Intermittent headlights

STLtrailbSS

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
On Friday my headlights just randomly went off for about 20 seconds then popped right back on, last night they went out repeatedly for longer periods of time talking 40 seconds to 2 minutes. Turned the truck off and on,flipped the headlight switch god knows how many times. Headlight fuses were good and also all operations on the headlight switch work great except the damn headlights. So wondering if you guys have ideas. This is all just in time for me to order my HIDs too. Truck has been acting weird lately.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Did you check the plugs themselves? Any melting or corrosion on the connectors? You could be getting temperature sensitive intermittent connections, causing your problems. :twocents:

n0kfb

Dec 8, 2011
Have youi checked the headlight relay (not really a relay, but an electronic module) in the fusebox under the hood? The next time you have trouble swap it with the fan clutch relay. If it is bad, you might get a check engine light but at least your headlights will work.

-- Dan Meyer :coffee:

floridafitz

Jan 2, 2012
Winter Springs FL
Ditto. Freaking unbelievable design flaw with the module....no redundancy....no warning. Just blackout!! If I'm not mistaken, you can flip on the brights but who knows that when it goes dark and you freak on the expressway.

STLtrailbSS

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
All the wiring is beautiful, I'm going to replace the relay and hope for the best.

STLtrailbSS

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Anyone know where i can find a hdm relay thats not $70! Helppp!

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Where are you seeing them for $70? :confused:

Autozone or Advance Auto are about $20-25 or so.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
yea, about $40 for the relays here.. mine went out last year,..

STLtrailbSS

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I guess I will have to go to a dealer because just on Google shopping looks like everyone is sold out of the one I need.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Just stop in your local autozone or call them or something. I wouldn't trust google shopping for B&M store stock status :no:

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Plenty of redundancy if you count the fan clutch relay next door as a spare. The designers DID do something right when they put in FOUR fuses for the four lamps, so one blown low beam won't take out the other side at the same time. And you can flip on the brights to save your life in the dark. Panic needs to be evolved out of the species. It's a bad anti-survival trait we've been coddling for too long. :wink:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
You might shoot a PM to member Saze, he bought one prematurely while troubleshooting an HID issue a year or so ago. If he's still got it, I'm sure he wouldn't mind sending it to you. :twocents:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnnnyj

Members Online