Intermittant cruise control problem

JAVINDRA

Original poster
May 27, 2018
brampton ontario canada
Hello GMT Nation I have a 03 GMC Envoy xl 4.2 6CYL. with a problem with intermittent cruise control activation . Sometimes it comes on others it doesn't ,when it is on it stays on till di activated my problem is should I first look at the switch on the turn signal or the brake switch please refer me to any posts on this issue I understand that it is a common issue ...thanks Javindra

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
best guess would be the brake switch. You can take it apart and inspect the contacts... or just replace it as it is relatively cheap. The main problem is that the contacts tend to get "burnt" due to how the switch functions (long copper member which is bent repeatedly by the brake action... eventual the contact point is making poorer and poorer contact causing arching which burns the contact more).

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Check for codes. Some codes prevent activation of cruise for some oddball reason. Also check brake lights for proper operation and burnt bulbs.

Reactions: Redbeard

JAVINDRA

Original poster
May 27, 2018
brampton ontario canada
best guess would be the brake switch. You can take it apart and inspect the contacts... or just replace it as it is relatively cheap. The main problem is that the contacts tend to get "burnt" due to how the switch functions (long copper member which is bent repeatedly by the brake action... eventual the contact point is making poorer and poorer contact causing arching which burns the contact more).
Thanks for the reply the brake switch is by far the easiest and cheapest option but I have a gut feeling that it is the column switch because all three brake lights are working

Check for codes. Some codes prevent activation of cruise for some oddball reason. Also check brake lights for proper operation and burnt bulbs.
Thanks for the reply I will hook up my code reader and check for errors as for the brake switch all my lights are operating normally I have a gut feeling that it is a defective column turn switch

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Brake lights work but doesn't mean there isn't a problem with the switch. I barely tap my brakes and cruise cuts off.

Reactions: Blckshdw

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
there are three separate contacts in the brake switch... which need to be operational.

JAVINDRA

Original poster
May 27, 2018
brampton ontario canada
My issue is that the cruise controll doesn't always set sometimes it is simply shutting off the ignition and then restarting but it works properly when it is on . I will though replace the brake switch first before I tackle the column switch. ...thanks for the reply

JAVINDRA

Original poster
May 27, 2018
brampton ontario canada
Sorry what I meant to say is just by stopping and turning off the the ignition for a minute the restarting sometimes is enough to get the cruise control to set once you are up to speed ...sorry for the confusion

jsinga

Jan 5, 2014
GA
you are describing a classic case of "pending P01345" this code will disable cruse. when you cycle the ignition the code clears' cruse starts working.
your problem is in the CPAS.

JS

JAVINDRA

Original poster
May 27, 2018
brampton ontario canada
OK it is the crankshaft position actuator sensor or actuator but not sure if that is my cause but it is possible. I have to check for codes but other than the cruise issues I don't yet have any other symptoms of the dreaded p1345 but thanks very much for the reply

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
there are other pending codes that will cause the cruise to not operate. You will need a reader that provides pending codes other than one that just looks for codes that set the check engine light... as pending codes won't set the light.

m.mcmillen

Apr 29, 2016
Wisconsin
When I first bought my trailblazer, the cruise control would work intermittently and cycling the key would make it work. About a week after I bought it, I got a P0128 code which is for low coolant temperature. I'm sure it had a pending code in there and that's why it wouldn't work. The thermostat finally stuck open for enough drive cycles to trigger the check engine light.

I changed the thermostat and never had a cruise control problem again.

JAVINDRA

Original poster
May 27, 2018
brampton ontario canada
I really appreciate all the replies to this issue of intermittent cruise control set and I now realise it is more complicated than I originally thought. How do I know if I have a pending p 1345 code if it doesn't show up on the reader and I don't have any symptoms yet other than the cruise issue

jsinga

Jan 5, 2014
GA
CPAS Cam Position Actuator Solenoid. Up above power steering pump
Torque Pro and android phone and bluetooth ELM327 ODBII.
It will show up after a cold start.
JS

JAVINDRA

Original poster
May 27, 2018
brampton ontario canada
ok guys I just hooked up my OBD 2 to check for trouble codes and got 2 fault codes...PO340 position A bank 1 circuit malfunction and also PO304 cylinder 4 misfire so you guys that are talking about the camshaft position sensor appear to be correct but I am not sure about the rest of the fault sensor A bank 1has anyone got this particular fault message ...thanks... ps I have 348,000 klm or about 216 thousand miles for my American friends on the vehicle I erased the codes and will monitor in a couple of days

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Check the wiring to the cam sensor. It's in a vulnerable spot and could get damaged at the sensor. If it checks out, replace the sensor. Not too expensive and easy to do.

For the P1345, after fixing the cam sensor issues, you'll see if this is also fixed. If not, this code WILL disable your cruise control (ask me how I know).

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online