Intermittent brake grind

sunliner

Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
So I take my son's trailblazer to the store last night...as I'm pulling in, apply the brakes and there's a lovely sound like someone dragging a concrete block down the road. Goes away when brakes are off. So I figure time for new pads/rotors. I drove the truck today and brakes are perfectly quiet. It's been 7 years since last brake job, so I'm replacing, but just wondering how they could grind hellishly, then not at all next day?

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
When brakes heat up, things expand. A pad wear indicator that's just starting to come into contact with the rotor will do so and be more noticeable when the brakes are hot. Vehicle is parked and brakes cool down - the wear indicator is farther away from the rotor and you don't hear them until they get hot again.

If not addressed, the pads will wear enough to where they'll be noisy sooner and sooner, eventually getting to the point where they're scraping 100% of the time (or nearly so).

In days of yore, if you caught it soon enough, you could have the rotors turned and only have to buy pads. Now, with rotors made ever-thinner, most people just replace them at every brake job, since it costs just as much to turn them on a lathe, now (if they're even thick enough), as it does to replace them outright.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
The "Hellish Grinding Noise" can occur if the Brake Pad Material Adhesive separates from its Metal Shell and falls loose... allowing for the Brake Pedal to drop towards the floorboard while the instantaneous "Metal to Metal" contact creates all of the new noise:

WORNBRAKES.jpeg

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Could have been a rock. Still worth a look.

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
Sterling Heights, Michigan
If you only ever heard it the one time. I would say a rock, like Mooseman. I would also check the dust plates. My dad's truck had a hellish grinding that you could hear from a block away. ended up being two horribly rusted dust plates that were about to fall off.

Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online