Interesting tear down of a 5.3 from a TB

northcreek

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Did I hear correctly? Did he say there was no pickup tube and then never mention that again?
Yeah, I was waiting for the explanation too....:confused:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
No wonder it had low oil pressure! :laugh:

Probably was taken out by the techs that pulled the engine.

Reactions: BrianF

northcreek

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Looks like it's all there at 9:54.
Good eye, can't believe this guy missed it since he tears down engines like it's a bodily function.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Those are the are the pipes for the oil filter, which is located right in the middle rear of the pan. The pickup is bolted to the pump at the front of the crank as well as on the windage tray. It stays on the block when the pan is removed.

Reactions: northcreek

cornchip

Jan 6, 2013
I stand corrected. :duh: Here's a better picture showing the pan baffle hole where the pickup is located.

14-1.jpg

2020-03-22-22-05-47-jpg.575956

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
So I rewatched the video at the point he is removing the oil pan. It pretty much falls off as he loosens the bolts. So maybe he is accustomed to getting engines that have parts harvested before he gets them and just didn't mention that specifically.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I wouldnt say they were harvested. I am betting when the shop was trying to find out why there was low oil pressure, they pulled the pan to check for screen clog, and o-ring failure. They apparently saw something after they dropped the windage tray and pickup, and said its time for an engine.

Most engines from dealers come with everything needed for near drop in assembly. Valve covers, oil pan, etc. Just a matter of installing the intake and front diff (if equipped), and install.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Man, all he got out of that one was the intake manifold. Brutal end to this engine.

Reactions: northcreek

northcreek

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
WNY
This guy appears to be on a Trailblazer streak, so here is an SS engine tear down and more good info...

Reactions: Mooseman

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Just watched the first engine teardown. I knew to expect 'bad', but seeing one piston completely missing (!) out of the bore was just... 'holy sh!tsnacks!', as Pam Poovey would say.

The guy has me worried about my own #1 cam bearing on the Sierra, now (mine looked like that, but the info I had at the time said "don't worry about it" (and even some people here said don't worry about the bearings, if it's running well)). And it looked great when I tore it down, otherwise. Still is running great, but I'd been thinking about replacing the rings & bearings anyway (at a minimum). Now I know I'll do it for peace of mind (and future plans). But I'm going to AZ this winter, come hell or high water. Of course, now, I'll worry each and every mile about spinning a cam bearing, so it'll be a nerve-wracking drive, both ways.

It's probably time to start a new thread on my own engine / plans, and see what the forum has to say. Look for that later this week, as I get the parts I've accrued out of storage so I can add a pic or two to that thread.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
He scored better on this one. Pretty much everything is reusable except for the crank and pistons, which are common to all 6.0L. He'll have a nice engine there.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
All that damage, and the crank looks nearly undamaged. A rebalance, and its out the door.. This being a VVT and AFM engine, the carnage is not surprising.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online

No members online now.