Intake Gasket Replacement - What Else At Same Time / Difficulty of Job

yonkerss

Original poster
Apr 7, 2012
Hi All,

Well my '04 Rainier with the 5.3 needs to have the intake gaskets replaced. Shop I trust diagnosed this to be the cause of the rough idle after I took it in getting fed up without being able to find the cause and hoping it was not the intake gaskets.

Anyhow after a quote of $800-1500 (unsure why the range - mechanic just said depends on what else is bad) I am thinking about doing it myself. I am a relatively competent DIY mechanic with a good set of tools. I did the same repair on my '05 Bonneville with the 3800 V6. Anyhow have any idea how the two compare in difficulty?

Onto the heart of this post.

Truck has 118k on it. Anything else I should plan on doing while I have it all apart doing this repair? How do I check various other parts for need to be replacing while doing this repair - the knock sensors for example.

Planning on using the better Felpro metal framed gaskets for the repair. Any other suggestions?

Any rough estimate how long this repair took some of you other guys? Thinking about setting 2 days aside incase I run into issues.

Lastly this 5.3 like many others uses oil. I would say 1 quart every 1000-1500 miles roughly. Truck is driven 80% city and 20% highway on average. Should I think about doing the drivers side valve cover at the same time? Passenger side sort of concerns me as I do not want to get into breaking apart the AC lines.

Thanks Guys!
Scott

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
its pretty easy to swap gaskets on the v8. Unclip the fuel rail from the line, remove the evap solenoid, disconnect the injector wiring, and unscrew it from the heads. brake booster hose is on the back, pcv in the middle. its very easy

just make sure you don't drop nothin in the intake ports :redface:

you won't really save much time doing the valve cover at the same time, but it won't hurt anything. definitely don't need to mess with ac lines, just move them out of the way a little. Ive heard of people removing an engine without losing refrigerant.

yonkerss

Original poster
Apr 7, 2012
Thanks! Watched a video on youtube for an '03 Sierra 5.3 gasket change so have a pretty good idea.

Anything else to check / do? How do you test/check the knock sensors?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online