Interested to hear opinions on rust prevention.

jmonica

Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
Hamburg, NJ
Uggg bored out of my mind right now but too lazt to get back into the garage for now and keep plugging away.

So never having seen this type of product before, I've recently started seeing commercials and other media about a company who offers an Oil based undercoating for vehicles. I mean actual oil as in coating the entire underneath with dripping wet oil like motor oil or something. I thought it was just a bad SNL type bit made to be funny but for the motortrend channel. I liken it to the Progressive commercial where they have an insurance based amusement park. Its just a really bad idea.

Before I comment I will say that it's apparent to me that such a treatment would actually be effective in terms of preventing rust. We've all seen cars with some type of oil based under carriage leak where the area that was covered by the leaking oil as it crawls its way from front to back overtime has prevented any and all rust and anything coated in the leaking oil is completely rust free. So without any firsthand testing, I think that it would be effective. I mean there's proof in every oil leaking rust bucket on the road that wet oil prevents metal from rusting. SO I don't doubt its effectiveness. I'm trying to make up my own absurd example of something that would work to solve a problem but its such a bad and impractical idea that it would be silly to try to sell the public on it but I can't think of a analogy at the moment

So ok it would be effective as long as the surface was covered with a film of wet oil, but I watched these guys spraying a car with their treatment I was cringing man. I could never have that done to one of my cars. I've spent enough time and busted knuckles over the years trying to fix PITA oil leaks that seeing my car with the entire bottom side coated in wet oil like that would drive me insane. I have a real cringe reaction to it when I see it being put on but only aftr I realized that it wasn't meant to be funny at all. These guys were dead serious about telling the world that they had discovered the end all-be all rust "vaccine" that was going to eradicate 100% of all rust from planet Earth. Forever.

I couldn't even wrap my head around it being real at first because I immediately thought haha that's funny. It was so obvious what a failure of an idea it was to me. Shows you how much ( or little) I know. I feel like any self respecting car lover would naturally feel the same way but I guess I'm not the visionary that I thought I was because that company seems to be thriving and growing.

It's not a new idea apparently and I've always pictured it being done the first time by some not highly educated lug head type guy you see in movies who's being ridiculed by the rest of the guys when he shows them what he's come up with all on his own. And yet he still believes it's a genius idea. The old "don't let anyone tell you that you can't do something" story.

Does anyone else have a problem doing that to one of their cars? Let's assume it is VERY effective and would guarantee to protect against ever having even a spec of rust on your car for life. Oh and it only costs ten cents to have it applied. The only trade off being that your car would be eternally drenched in oil underneath forever. It just goes against the grain man/ So much so that I predict that that company will be out of business fairly soon and the process will be relegate to DIY'ers by selling $20 Rust proofing kits at Walmart in a rattle can. It also comes with a pair of disposable cardboard eye protection and an oil spill mat for under the car. Of course you can get the deluxe Kit for $30. That includes a smaller travel size can of oil drench to keep in your glove box for roadside touch-ups when you and the car just feel "dry" for some reason and the only surefire cure is a nice quick re-drenching of oil. Plus it includes a "deluxe" spill mat which is almost DOUBLE the size of the standard kit.

That's how ludiucrous the idea seems to me. And I know there are going to be "voices of reason" who respond by saying it's actually a very brilliant and effective method of rust proofing and here are the 73 scientifically proven reasons why you're an idiot (meaning me). Thanks but save it. This reaction is not fact based. Its based purely on my own emotions. I'm never, ever coating my entire vehicles underbelly with oil and letting it stay there forever. hehe

Now do you believe me when I said I am bored as heck? Uh oh, I think I hear the guys i white suits coming down the street. And now I'm STILL bored! I almost wish that I drank right now.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You must'a missed PF's video on this very subject.

I wish there was a shop that used Fluid Film but I would say that most use similar products. These shops and applications are popular up here and I usually have it done (I forgot to have it done to the TB this year). There are DIY kits available to apply Fluid Film. I may try it once I have my own garage to work in.

Reactions: xavierny25

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011
Ziebart does this as well as they can undercoat the vehicle. Think rhino lining the bottom of the vehicle. Probably going to have my truck done this summer.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
The rhino lining Ziebart is apsolutely horrid, and will advance the rusting of the underbody by years. Stay away from it!

Beacon

Mar 22, 2019
SouthWestern PA
I know plenty of people who cut their used motor oil with diesel so it will spray, and apply it every fall. I don't like the idea because I have an excellent ability to be covered in grease, head to toe, simply by lifting the hood, and laying under a car that has this type of undercoating would only make things worse for me.

Reactions: Pygot

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
Sterling Heights, Michigan
@Mooseman I was looking into getting a gallon/few cans of fluid film for this summer after I remove the rust from the frame and replace most of the suspension parts.

Do you just reapply yearly or once before winter and once in the middle of winter?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It's usually once a year before rust season.

Reactions: Maverick6587

Pygot

Dec 6, 2019
RI
Uggg bored out of my mind right now but too lazt to get back into the garage for now and keep plugging away.

So never having seen this type of product before, I've recently started seeing commercials and other media about a company who offers an Oil based undercoating for vehicles. I mean actual oil as in coating the entire underneath with dripping wet oil like motor oil or something. I thought it was just a bad SNL type bit made to be funny but for the motortrend channel. I liken it to the Progressive commercial where they have an insurance based amusement park. Its just a really bad idea.

Before I comment I will say that it's apparent to me that such a treatment would actually be effective in terms of preventing rust. We've all seen cars with some type of oil based under carriage leak where the area that was covered by the leaking oil as it crawls its way from front to back overtime has prevented any and all rust and anything coated in the leaking oil is completely rust free. So without any firsthand testing, I think that it would be effective. I mean there's proof in every oil leaking rust bucket on the road that wet oil prevents metal from rusting. SO I don't doubt its effectiveness. I'm trying to make up my own absurd example of something that would work to solve a problem but its such a bad and impractical idea that it would be silly to try to sell the public on it but I can't think of a analogy at the moment

So ok it would be effective as long as the surface was covered with a film of wet oil, but I watched these guys spraying a car with their treatment I was cringing man. I could never have that done to one of my cars. I've spent enough time and busted knuckles over the years trying to fix PITA oil leaks that seeing my car with the entire bottom side coated in wet oil like that would drive me insane. I have a real cringe reaction to it when I see it being put on but only aftr I realized that it wasn't meant to be funny at all. These guys were dead serious about telling the world that they had discovered the end all-be all rust "vaccine" that was going to eradicate 100% of all rust from planet Earth. Forever.

I couldn't even wrap my head around it being real at first because I immediately thought haha that's funny. It was so obvious what a failure of an idea it was to me. Shows you how much ( or little) I know. I feel like any self respecting car lover would naturally feel the same way but I guess I'm not the visionary that I thought I was because that company seems to be thriving and growing.

It's not a new idea apparently and I've always pictured it being done the first time by some not highly educated lug head type guy you see in movies who's being ridiculed by the rest of the guys when he shows them what he's come up with all on his own. And yet he still believes it's a genius idea. The old "don't let anyone tell you that you can't do something" story.

Does anyone else have a problem doing that to one of their cars? Let's assume it is VERY effective and would guarantee to protect against ever having even a spec of rust on your car for life. Oh and it only costs ten cents to have it applied. The only trade off being that your car would be eternally drenched in oil underneath forever. It just goes against the grain man/ So much so that I predict that that company will be out of business fairly soon and the process will be relegate to DIY'ers by selling $20 Rust proofing kits at Walmart in a rattle can. It also comes with a pair of disposable cardboard eye protection and an oil spill mat for under the car. Of course you can get the deluxe Kit for $30. That includes a smaller travel size can of oil drench to keep in your glove box for roadside touch-ups when you and the car just feel "dry" for some reason and the only surefire cure is a nice quick re-drenching of oil. Plus it includes a "deluxe" spill mat which is almost DOUBLE the size of the standard kit.

That's how ludiucrous the idea seems to me. And I know there are going to be "voices of reason" who respond by saying it's actually a very brilliant and effective method of rust proofing and here are the 73 scientifically proven reasons why you're an idiot (meaning me). Thanks but save it. This reaction is not fact based. Its based purely on my own emotions. I'm never, ever coating my entire vehicles underbelly with oil and letting it stay there forever. hehe

Now do you believe me when I said I am bored as heck? Uh oh, I think I hear the guys i white suits coming down the street. And now I'm STILL bored! I almost wish that I drank right now.
Yea so I use POR 15 personally and it dries like paint. No rust in 3yrs since I applied it

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Was wondering when someone would mention one of the rust conversion products like POR-15.

I'm probably going to do the same thing to my Sierra, since it's a good candidate.
@Pygot -- how much material did you use? (assuming you did your whole frame)

It's my understanding that an opened container only gives a few days before it 'goes bad', so I want to order enough to do the job and not have a lot left over (of course, I could order a small quantity and get more as needed, but I want to do the steps start-finish, once I start either the surface prep solution or the final coating.)

Pygot

Dec 6, 2019
RI
Was wondering when someone would mention one of the rust conversion products like POR-15.

I'm probably going to do the same thing to my Sierra, since it's a good candidate.
@Pygot -- how much material did you use? (assuming you did your whole frame)

It's my understanding that an opened container only gives a few days before it 'goes bad', so I want to order enough to do the job and not have a lot left over (of course, I could order a small quantity and get more as needed, but I want to do the steps start-finish, once I start either the surface prep solution or the final coating.)
An old friend of mine taught me a trick when you go to close the can of paint leave it cracked and fill it with butane from a lighter and then seal the can to keep the paint from drying. As to how much: all of it! The more the better. have the spray can stuff for the inside of the frame rails and the paint for everything else. Definitely wire brush the rust FIRST and then paint and it will seal up very nice.

Reactions: jmonica

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
As to how much: all of it!

Hmm.... apparently, I communicated poorly, last post. Let me try again... :lightbulb:

Exactly what quantities (of each product step) did you use to complete your vehicle? Thx :tiphat:

Reactions: Pygot and Beacon

Pygot

Dec 6, 2019
RI
Hmm.... apparently, I communicated poorly, last post. Let me try again... :lightbulb:

Exactly what quantities (of each product step) did you use to complete your vehicle? Thx :tiphat:
I used I quart for one 06 Honda Crv MT build and about 1 and a half cans (presumably see below) for a saab 97x (both super overkill amounts). Never saw rust since I went to go touch it up a year later and I ended painting nothing bc it looked great. Cover Rear axle, control arms, floorpan, NOT the exhaust!!! and basically everything metal besides that. Will get pics of underbody once Im done painting it, I have only sprayed the inside of the frame rails and the bottom of the doors as it is winter in east bumf*ck and pavement is hard to come by around here. Tl;DR 1.5 quarts for a frame could take 4 hours depending if you have a lift or not. Fair word of caution I use a mask and eye glasses as well as golves and ONLY long sleeve clothes you are going to throw away bc anything the POR-15 paint gets on, stays. I have rocks in my front yard with this stuff from 3 years ago..
Note: One picture is what it looks like in rain

Attachments

• 20191027_151140.jpg
    20191027_151140.jpg
    636.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 20191024_133130.jpg
    20191024_133130.jpg
    622.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 20191027_151153.jpg
    20191027_151153.jpg
    609 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Reactions: Reprise

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
@Pygot Nice mention, I forgot about Por 15. It looks like it has held up well!

Although it would take longer initially, Por 15 would be cheaper in the long run. Did you use the rubberized undercoating or the standard rust preventative coating? I assume either would do the job.

Reading from the Por 15 website. It looks like (for this rust discussion) that you need to apply the standard por 15 rust preventative let it dry and then apply the rubberized undercoating on top of the rust preventative. I think I'm going to use that method, this spring (In a few weeks it looks like). A light coat of the rubberized on top of the preventative and then a multiple coats of rubberized on the under-body for sound deadening.

Pygot

Dec 6, 2019
RI
@Pygot Nice mention, I forgot about Por 15. It looks like it has held up well!

Although it would take longer initially, Por 15 would be cheaper in the long run. Did you use the rubberized undercoating or the standard rust preventative coating? I assume either would do the job.

Reading from the Por 15 website. It looks like (for this rust discussion) that you need to apply the standard por 15 rust preventative let it dry and then apply the rubberized undercoating on top of the rust preventative. I think I'm going to use that method, this spring (In a few weeks it looks like). A light coat of the rubberized on top of the preventative and then a multiple coats of rubberized on the under-body for sound deadening.
Aslong as you paint the big rust you can get away with spray for light rust but I do like that procedure better! Will be doing it that way w/ wire brushing as well.

Reactions: Maverick6587

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
Did you use 2 (1 and a half) quarts of the por 15 on the 97x? Trying to gauge how much of the preventative and the rubberized coating to buy.

Pygot

Dec 6, 2019
RI
Did you use 2 (1 and a half) quarts of the por 15 on the 97x? Trying to gauge how much of the preventative and the rubberized coating to buy.
I would buy at least one big can (quart I believe)and a small one and I used 2 spray bottles on the Honda so maybe 3 for the 97x? Personally I would buy 2 big cans but it is way overkill I would end up keeping the rest for other projects

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
FYI -- I was on their site yesterday, looking around. They have a small starter kit ('stop rust kit') that is supposed to cover 6 sq/ft, so you get all 3 products (cleaner, prep, coating) on a trial basis without having to spend a fortune. It's priced at $23 and change, and they'll give free shipping on it).

They also have a 10% off code - enter '10Y20' in the shopping cart.

That kit contains 8oz each of the cleaner & prep solutions, and a 4oz can of the coating. If it covers 6 sq ft successfully (2 coats), then you can use that to figure out how much more you'll need for your vehicle.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online