107

Original poster
Jan 25, 2020
Michigan
I have a 2008 Chevy Trailblazer and I had issues with my key fobs, rear license plate lights and the rear tail gate not working.
matter reading some of the threads in here it was the same issue as most of you had with broken wires in the boot. I fixed all of those wire and everything worked great for awhile, but now it seems like all those same things stop working again and then start working like they should. I tore the boot apart again and looked at all the wires which were fine can this be the tailgate module intermediated working/not working.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks Dan

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
Sterling Heights, Michigan
Welcome to GMTNATION!

Are you getting any check engine lights for anything?
Have you checked to see where you're losing power going back/inside the tailgate?

I had the exact same problem and it ended up being my rear window defroster was not attached to the glass properly, so don't forget to check that connection.

Dan107

Original poster
Jan 25, 2020
Michigan
No Check engine light is on but now that I think of it I will check power going into the lift gate module and make sure that is good. I was thinking it could be that module just going bad.
I will let you know after I Check it.
thanks for the help much appreciated.

Reactions: Maverick6587

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
"looking at wires" is like looking at women... they could be good or bad... :smile: get a meter and check the electrical conditions at the connector in the lift gate.

Reactions: Dan107

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
you can even do some equivalent electrical tests of the same pins to see if they "make sense" which will tell if indeed the module has issues.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Not being critical... just curious... What method did you use to re-connect the Colored Wires in The Boot? Your success with things working immediately afterwards...and then failing makes me think that re-visiting the repair could be very revealing.

The Best Method is to use Auto Quality Heat Shrink Tubes slid along the separated wires and then Soldering them together. After that... using a Butane Lighter or even Wood Matches... Heat Shrink the protective tubing sections down until the Sealant bubbles out of both ends of these repaired connections.

Avoid using common Butt Connectors, Wire Acorns and Common Electric Tape as All Three WILL let you down in Motor Vehicles due to excessive motion and vibration constantly attacking those connections.

Take a moment to review THIS Thread for relevance to this very same problem:

Last edited:
Reactions: Redbeard

Dan107

Original poster
Jan 25, 2020
Michigan
I soldered the wires back together in the boot then put electrical tape around each connection and then tapped all the wires with more electrical tape.
I’m going to tear into it again tomorrow, I just purchased heat shrink tubes to put all the wires back together the correct way and see how that works out for me. Sounds like that could be the issue right now.

Reactions: mrrsm

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online

No members online now.