Interior Carpeting Shot

CaptainXL

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
So after owning my XL for about 1.5 years I finally decided to steam clean the carpet yesterday when my son spilled a cup of milk all over. Took about five hours including removing both second row seats. I went over the carpet about 5 times as it was extremely stained and dirty. The water kept coming up with what looked like coffee. There was also some melted crayon in the carpet as well. I cleaned up as much as I could but I guess it will not be enough. So the carpet is permanently stained and is dark grey now instead of the light grey that it comes with from the factory. Also when I do the sniff test it still smells bad. So I am done trying to steam clean anymore. I just find it gross that the previous owner never even attempted to steam clean it whatsoever.

So it looks like I am in the market for new carpeting. What premolded carpet would you guys recommend? I did a cursory search on the web and found a few places which offer a complete package for my XL which is around $250 less shipping. Is this a good deal or is this too cheap and do you recommend any particular brand over another? Thanks.

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
i replaced the carpet in my impala, came from a company called ACC, american custom carpets i think, from rockauto. i think its standard cut pile and its not bad. better than the nasty stuff it replaced. I think essex is the nicer, denser carpet. IMO if you large mats you can get away with the cheaper stuff but its up to you. I got mine "mass backed" which is a thick rubber backing so its not going to wrinkle on you

CaptainXL

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
jimmyjam said:
i replaced the carpet in my impala, came from a company called ACC, american custom carpets i think, from rockauto. i think its standard cut pile and its not bad. better than the nasty stuff it replaced. I think essex is the nicer, denser carpet. IMO if you large mats you can get away with the cheaper stuff but its up to you. I got mine "mass backed" which is a thick rubber backing so its not going to wrinkle on you

Thanks for the info. Is mass backing what comes from the factory?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
Stock interiors product description is exactly the same as acc... I think they just distribute them. Or maybe they just steal pics like switchback photos. :confused: The price on rock auto was cheaper when I was looking.

CaptainXL

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
jimmyjam said:
Stock interiors product description is exactly the same as acc... I think they just distribute them. Or maybe they just steal pics like switchback photos. :confused: The price on rock auto was cheaper when I was looking.

They just distribute for ACC. The how-to videos are from ACC. I ordered the full set the other day with the mass backing (like factory is). I ordered a few samples of grey carpet prior to this and I suggest it highly before making decisions. If you go to ACC's website they have stock color matches if this is what you are looking for.

It came delivered to my door yesterday. It was $350 total with discount applied. Shipping was quick. Although the price for the same carpeting from ACC is $634. I don't understand why they would charge more for the same carpet.

I will be replacing it this coming week. I am thinking of making an article/how-to about this. Does this sound tantalizing? I would take pics of what needs to come out, step by step, etc..

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
What is a good carpet stain cleaner?

CaptainXL

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Well the seats and the carpeting is out of the truck. I also removed the old padding and afixed it to the underside of the new carpet with some 3M Super 77 spray adhesive. It is worth noting that I also had to remove most of the interior side trim from the second row back.

Most of the crumbs vacuumed up nicely however I have a few spills to cleanup. Someone spilled hot chocolate in the rear cup holder so all that sticky mess needs to be cleaned up.

I also noticed glass pieces under the padding indicating both side rear windows were shattered at least once in the vehicles lifetime.

Some pics to come soon...

mcsteven

Apr 18, 2012
CaptainXL said:
I also noticed glass pieces under the padding indicating both side rear windows were shattered at least once in the vehicles lifetime.

Ouch - could indicate a previous collision (or a pissed off ex).:lipsrsealed:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.