Intermediate steering shaft

smt 59

Original poster
Good day all,

It's time for me to pick some brains! has anyone had experience with the steering shaft in their Envoys, I have some sort of clunking feeling in the steering wheel even after replacing most of the front steering and suspension, I have read there was or is an issue with the intermediate shaft. What are some checks that I should do to confirm that this is actualy the cause. I had it at the dealer and was told all is tight and normal(no road test performed--why not?) but when I told them what I thought it was then all of a sudden they recalled an issue, bring it in and we will check again at my cost(Ya right!!) Any information would be great as I believe it is an easy repair.:confused:

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
I removed my lower connection once from the shaft to the rack and pinion assembly to install a spacer for the body lift. But I didn't have any issues in the shaft, so I've never gone in there deeper. I suspect most folks haven't. If you remove this piece, absolutely be careful rotating the steering wheel too much, because you can and will destroy your clockspring, the wiring gadget that brings all steering wheel button and horn and airbag signals up to the wheel. Don't bother asking me how I know. :redface:

View attachment 31013

Attachments

• 2011-01-22_023235_steering_shaft.gif
    2011-01-22_023235_steering_shaft.gif
    8.9 KB · Views: 41

smt 59

Original poster
Thanks for replying to my question, I 'm not completely convinced that this is the problym but will have to investgate a little deeper, I think this may have been more of an issue with the full size trucks. Talk to you soon.

:smile:

smt 59

Original poster
After alot of inspection and trying to find out the source of the clunking, I believe it is likely the new Monroe Quick Struts I had put in at the first of the year, the shop that installed them are going to inspect, but I suspect all would be great as it would be a warranty issue. So now I think that I will bite the bullet and upgrade to Bilsteins all around, What I need to know is what parts besides the strut do I need to purchase as the shop would have thrown everything out and bilstein does not have a quick strut system( Springs, bearings mounts etc.) I will be going back to OEM design.
Any information would be great.

:smile:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online